I posted this in the c-section allergies thread but thought I'd do it separately as I haven't gotten any responses. Any help is appreciated. Many questions!
I had a c-section and I've been battling a yeast rash in my 6 week old for 4 1/2 weeks. The rash is red dots on either side of his anus, red on his cheeks, with little bumps in the creases of his legs. I started on probiotics two days after surgery but it must not have been enough. I thought I had a decent regimen for the rash (vinegar in bath, air time, lotrimin alternating with coconut oil/oregano oil/TTO mixture) but the rash is NOT healing. He was pretty fussy for a few days last week week and I tried cutting out dairy, not sure if it would make a difference so soon (if even an issue) but he was back to himself after a day. Then I had a Wendy's frostie Saturday night and Sunday morning, he was in obvious discomfort then he's been fine since. I'm not sure how long it would take to get out of my system if the dairy alone could be causing the rash.
Either way, I believe I need to kill some yeast quickly and from reading what has been said in the long c-section allergy thread, I want to do something quicker than diet would do.
I had a yeast infection that I thought was gone by the end of my pregnancy but I now think it was not. We do not vaccinate. Breastfeeding is going well. No thrush that I can tell (pink nipples but not really any pain and no white patches). Poops are good though not as seedy as they have been, more wet, but mustardy-yellow. He's gained over three pounds in 6 weeks. I have no fillings.
I asked for an Rx for nystatin powder today from my m/w but she can't prescribe that for me. I then called the pedi to get one for DS, and pedi was willing to go with my idea of treating internally and they'll call in the powder for him
, but the pharmacy won't have it till Monday. I was about to order Threelac overnight to arrive Monday before the pedi called back.
Should I take the nystatin power myself, OR give it to him? Wait for Threelac? Any help? I purchased a good probiotic and Candex in preparation for taking nystatin myself, as well and my 6 week old's Pharmex infant probiotics arrived today. Seems like I shouldn't bother treating the yeast in him if I don't treat it in me. I wanted to start the kill today. We travel on the 24th so I hope the die off can start and mostly feel better by then (but continue the kill). Is that foolish to try? Should I wait until after the trip?
Should I perhaps just try the probiotic on him and see if that helps? I'd think the yeast would still need to be killed though.
1. If I do Threelac, do I also take the enzyme (candex)? Is oxygen elements a must-have with Threelac?
2. I have nystatin cream...should I try that again on his bottom?
3. What order and spacing should I do the nystatin, probiotic and enzyme, or with Threelac, oxygen elements and enzyme? One probiotic is 12b bacteria...is one enough when I do take it?
4. Is this
a dosage to follow if I use nystatin? (Dr. Buscher) Is the children's dose ok for young infant?
5. Should I expect his rash to get worse after the kill before it gets better?
I want to start this ASAP!! I would like to get this going before our trip unless that's dumb to try (we leave in 12 days, though perhaps the worst of the die-off should be well over by then), otherwise it'll be about three weeks before I can do anything about it and I am really concerned about his rash. For this weekend, should I perhaps do Candex, probiotic in me and him, and drink diluted GSE (myself)?
ETA: Apparenty the powder is not available, only the liquid. Last night I decided to go ahead and order the Threelac and oxygen elements. DS had some dark flecks in his diaper this morning - from what I read, that seems to be yeast die off, right? Also, I was pretty gassy last night after only taking 2 candex and then later on, a probiotic. His rash is also not as red but I'm not sure if that was his chiro adjustment, me stopping peanut butter, or his own probiotic, or the thicker barrier cream we used yesterday