Our test results.... updated #12, #21, #146 - Page 14 - Mothering Forums

#391 of 426 Old 03-16-2010, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mattress pad w/o flame retardants would help, but not totally prevent antimony exposure. Before buying a bed ($$), I'd repeat the hair test - if the antimony #'s are higher, then likely you still have a current exposure - if not, then probably it was the carpet, and you have to deal with the old exposure, but not buy a new bed.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#392 of 426 Old 03-16-2010, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

OR we've switched from one exposure at our old apartment to a new exposure at our new house.... (we do have some OLD carpet here.)

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#393 of 426 Old 03-16-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Huh- that's a good question. Off to see if they normally put it in mattress pads. I just assumed no- it's kind of like a thick sheet. Never crossed my mind that they might.

eta: I can't find anything either way about flame retardants in mattress pads. I'm going to go with no.
the tag on ours says it meets fire safety requirements (or whatever) so I'm assuming yes...

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!

#394 of 426 Old 03-16-2010, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
the tag on ours says it meets fire safety requirements (or whatever) so I'm assuming yes...
Aaaahhhhhh.... crap. So what does one sleep on if they can't afford an organic/wool mattress?

#395 of 426 Old 03-16-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Aaaahhhhhh.... crap. So what does one sleep on if they can't afford an organic/wool mattress?
Is the mattress topper washable? Cutler advises removing flame retardant by washing in wash soda (basically very strong baking soda - Arm & Hammer makes some) a bunch of times on hot. Or liquid plumber, but I chose wash soda . I wasn't convinced it would necessarily get ALL the antimony out, but it should help a huge amount.

I made DS a bed from whitelotus.net foam and wool for about $120. More expensive for us since I got a layer of latex as well - but still WAY less expensive than buying an organic mattress.

#396 of 426 Old 03-16-2010, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Is the mattress topper washable? Cutler advises removing flame retardant by washing in wash soda (basically very strong baking soda - Arm & Hammer makes some) a bunch of times on hot. Or liquid plumber, but I chose wash soda . I wasn't convinced it would necessarily get ALL the antimony out, but it should help a huge amount.

I made DS a bed from whitelotus.net foam and wool for about $120. More expensive for us since I got a layer of latex as well - but still WAY less expensive than buying an organic mattress.
hmm... I've had that mattress topper for probably 5 years, and I always wash it on hot. I've been making my own deterg for the last year which includes washing soda... so between all those factors, you think its safe(r)?

I just remembered that I have a 2nd mattress pad that is wool (or has wool in it) that I used to use in the winter. I'll have to go find that one and see what the tag says about fire safety stuff.

#397 of 426 Old 03-16-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
hmm... I've had that mattress topper for probably 5 years, and I always wash it on hot. I've been making my own deterg for the last year which includes washing soda... so between all those factors, you think its safe(r)?

I just remembered that I have a 2nd mattress pad that is wool (or has wool in it) that I used to use in the winter. I'll have to go find that one and see what the tag says about fire safety stuff.
Safer, yes. Safe enough???? Dunno.

With old carpets in your new house too, it's hard to know where the biggest exposures are. I'd probably do my best with the topper situation you have, maybe even try something like shampooing carpets with wash soda? (No idea if that would work, just a thought). Push the methylation supps and mag/b6 bigtime, and see if you see any improvements.

#398 of 426 Old 03-16-2010, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Well, the carpets are getting pulled... just not immediately. Pretty much whenever we have the money to get the floors (original hardwood) refinished. Actually, we're doing remodeling one room at a time, so we'll probably do the carpets the same way. Hopefully within the next year they'll be gone.

I just realized something- We did K for 3 days (1/2 cap 1st day, then just a sprinkle the next 2 days) and it immediately firmed up DD's poop. Well, we stopped for the test prep (and forgot to do vits today) and her poops are still totally formed. A little too much even (she's straining a little now). We did add bananas back in, but they've never had that effect on her before. Did it just take a tiny bit of K to balance her back out? Is that possible??

