Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (https://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Allergies (https://www.mothering.com/forum/307-allergies/)
-   -   Goat milk: Meyenberg vs. farm fresh (https://www.mothering.com/forum/307-allergies/1216491-goat-milk-meyenberg-vs-farm-fresh.html)

celticgypsy 04-19-2010 10:32 AM

My son is allergic to soy (I believe he was an 8 on the test), and we weren't (and still aren't) quite sure if he is allergic to dairy (though he came out negative for it on both tests). I have to supplement him in addition to breastfeeding right now, as he's 18 months old and not eating solids, due to a possible swallowing/behavioral issue. (long story, but we know he needed the extra nutrition as he lost weight and was getting malnourished). So I researched a lot and decided to try homemade Goat's Milk formula. The only problem with that is that I searched (and called) ALL the farms in my area (NH) and they all feed their goats SOY-based grain. :0( I figure since I had to cut soy from my diet (as it was getting in my milk) wouldn't it be the same with goats? So in that case farm fresh would be out of the question. Next thing was Meyenberg goats milk found in the store. Fresh and raw would definitely be preferable, if I could get it solely pasture-fed, but there's none around here. The meyenberg says it does not contain soy proteins (on their website).

So...which would be best? Do I stick with the ultra pasteurized milk or try fresh raw that was fed soy grain?

My son has been on the Goat milk formula for over a week now, with the meyenberg pasteurized (he gets 18 oz day in addition to bmilk by NG tube - but only 8 oz of that is whole goat milk) and is doing great on it....except he has been constipated! This really worries me. Other than that, he is doing great and finally gaining weight. I'm concerned about the constipation because I know Goats milk can be constipating....and we are missing one crucial component of the formula that I'm sure would help that - the probiotics! (I'm still waiting for that to come in the mail!) also, I know raw milk contains beneficial enzymes/bacteria that would also be helpful. If it weren't for the constipation I wouldn't even question it, but would it be better using raw goat milk even if it was fed soy?

(On a side note I have even been calling grain manufacturers to see if they could formulate a soy-free grain, but so far it's looking doubtful :0(

Thanks,
Kristen

Koalamom 04-19-2010 01:21 PM

Sorry to disappoint you but I check the Meyenburg website and it say their milk doesn't contain soy protein but that doesn't mean they don't feed their animals soy. I bet if you called them they will for sure tell you they are feeding their animals soy and other GMO junk. I would for sure go with ORGANIC raw goats milk over meyenburg goat milk.

Marnica 04-19-2010 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
Sorry to disappoint you but I check the Meyenburg website and it say their milk doesn't contain soy protein but that doesn't mean they don't feed their animals soy. I bet if you called them they will for sure tell you they are feeding their animals soy and other GMO junk. I would for sure go with ORGANIC raw goats milk over meyenburg goat milk.
At least where I live, I can't find organic goats milk. Ive been giving DS myenberg as well. there is another brand avaliable here (its not organic and is also pasturized), but he prefers the taste of myenberg....he also has a soy allergy so I'd be curious...Myenberg while not organic does not feed their goats GMO grains
Quote:
Our farms do not use any sprays, insecticides, or pesticides, and our goats do not feed on anything genetically modified or containing animal by-products
. I doubt it's soy based, but you never know, best to call and ask

rhesp1212 04-19-2010 06:14 PM

Have you checked to see if there are any local farmer's markets in your area or neighboring cities?I just recently discovered one by me, and they have raw goat's milk from grass fed goats only. You may be able to order some online somewhere also, but I'm sure shipping would be quite pricey.

I'm not sure if you've seen this website before but you can check for local farms on www.eatwild.com

celticgypsy 04-19-2010 09:26 PM

Thanks for that link! That is really helpful. I knew of realmilk.com, but that site includes ALL raw milk sources, not just grass fed.

Unfortunately, from what I can find online (or calling places) the only grass-fed milk I can get around here is Cow. (Not sure whether I should try that one...raw pasture fed cow, or raw soy grain fed goat?)

Ahhhh.....

lil_miss_understood 04-19-2010 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticgypsy View Post
Thanks for that link! That is really helpful. I knew of realmilk.com, but that site includes ALL raw milk sources, not just grass fed.

Unfortunately, from what I can find online (or calling places) the only grass-fed milk I can get around here is Cow. (Not sure whether I should try that one...raw pasture fed cow, or raw soy grain fed goat?)

Ahhhh.....
And it's a good thing too, or you'd have some really sickly goats.
Goats *need* more in their diet than just grass. They also eat shrubs and such. I can't remmeber the specific name for this atm, but... I'm not saying that they need to be fed grains and/or soy (I'm not certain that they do), but just a thought.

Koalamom 04-20-2010 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post
At least where I live, I can't find organic goats milk. Ive been giving DS myenberg as well. there is another brand avaliable here (its not organic and is also pasturized), but he prefers the taste of myenberg....he also has a soy allergy so I'd be curious...Myenberg while not organic does not feed their goats GMO grains . I doubt it's soy based, but you never know, best to call and ask
Thank you for clarifying this for me!

TimeToHeal 10-04-2017 08:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have personally become ill multiple times from Meyenberg's goat milk / Meyenberg goat milk (refrigerated, full fat, purple-pink and white printed cardboard containers). The cardboard containers are frequently (as in every week or every other week) 'puffed out' in the grocery store, before the the expiration date. I kept trying it as there was no other source I knew of. I have now given up on it. Getting a pathogen or contaminant or whatever they are placing in their milk that is getting me ill (it is not every carton that does this, and I never, ever drink from a 'puffy'-looking carton) could damage my health worse than the horrid experience of being poisoned few months from the stuff (it's happened 6 times in 1.5 years). This was what I read about Meyenberg's in another forum. It seems to explain why I see the puffiness and why Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and other places I've bought it from continue to get puffy and toxic product from them. Internet search these words to see the source of the quote:

"I can't drink the stuff. That brand was the first goats milk I had ever tried and I nearly puked. It turned me off goats for years. After tasting some raw goat milk I decided goats weren't so bad. And now I love them and their milk.

Having been in and around commercial dairy goat farms I can tell you some of the many reasons the milk taste so different from the milk you will get from a backyard farm.

#1 . Over pasteurization. They cook the heck out of it.
#2 . Mastitis. Many of the farms do not treat mastitis until it gets bad or sometimes not at all unless the goat is bleeding into the milk. 
#3 . Heavy use of Swiss breeds. Many Toggenburg and some Alpines have strong milk.
#4 . Deficiencies. Many animals just can't get what they need out of a one size fits all mineral.
#5 . Dirty conditions. You simply can't keep a pen clean enough when you have hundreds of goats in it.
#6 . They are unhappy. A stressed goat isn't going to give you its best.

I have seen one time where one of the does teats rotted off and the whole half of the udder was on its way out but they still milked the other side since it wasn't bleeding or spitting chunks into the milk. You could smell it from feet away. That's not going to make the batch of milk taste good I can tell you that much. As long as the cell counts in the bulk tank are low enough and there is no contaminants in the pasteurized milk they are A-Ok to sell."

Attachment 50981