Allergy testing came back and told us NOTHING! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 34 Old 05-27-2009, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please delete my account and all data. My phones, emails, computers, forums, etc. have been professionally hacked by a domestic abuser. Thank you for your prompt attention to this serious matter.

Last edited by anonymoususername; 07-22-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 34 Old 05-27-2009, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Please delete my account and all data. My phones, emails, computers, forums, etc. have been professionally hacked by a domestic abuser. Thank you for your prompt attention to this serious matter.

Last edited by anonymoususername; 07-22-2015 at 09:39 AM.
#3 of 34 Old 05-27-2009, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Gee, I'm so shocked. Hmm... guess sarcasm doesn't come through on here... Just because IgE allergy testing didn't show anything, don't assume that he doesn't have problems with food: intolerances. We took DS to the allergist when he was 6 months old because he projectile vomited whenever I ingested milk. They said, it's negative, go home and drink milk. So I did. Oh look, the projectile vomiting is back. Did they say anything about possible intolerances? or any other food reaction? No. Allergists are the LAST people who believe in intolerances. I swear, they should have mandatory classes on food intolerances. And eczema can be caused by environmental allergies, food allergies, or food intolerances. Allergists annoy me. Can you tell?

What was the blanket made out of? Is it possible that it's a contact dermatitis to something? Even detergent? Or are you the one who is very finicky about detergent and stuff so you've already ruled that out?

I'm sorry that the allergist didn't help you. I wouldn't jump right back on to dairy formula though. I'd still try to get to the bottom of it before adding anything back in. Have you tried a pediatric GI? Are there any digestive issues or sleep issues along with the skin issues, or is it only skin?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)

#4 of 34 Old 05-27-2009, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
This almost looks like psoriasis to me, which is exacerbated by heat.

hh2.gif

#5 of 34 Old 05-27-2009, 01:54 PM

Ditto Kathy. The test are meaningless when determining if they actually have a problem w/ a food you just know it won't be an ana reaction. It likely is a food intolerance which they didn't test for at all and it is just excaberated by the heat. I would certainly change to a hypo detergent if you haven't already and not use perfumed products and such on them-, which for even the natural products even have dubious ingredients a lot.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#6 of 34 Old 05-27-2009, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Last edited by anonymoususername; 07-22-2015 at 09:40 AM.
#7 of 34 Old 05-27-2009, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

#8 of 34 Old 05-27-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolemarie View Post
So tell me what to do. I have done everything I know how to do. He is not on dairy (hasn't been for several weeks) and we have seen ZERO improvement. I'm not sure what soap was used on the blanket...but he was fully clothed under the blanket.

We rewashed all of his clothes/blankets in baking soda and a second wash in plain water.

We are trying so hard to find a rhyme or reason...and we see a really good naturopath. She put him on Alimentum, Neocate probiotic and fish oil and she believes it is internal.
Besides food intolerances, that aren't identified by IgE allergy tests, it could be nutrient deficiencies. I'm not sure how old he is, but I'd be talking to a naturopathic doctor about cod liver oil, biotin (esp. with cradle cap), yeast overgrowth, or other things that are causing his immune system to be out of whack.
#9 of 34 Old 05-27-2009, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

#10 of 34 Old 05-27-2009, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

#11 of 34 Old 05-27-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
He has mild GI issues...we suspect his esophagus/throat is itchy. It was at it's worst on donor breastmilk, but it could have been the timing too. It has been the best on Alimentum...but the rash has not changed.

What about sugar? I break out in acne from sugar and I know it's a common cause of eczema/skin issues...but very few people want to talk about it because it's such an addiction. His formula is 4.4% sugar and the milk from our donors could be even higher. It's just a thought. Allergies and skin issues are so complex.
Breakouts from sugar would make me suspect a yeast overgrowth (yeast feed on sugar), which is part of the whole allergy puzzle.
#12 of 34 Old 05-27-2009, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

#13 of 34 Old 05-27-2009, 03:06 PM

Just wanted to let you know that all the allergy tests (RAST and Skin Prick Test)our ped or allergist ran on DD2 came back negative. They both thought I was being an over reactive mother even suggesting counseling for parenting.

We took her to a holistic doctor and had a bunch of blood work run and an ELISA test. You know what that ELISA test ran like 115 different foods and showed she was reacting to 21 of them. Some we already had removed from her diet, some I was beginning to suspect, but some I had no idea. Also the other blood work confirmed her guts are not working properly but she doesn't have a yeast issue (thankfully).

