Need help! Allergic colitis? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 2 Old 06-15-2009, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello Mamas! I am hoping someone can help me. I am completely overwhelmed now and not sure what else to try. I have been battling this for 4 months...

My DD never had any issues until her 4 month vaccinations. Two days after her vaccinations (Rota #2, PC #2, HepB #2, DTap #2, IPV #2, Hib #2) she had blood in her stool. I called the doctor and he said its probably an allergy to dairy, stop eating dairy. And she would probably grow out of it by 12 months.

I cut dairy, but there was no improvement. So I did a hardcore elimination diet from Dr. Sears website. And we discovered soy was her trigger, not dairy. So I have been watching what I eat carefully to avoid soy. Soybean oils and Soy lecithin don't seem to be a problem, just Soy proteins.

We have seen improvement, but yesterday there was blood again (she's 8 months old now). And I ate nothing out of the ordinary, all the foods were something I have eaten many times in the past 4 months with no blood.

I am just at wits end. I want to keep breastfeeding DD (we are doing baby-led solids too) but I am worried about long-term allergies or problems. There are no dietary issues in my family, but DH's sister has a gluten allergy and digestive issues seems to be common.

I want to try the diet suggested in Real Foods for Mother and Baby, but DH isn't sure about it since he has high cholesterol.

Any suggestions? Recommendations? Advise?

Thanks!
Janice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 06-15-2009, 11:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dairy is the most common food allergy, so I might consider cutting dairy again for a few weeks and see if that helps. Did you cut it out 100% initially, watching for hidden ingredients?

Are you keeping a food journal? It really could be any food (and often is multiple foods), so the food journal is vital for helping you to spot patterns with symptoms and your diet.

eta: Another thing I just thought of- have you checked all the ingredients in the packaged foods you're eating? Maybe one of them switched the ingredients and added soy? Or maybe x-con, if it's made on shared equipment with soy?

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page