allergies and asthma - Mothering Forums

#1 of 2 Old 08-30-2010, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 2.8 year old son has severe allergies.
He is extremely allergic to dairy, caesin, nuts, seeds, eggs, and fish.
He is sensitive to wheat and soy.

He also has bad seasonal allergies.

He is showing history of asthma. Whenever he gets a cold/virus or heavy respiratory issues from allergies he gets severe asthma. He was hospitalized for this in Jan. Since then we've have 3 other times we've spent days on a nebulizer and oral steroids.

Our allergist recommends him take daily claritin and Sinulaire. I'm not a big fan of either. Nor do I want to do a daily steriod.

I'm lost as to what to do?

I have to say I'm super stressed with all this too. Always having an Epi Pen and Inhaler on me at all times.
My sweet boy just started preschool too and I'm paranoid of him getting exposed to other foods by accident also what more colds and such will do to his body acting asthmatically!

Yikes(can't I just put him in a bubble!)

Any advice would be so welcomed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 08-30-2010, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD (to be 5 in October) has food allergies to dairy, egg, peanut, tree nut and shellfish. She has had one ana event and must carry epi-pen. She also gets asthma with viruses. It started around 2. We have not had to be in the hospital for asthma, but use the nebulizer with xopenex when sick. I am a SAHM so did not send her to preschool until last year. She went 3 mornings a week to a very good school. She did get sick a few times, but her worst virus came from her middle school age brother. She will go to the same program this year.

It is hard. I have kept her away from situations that seemed to bring on viruses (like the church nursery and Sunday School). The MD recommended daily pulmicort 2 years ago. I choose to just treat at first sign of a virus. This has worked for us because I can assess regularly (if she was in daycare this would not be possible). I do give her claritin if it is a bad time of the year. I don't like singulair due to the behavioral side effects (one dose and she was hitting me).

Carrying the epi-pen has become second nature. Just like always having safe food. A bubble would be nice!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page