We have been eliminated all the foods she reacting to plus a couple others and she is really doing tons better. One of reactions is a rash on her checks which will get worse when she is hot or stressed. It starts as little bumps but will spread and swell - she almost looks like someone slapped her hard on the cheek. Sometimes it almost looks like a chemical burn - which in a way it really is.

Good luck as you try to figure it out for your son. I know how hard it is to not get any answers that help alleviate his pain and suffering, but you can think of it as one more piece of information you do know, like now you know his likely allergies did not show up on RAST. How old is your son? I ask because my understanding is that RAST isn't always accurate for little ones. I think not until they are over the age of 3 or 4 maybe - I can't remember. Hugs to you and your son.
#14 of 34 Old 05-27-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
He had the IgE in addition to specific testing for specific things...not just the IgE. I heard from other moms that it doesn't hurt to do the allergy testing if it can give you a clue. Her son was allergic to milk, eggs and shrimp. It took out the guessing for her and his reactions were gone. I am no expert and I am coming here for help from knowledgeable moms who are experienced with a very severe rash and possible allergies. For all we know, this isn't an allergy at all...maybe it's an auto-immune disorder...maybe it's a vaccine reaction. How can I know???? All I know is that I am trying to help my BABY!
It doesn't hurt to do the IgE testing. It rules out IgE reactions. It just doesn't help identify foods if it is a food intolerance. That's all I was saying. If there's a skin reaction and GI issues, I suspect food as well. Can you try another formula? My DS couldn't tolerate Nutramigen, but did fine on Neocate. He's not on any solids yet, correct? Is there anything in the cod liver oil (like soy; mixed tocopherols)? And there's nothing in the probiotic either, correct? Has it gotten worse since being on the probiotic? or better? or no change? I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but I'm hoping it'll help trigger an answer...

Also, ALCAT worked for us in terms of identifying triggers (though there were some false negatives) but insurance didn't cover it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#15 of 34 Old 05-27-2009, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
He is a cutie. How old is he? How long on formula?

Skin is a detox pathway.

"Cradle cap" and eczema is often/usually blocked detox pathways resulting from nutrient deficiency, particularly biotin, essential fatty acids, B-vitamins, folate.

Or yeast: http://www.allergy.org.uk/candida.htm
http://www.nourish.net.nz/articles-c...ac=311&art=570

Or food intolerances due to improperly digested proteins as a result of inadequate stomach acid, thus nutrient absorption issues, leading to damaged gut and immune problems long term.

Or improper microbial balance in the gut.

Formula rarely (never?) provides for the adequate supply of all of these. Furthermore, antibiotics for either of you before or after birth leads to gut microbial imbalance. Antacids lead to improperly digested proteins, imbalances in the gut microbials, etc.

I'd suggest water kefir to help recolonize the gut.

Consider trialing the Weston Price dairy-free homemade formula for improved nutrient-dense alternatives.
Recipes for Homemade Baby Formula:
http://www.westonaprice.org/children/recipes.html
http://www.westonaprice.org/children/nourish-baby.html

FAQs: http://www.westonaprice.org/children/formula-faqs.html

I'd explore environmental allergens also. Do you have a HEPA air filter in the bedroom, dust mite covers on the mattress and pillows, no animals or stuffed animals in the bedroom, windows closed to bedroom at all times to avoid pollens, grasses, tree allergen exposures?

GMO-corn is a difficult protein to digest for some (most?) children and adults. Corn is in EVERYTHING. Dairy exposure is everywhere. Here is a list of hidden diary: http://www.kellymom.com/store/handou...dden-dairy.pdf

Hidden corn: http://www.cornallergens.com/list/co...ergen-list.php

Here is a link with more information about eliminating airborne allergens: https://www.mothering.com/discussions...l#post12748820

I would do whole food probiotics, cod liver oil, magnesium, vit. C, zinc, coconut oil, bone broths, green juices. Support the immune system. The gut is 70% of our immune system. Antibiotics damage the microbial balance in the gut.

Basically, you have to heal the gut to strengthen the immune system. Check out the "Healing the Gut-cheat sheet" at the top of the forum. https://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=434071

It all starts with nutrient-dense foods, effective digestion (with adequate stomach acid), absorption of nutrients (in the gut with balanced microbials), and detoxification of the chemical byproducts of foods and environmental toxins in the liver.

