I know this is food related, but is it an allergy? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 10-20-2009, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi. I've been away from the boards for a while, but am back searching for answers to my dd's sudden and horrible diaper rashes. She's 17 mo. now, and this started about 2-3 months ago. She was EBF until about 8 or 9 months, then we started introducing solids (mostly gerber organics) and eventually little bits of what we were eating. Everything seemed fine until one day at church I got a little carried away and gave her bites of all the different potluck dishes. Within a day (maybe it was that night) she had the most horrific diaper rash - but not like anything I'd seen before. It was a reaction to the poop, and it caused immediate like searing of her skin - broke the skin right through. And it took like 2 weeks to heal up. And everywhere the poop touched that wasn't raw and bleeding (literally, blood) was bright, bright red and a little puffy. Since then, we've had it maybe 3-4 more times, always after I think things are *okay* now, and slack on being vigilant about what she's eating.

I've been trying to eliminate things but not doing a very good job of it until the last 3 weeks, and now I'm not sure if this is a true "allergy" or not. THere's no other symptoms besides the horrible rash that makes her scream every time she pees for days until it heals. No sleep issues, no itchies, nothing else.

We're down to just a few things that I know she's good with: green beans, plain chicken, ezekial bread with real butter, bananas (we're freaking living off bananas), raisins (although sometimes they come right through without digesting), potato wedges and french fries, and instant oatmeal (made with water). Now that I'm studying more, I'm realizing she's getting no fat here and hardly any protein. She is still nursing, but I'm preggo again and she's only doing maybe 2-3 good nursings a day so I don't know how much she's getting from that.

First off, do you all think this is an allergy, a sensitivity, or what would I call it?

Secondly, do I really need to wait a week between trying new foods with her? I'm afraid she'll wither away or get brain damaged if I wait any longer to get some good fats into her.

Third, has anyone seen sensitivities to coconut oil/butter or coconut milk? I'm thinking that would be a great thing to try next, since it has lots of fats and proteins.

She is small, always has been (born at 34 wks under 5 lbs.) but I just went over the WHO charts and she's still in the 10% band where she's been forever, so I'm not going to stress over weight gain, just nutrients.

Also, hubby wants me to start giving her green smoothies again, and I think they're awesome, but I'm kind of worried that it will fill her up too much and she won't have room left for fats and proteins.

THANK YOU!!! I'm pulling my hair out here! (Is there an icon for that?)

Mouse Bandit

Tracey R. Happy Helpmeet to Jeff, and Mama to Corey (ds, 22yo), Justin (ds, 20yo), Bekah (dd, 3yo), and Miah (Jeremiah, ds, 17mo), and baby Rachel, vasa previa survivor, 4 wks old.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 10-20-2009, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What do you think her allergies are?
It sounds like more of an intolerance, though I always get them checked for allergies to rule it out (all my kids).
If you're having chicken and butter, you ought to be having fats. Roast a chicken and use the drippings.
How are you doing the potato wedges and french fries? That sounds like it has an oil in it. More fat.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#3 of 8 Old 10-20-2009, 08:09 PM

This might sound weird, and I haven't heard it anyplace else, but I did it because of my allergy to onion. I skin tested it before I gave it to my kids. Meaning, I put some on their skin and let it set for a while under a bandaid to see if they reacted to it. I get blisters from even touching onions (so you can imagine how if feels when it has gone into my mouth and digestive system). Most of the time, it is just an extreme sensitivity, and the more of the natural oil, the worse. However, I do occasionally have an anaphalactic (sp?) reaction to it, on the very rare occasion that I injest any raw onion. (last time it happened was 1995, at my wedding rehearsal dinner when I wasn't paying attention, so I do mean RARE occasion).

That way, if it is a contact allergy, you don't have to wait until it goes all the way through the system and ends up in a place that is harder to heal.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#4 of 8 Old 10-21-2009, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm, that's some good stuff to think about. You're right, she is getting more fats that I had thought about. The french fries are deep fried, so I hadn't thought about that. THe potato wedges were from the store one day when we got stuck out and about and I was desparate, LOL!

We had a reaction last night to the yogurt from Monday morning (1/2 cup store brand strawberry yogurt). So, I'm going to totally ditch dairy for now, and not even trial any more variations of it. Heading to the store after her nap and picking up more ezekial bread and some coconut milk. I've got coconut oil, and may try that in a couple of days. At least now that I'm aware of what i"m doing, I'm only giving her a little bit of the offending foods, and only once before I wait, and I think that's why the corn and yogurt reactions were so much less severe than the ones we had before (no blood this time, and MUCH less raw area).

What are the thoughts on agave and/or honey as sweeteners? Does it cause issues very often? I know it's not white sugar, but is it still totally horrible for them (nutritionally)? I'm thinking of some raw recipes I have but most of them use one or the other as a sweetener, and I've not given her much in the way of sugars so far (until I caved to the instant oatmeal).

Thanks for the tips and suggestions. I'll try the skin reaction thing, and if we can't get some resolution soon, maybe I'll find a naturopath and see about getting some tests.

THANKS!
Mouse Bandit

Tracey R. Happy Helpmeet to Jeff, and Mama to Corey (ds, 22yo), Justin (ds, 20yo), Bekah (dd, 3yo), and Miah (Jeremiah, ds, 17mo), and baby Rachel, vasa previa survivor, 4 wks old.

#5 of 8 Old 10-21-2009, 04:39 PM

Are you keeping a food journal?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 of 8 Old 10-21-2009, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

We just started. It's on the whiteboard right now, and I'm keeping a list of NO FLY ZONE foods and SAFE FOODS on there too. I'm watching calories too, right now, but I just sat down and did the growth chart thing, and even though she's taking in way less calories than "they say" she should (40 cal per inch of height), she's staying in the same percentile on the growth chart, so I'll probably quit worrying about that. We're moving this weekend (into a travel trailer, LOL!) so everything is kind of in transition and my whiteboard is one of the few constants at this point!

ANy tips for the food journal?

#7 of 8 Old 10-21-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousebandit View Post
We just started. It's on the whiteboard right now, and I'm keeping a list of NO FLY ZONE foods and SAFE FOODS on there too. I'm watching calories too, right now, but I just sat down and did the growth chart thing, and even though she's taking in way less calories than "they say" she should (40 cal per inch of height), she's staying in the same percentile on the growth chart, so I'll probably quit worrying about that. We're moving this weekend (into a travel trailer, LOL!) so everything is kind of in transition and my whiteboard is one of the few constants at this point!

ANy tips for the food journal?
Write down EVERYTHING. All foods, drinks, supplements, meds. Allllll symptoms or anything that could be considered a symptom (sleep habits, poop habits, moods, skin condition, etc.). Things you might not even have noticed as being "off" might disappear. I have several in spreadsheet form if you want to PM me with your email address, I can send them to you.

#8 of 8 Old 10-21-2009, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Here's a quick question: do you let them drink coconut milk (canned) straight? We're going to try that this weekend. Thanks! KJ - I pm'd you!

Tracey

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page