#399 of 426 Old 03-16-2010, 07:11 PM

remember that vitamin K is fat soluble, so it's possible that she's still got residual K from the few days you DID supp.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#400 of 426 Old 03-16-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Well, the carpets are getting pulled... just not immediately. Pretty much whenever we have the money to get the floors (original hardwood) refinished. Actually, we're doing remodeling one room at a time, so we'll probably do the carpets the same way. Hopefully within the next year they'll be gone.

I just realized something- We did K for 3 days (1/2 cap 1st day, then just a sprinkle the next 2 days) and it immediately firmed up DD's poop. Well, we stopped for the test prep (and forgot to do vits today) and her poops are still totally formed. A little too much even (she's straining a little now). We did add bananas back in, but they've never had that effect on her before. Did it just take a tiny bit of K to balance her back out? Is that possible??
I speculate that K mobilizes calcium out of soft tissues - and that the body tries to move the calcium in to bones, or out the kidneys or gut. My guess is that it's actually the calcium on the move that is firming up your DD's poops - maybe if there's no K around to get it into cells and bones, it interferes a little too much with pooping? I'd guess if you stayed off K (not suggesting it!), you'd see firmer poops for a couple of days and then back to loose.

#401 of 426 Old 03-16-2010, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post

Washing soda is different than baking soda, but if you've been using some all along, and maybe real soap as well (as opposed to detergent), it could be helping. Flame retardant stuff also sometimes says to not use soap to wash the fabric, and to use cool temperatures.

I buy most of the kids' clothing used, so every so often, I wash all their stuff in hot water with a whole box of washing soda in 1 load, and then sometimes shave in a half a bar of dr bronner's soap for another wash, and then rinse a while. It's not perfect, but I've wondered about transfer among older bedding and used clothing and what-not, so it's my best guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
remember that vitamin K is fat soluble, so it's possible that she's still got residual K from the few days you DID supp.
DS gets slowly worn down on K, usually--sometimes it can be hastened, but it seems like it's usually a slow process.
#402 of 426 Old 03-19-2010, 11:55 AM

I was thinking, the reason for the breath test was to show bacterial overgrowth? Doesn't the OAT show bacterial overgrowth too?

#403 of 426 Old 03-19-2010, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah- I think it does. But I'm not sure they're all checking the same stuff. Like the OAT didn't show the same bacteria as the stool test she had.

#404 of 426 Old 03-19-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Yeah- I think it does. But I'm not sure they're all checking the same stuff. Like the OAT didn't show the same bacteria as the stool test she had.
The OAT shows specific bacteria!?

#405 of 426 Old 03-19-2010, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Nooooo... there are just markers that would indicate bacteria. Now I have to go find our results and see exactly what it says...

Ok- there are 4 markers for bacteria, and DD was negative on all of them. huh. I might just have to call them and ask about that.

#406 of 426 Old 03-19-2010, 01:21 PM

I just looked through that link that explains what most of the acids are... did you see phenylcarboxylic acid as an indicator of bacterial overgrowth? (It's not in with the other bacterial stuff).

I'm annoyed. My OAT didn't check for *any* of the yeast/bacterial stuff, and barely any of the other (non-genetic) things on the Great Plains list either. Yar. (that's why I was reading the explanations) I see more expensive tests in my near future...

#407 of 426 Old 03-19-2010, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Well that sucks.

Yeah- they have phenylcarboxylic on here, but its under the miscellaneous category, not bacterial. And now I can't find that webpage that talks about test interpretation (are you the one that posted that?)

Ooh- I did find this though (oxalates & autism). Haven't read it fully yet:
http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com...20pages_sm.pdf

Interesting. NONE of the non-autistic kids studied had elevated oxalate levels. Weird.

#408 of 426 Old 03-19-2010, 01:41 PM

http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com...0the%20OAT.pdf

Were they testing non-autistic kids with food issues, though?