Start here about detox pathways: http://heal-thyself.ning.com/forum/t...bstacle-course

And here are a few informal videos about detox pathways: http://heal-thyself.ning.com/video/video

and here about evaluating digestion and stomach acid (beet "pink pee" test"): http://heal-thyself.ning.com/forum/topics/the-beet-test

This thread about Healing the Gut with Food: http://heal-thyself.ning.com/forum/t...-gut-with-food

Nutrient Dense Foods: http://heal-thyself.ning.com/forum/t...nt-dense-foods

Foods to Help Phase I and Phase II Detoxification:
http://heal-thyself.ning.com/forum/t...4160Comment655

check out www.eatingcultures.com to try and guess on some of your detox pathways, and figure out which nutrients will be important for you. And www.detoxpuzzle.com to identify some of your detox pathways, nutrient deficiencies/needs.

If you want to offer "solids" after 6 months, consider

Water (or raw goat milk) kefir.
Bone broth.
Green juice.
Sauerkraut juice.

Mineral water.
Baby Calm.
Grass-fed liver.
Local, pastured egg yolk.
Celtic sea salt.

CLO-fermented.
Coconut oil.

With infant allergies, I'd recommend waiting until closer to 1 yr before introducing solids; and no jar foods as they are nutrient neutral, at best and are basically empty filler calories.

NO GRAINS.

Your mama's milk is exactly what your baby was meant to have. Have you considered relactating?
Re: Relactation, Induced Lactation:
https://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=969721

I'd try cultured raw goat's milk and/or homemade liver formula, with 1:1 fresh green juice, until you have more breastmilk to offer. I'd make kefir from the goat's milk. And I'd give 1 tsp of Bubbies sauerkraut juice to baby 2-3 x per day, after age 6 months. Whole food probiotics will help baby's gut to heal.

Additionally, here is more information about eliminating environmental allergens: https://www.mothering.com/discussions...l#post13380214 There is an overfull "bucket" effect to allergens and reactions.

I'd recommend consulting a professional homeopath for prescribing a classical homeopathic remedy specifically for his individual constitution. The homeopath would take into consideration other issues and address them concurrently, as they are part of the picture: dietary issues, sleep, eczema, the runny eyes, throat clearing, behaviors, fears, aversions, cravings, etc. All come into play, birth issues, chronic illness, etc.

I always prefer whole food probiotics.
Not sure which probiotics you all are using, if any. But, none of the bottled probiotics have the same ability to withstand the stomach acid and remain viable into the large intestine as non-dairy kefir, fermented vegetables. Those are quite easy, if you need more info. But, infants need bifidum bacteria. I believe that Kirkmans has an allergen-free version.

I would eliminate dairy from your diet. Dairy is the most common source of dietary allergen (and mucus production). Here is a list of hidden diary: http://www.kellymom.com/store/handou...dden-dairy.pdf

Epsom salt baths are the most important addition, imo. Daily.

Pat

I have a blog.
#16 of 34 Old 05-27-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
For all we know, this isn't an allergy at all...maybe it's an auto-immune disorder...maybe it's a vaccine reaction. How can I know???? All I know is that I am trying to help my BABY!

Hugs mama!

We all share your frustration! Many of us have been where you are at, or continue to be there. It can be so overwhelming and exhausting, especially when the "professionals" who are ostensibly there to help you often seem to be working against you.

My son tested negative on IgE tests as well, but I am certain after 4 months of EDing and food journaling that his symptoms are food-related and systemic. You can look into the outliers, like environmental sensitivities (polyester, wool, chemicals) but most likley the issue is food related. If so, this may be the beginning of a long journey to make sense of it. Patience is required, as is self-love. ::: Fortunately the women here are so kind and supportive and will share incredible amounts of knowledge and love with you!

Does your son have any other issues/symptoms?
#17 of 34 Old 05-27-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
I agree...and that is exactly what our naturopath is thinking too. So what else can we do for him if it is a yeast/sugar issue? Can we do any testing for the yeast to check the severity? Can we give a stronger dose of probiotic? Is there another supplement that will help control the yeast growth?
Biotin fights yeast, so does the probiotic s.boulardii (Kirkman's makes one that's dairy free; Florastor is another, but I don't know if it's dairy free). Pat's post is awesome, too.
#18 of 34 Old 05-27-2009, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

#19 of 34 Old 05-27-2009, 05:14 PM

A couple thoughts. He was on regular dairy-based formula from birth, right? Then, switched to donor milk when he came to you? Then, he went on Alimentum, which is a hypoallergenic, but also dairy-based formula, right?

If all that is really true, it could be that he's never been truly dairy free (because many women have leaky gut and don't know it, so the dairy proteins they consume get into their milk). He may need to go on an elemental formula (even more hypoallergenic than hypoallergenic).

His rash reminds me A LOT of Matey's little boy. I'll see if I can find his pictures. She did a lot of eliminating, as i recall, but until she got out ALL dairy, it didn't go away. But when she did, the improvement was dramatic.