#409 of 426 Old 03-19-2010, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Probably not.

#410 of 426 Old 06-08-2010, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

Ok... bumping up my old thread to add today's bloodtest results (will have more coming later this week too) just in case anyone wants to take a look and have an amazing revelation about something that we've missed.

- thyroid levels were normal, but free T3 was right on the upper edge of normal. I know this is all related somehow.... TSH: 1.3, Free T3: 4.6, Free T4: 1.24, T3 uptake: 27.6

- PTH and calcium normal - PTH: 57.5, total calcium: 9.7, ionized calcium: 1.3

- creatinine is right on the bottom edge of normal at 0.3. Can be caused by a diet low in protein (definitely not ours)- Deb... you were talking about your DS eating a lot of protein but not digesting it or something... ???

- really high BUN to creatinine ratio- hers is at about 46.6:1, where normal range is 10:1 - 20:1. Could be caused by bleeding in intestinal track, or kidney failure- but I would think in that case her creatinine would be high as well and it's not.

- phosphate is high at 6.1. I know this is somehow related to calcium issues, but what I'm reading is that it should be moving opposite to calcium, so if phosphate is high, calcium is low, or vise versa. So that leaves us with either a thyroid issue or low magnesium. (can we bloodtest mag- is it accurate in blood?)

- all blood levels were good except mono & eos were high (eos is always high for her, so that wasn't a surprise.) I'm reading that high monocytes indicate a bacterial infection. ??

- vitamin D - 33. Not great, but not horrible.

Any thoughts?

#411 of 426 Old 06-08-2010, 02:04 AM

Quote:
- creatinine is right on the bottom edge of normal at 0.3. Can be caused by a diet low in protein (definitely not ours)- Deb... you were talking about your DS eating a lot of protein but not digesting it or something... ???
I know nothing about blood, but I do know that many kids on Dr. Yasko's forum start with very low urine creatinine, and that's not good (means you're not clearing crud - viruses/bacteria/metals - which go out with the creatinine). Seeing it go up is a sign of improving methylation. Don't have a whole lot more details than that, sorry, not one of DS' problems. What was your DD's creatinine on her OAT?

#412 of 426 Old 06-08-2010, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

I don't see it on her OAT. I do know that blood levels and urine levels mean something different though. Too bad I don't have that to compare the two.

#413 of 426 Old 06-08-2010, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
phosphate is high at 6.1. I know this is somehow related to calcium issues, but what I'm reading is that it should be moving opposite to calcium, so if phosphate is high, calcium is low, or vise versa. So that leaves us with either a thyroid issue or low magnesium. (can we bloodtest mag- is it accurate in blood?)
I had low Mg on blood test. The osteo said that you have to be pretty low for it to show up on the blood test though.

Quote:
- all blood levels were good except mono & eos were high (eos is always high for her, so that wasn't a surprise.) I'm reading that high monocytes indicate a bacterial infection. ??
DH and I both had blood tests once, the same week, for physicals. Both of us had high monocytes, and we both had colds. The doctor said that was the explanation, so it doesn't have to be bacterial. It just means that your body is fighting something.

Quote:
- vitamin D - 33. Not great, but not horrible.
Do you have safe drops to give her?

Every test is a piece of the puzzle. Have you had the Genova stool test yet?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#414 of 426 Old 06-08-2010, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

We did the Great Plains stool test. It's somewhere in this thread. It did show bacteria, but then the stool test the GI did 2 weeks later showed none. And her monocytes weren't high last time we tested (I don't think.)

#415 of 426 Old 09-09-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Oh how I wish my scanner wasn't still packed away somewhere....

Here are just the results on the OAT that are outside the "normal" range (with range in parenthesis, category in brackets) and the descriptions that came with the results:
[LIST][*]3-oxoglutaric - 0.77 (0.0-0.5) [yeast/fungal]
  • Slight increase, indicating possible yeast overgrowth. Supplementation w/multi-strain probiotics (20-50 billion cfu's) recommended.
[*]citric - 75.10 (180.0-560.0) [Krebs Cycle]
  • may be due to impaired function of the Krebs cycle
[*]VMA - 7.07 (1.0-6.6) [Neurotransmitters]
  • Elevated VMA, a metabolite of spinephrine and norepinephrine, is commonly due to stress that increases catecholamine output from the adrenal gland. Stress affects adrenal glands, specifically depleting Vitamin C; supplementation of at least 1000mg buffered Vitamin C may be helpful.
[*]3-hydroxybutyric - 20.87 (0.0-10.0) [Fatty Acid Metabolites][*]acetoacetic - 64.56 (0.0-10.0) [Fatty Acid Metabolites]
  • (for previous 2 results) These ketones indicate increased metabolic utilization of fatty acids associated with diabetes mellitus, fasting, dieting (ketogenic or SCD diet), or illness such as nausea or flu, among many other causes.
[*]suberic - 2.63 (0.0-2.0) [Fatty Acid Metabolites]
  • consistent with overnight fasting or increased fat in the diet. Regardless of cause, supplementation w/L-carnitine (500-1000mg/day) may be beneficial.
[*]ascorbic - 1.8 (10.0-200.0) [Vitamin Indicators]
  • indicates a dietary defiency and/or increased utilization of antioxidants. Suggest supplementation with 1000mg per day of buffered C, divided into 2-3 doses.
[*]pyridoxic - 1.11 (2.0-26.0) [Vitamin Indicators]
  • a major metabolite of Vitamin B-6; low value indicates B-6 deficiency; may be due to low intake, malabsorption, or dysbiosis. Intake of at least 20-50mg/day is recommended.
[*]oxalic - 148.50 (0.0-37.0) [Oxalate Related][LIST]
)
A lot of that relates to mitochondial dysfunction, in the Yasko world. Particularly the out of range oxy-glutaric & citric, and oxalic. Supps to take to help with that include:

carnitine, NADH, riboflavin, pantothenic, benfotiamine (activated B1), niacinimide, ATP. The pantothenic acid in particular is supposed to help the oxalic acid step in the kreb's cycle.

I get ATP off her site, the rest from iherb.

#416 of 426 Old 09-09-2010, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

I totally forgot to tell you Deb!! You were on vacation when I posted about it...

We had a 24-hour urine oxalate run through our ped about a month(?) ago, and it's totally within the normal range. So I'm really starting to question everything that came back on the stool & OAT tests. She was having a ton of symptoms at the time we tested, and she's not so much anymore, so I don't know if there was just something going on at that time that would have jacked up all the test results, or what?

I will take a look at those supps when I have a little more time to focus. Thanks!

#417 of 426 Old 09-09-2010, 06:46 PM

Yeah, results can change pretty quickly - so that's very good news. You might see if your doc could run a urine amino acids test, that would be a good piece of data to have on the "not growing" issue.

#418 of 426 Old 09-09-2010, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, definitely. I will ask for that at our WBV next month!!

eta: I was pretty shocked by the change though, because we hadn't really done anything TO change it, kwim? Well, that's not entirely true... I was giving her a tiny bit of vitamin K. But still, I would be amazed if that tiny amount totally regulated things enough to get her oxalate level from 148 to 33!

#419 of 426 Old 09-10-2010, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Yes, definitely. I will ask for that at our WBV next month!!

eta: I was pretty shocked by the change though, because we hadn't really done anything TO change it, kwim? Well, that's not entirely true... I was giving her a tiny bit of vitamin K. But still, I would be amazed if that tiny amount totally regulated things enough to get her oxalate level from 148 to 33!
Was that when your thyroid was crashing...?

#420 of 426 Old 09-10-2010, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Was that when your thyroid was crashing...?
Yep.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page