Be back in a minute when I find the pictures.

https://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=868682 Read the comments and she explains that she used saline in conjunction with food elimination. And after reading that thread again, I think her little one ended up having multiple allergies. You could pm her. She's nice

Also, do you know what your probiotic is grown on? If it's a dairy source, you may need to find another if you're going to try for and ED. Also, what strains are in the probiotic? Bifido bacteria are the ones that should be found in the gut of infants in the greatest numbers.
#20 of 34 Old 05-27-2009, 07:04 PM

Agreed on trying a different formula. Here's a table that shows a lot of different regular formulas and what is in them. Alimentum is milk based protein (casein), and has some soy fats, but is corn and lactose free.

I'd definitely be trying one that is truly dairy and soy free (like one of the elemental formulas, Elecare or Neocate, not sure if there are others) - dairy and soy are top intolerances, and common to have together.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#21 of 34 Old 05-27-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
He was on regular dairy-based formula from birth, right? Then, switched to donor milk when he came to you? Then, he went on Alimentum, which is a hypoallergenic, but also dairy-based formula, right?
This is exactly what I was thinking! My ds could not get rid of his rash until he was put on an elemental formula which is completely dairy free. He was on Nutramigen (like Alimentum) before and although things were slightly better, he was certainly not baseline. He also was unable to take donor bm. There are a couple of elemental formulas I am familiar with. My ds drinks EleCare and the other one is called NeoCate. They are EXPENSIVE! Some insurances will cover (ours won't) but I am able to buy it off Ebay for so much less that it actually ends up costing the same as regular formula. And if you can get WIC, they cover NeoCate.
#22 of 34 Old 05-27-2009, 08:02 PM

Neocate was covered by our insurance. The GI doctor told us we had to try the Nutramigen first, just to document that he couldn't tolerate it, for 24 hours, then to try the Neocate (he was pretty sure that DS couldn't tolerate the Nutramigen since he was milk/soy intolerant). It happened just like he called it, and he was fine on the Neocate. Our insurance at the time was an HMO and covered it completely. If it happened with the insurance we've had the last few years, we'd have to pay the (high) deductible first, and then they'd still only cover 80%.

#23 of 34 Old 05-27-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Alimentum is milk based protein (casein), and has some soy fats, but is corn and lactose free.
Just want to clarify for anyone needing corn-free formula. Only the Alimentum RTF is corn free. Corn Maltodextrin 35.5% is the first ingredient of the powder.
#24 of 34 Old 06-01-2009, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

#25 of 34 Old 06-01-2009, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
:

hh2.gif

#26 of 34 Old 06-01-2009, 04:31 PM

Great news! I hope that your lo has relief soon!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#27 of 34 Old 06-02-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
UPDATE: Allergy testing came back. He is negative for allergies to soy, dairy, peanuts, dust, mold, cats, egg yolk, corn & fish. The only allergy was a slight positive for Egg Whites. (Are egg

So here's the history...

The Dr's are calling it eczema...but it started on his head (cradle cap) and spread to his forehead, down his face, then down his neck and finally the trunk of his body. His legs are not affected and his arms are mild. It has slowly gotten worse over the course of 2.5 months. His hair is falling out. It starts out as bumps and turns into raised, scaly, red patches. It oozes in some of the worse areas.

What about?
1. Strep (no, tested negative)
2. Staph (Dr's are saying no)
3. Allergies (see above)
4. Eczema (from what?)
5. Autoimmune (how do we begin testing?)
6. Liver issues (how would we know?)
7. Hormonal issues
8. ??????????
What about wheat? Wheat is one of the top-eight allergens. Millions of people are allergic to wheat — so many, in fact, that it has made it onto the top-eight allergen list. What about gluten?

And

What about number 7 - Vitamin D, It's actually a hormone, Vitamin D deficiently can cause skin issue among MNAY other issues Just an idea

What about a food intolerance not an allergy just another idea
#28 of 34 Old 06-02-2009, 11:11 AM

So glad you found some answers! I hope you LO is feeling better, and it definitely sounds like you are

By the way, these were characteristics of my son's eczema...

Quote:
From day one I have been saying two key things that I feel weren't heard loudly enough and I kept repeating them until I was hoarse.

1. His rash started on his head, spread to his face and then appeared on his upper body and finally to the entire trunk.
2. His rash responds loudly to heat and warmth.
#29 of 34 Old 06-02-2009, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Last edited by anonymoususername; 07-22-2015 at 09:41 AM.
#30 of 34 Old 06-02-2009, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Last edited by anonymoususername; 07-22-2015 at 09:41 AM.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page