Not sure whether or not this diet is working! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 30 Old 09-03-2010, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sorry to be repetitive if you saw what I posted last week but I put it in the wrong forum plus I'm still not any better...

I started a gluten-free soy-free corn-free diet about a month ago to try to help my severe fatigue (couldn't even function). After ~1 week of 'detox' (aka feeling even worse than I thought possible!) I felt better than ever... but it only lasted for about 2 weeks. Then I caught a 24-hour bug and I still haven't fully recovered from it 2 weeks later. All my symptoms are gone but I'm back to being incredibly tired. It's not as bad as before I started this diet -- I can minimally function, do things like make dinner (which I couldn't do at all before the diet) but nowhere near how good I felt before the bug hit. So I wonder if the diet needs more tweaking, if I'm missing something??? Or if the good 2 weeks was 'placebo effect'?? I'm so confused & frustrated, I hate sticking to this diet & it hardly feels worth it if all it means is I can make dinner (which is no longer as enjoyable to eat with the restrictions!)

So my basic diet consists of:

fresh/frozen/dried fruit & veggies
brown rice (and rice pastas)
quinoa
beans
nuts, nut butters
coconut milk
olive oil
lots of spices, sea salt
some gluten-free corn-free flours/baking mix
small amounts of Daiya 'cheeze'
nutritional yeast
apple cider or balsamic vinegar
occasionally some cocoa powder, cane sugar, maple syrup

I have oral allergies to cashews, mango, kiwi, & pomegranate, but no other obvious/immediate food allergies... (I suspect a delayed reaction is causing my symptoms)... Around 2 weeks into the diet I added in a few processed foods to make my life easier (like the dried veggie crisps & Daiya cheeze)... and still felt good for about a week after that. I have been pretty careful about even small amounts of contaminants but once or twice I may have accidentally consumed very small amounts of white vinegar & oats. Plus I still take communion weekly which contains gluten. And we use white vinegar in cleaning (but of course I'm not licking it!) But I was doing these things right from the beginning... and other than that I haven't had even trace amounts of gluten, corn, soy.

So what is going on? I need more insight!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 30 Old 09-03-2010, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Your body could be running low on some nutrients - and the sickness would have sped that up.

I'd suggest some sublingual methyl B12, a good B supp, a good trace minerals supp, A, D, K2. We use Thorne for trace minerals and B's (available on iherb.com), and Thorne K2 drops. I use the mega foods B complex as well, if you like the look of that one better. It looks like you don't eat meat, so that often leads to issues with B12 and fat soluble vitamins (which in turn leads to issues absorbing minerals). Once you have those supps in place, if you're still feeling fatigued, there are other possibilities - but I'll bet it's a nutrient issue, and good supps are the fastest way to fix that.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#3 of 30 Old 09-03-2010, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm you know what, I was taking an iron/b-complex supplement that I happened to run out of just around when I started feeling worse again! So maybe I should start taking that again. It's expensive & didn't seem to make a difference but it's worth a shot I guess! I do take magnesium & D... I get lots of B12 with nutritional yeast but can't take the sublingual tablets until I figure out if corn is a problem (they are made with xylitol)... I'll look into the K2.

Now I guess what I'm confused about is, if it's a nutritent issue, does that mean it's NOT an allergy/intolerance? Or is the allergy/intolerance leading to the nutrient issues??

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif

#4 of 30 Old 09-03-2010, 05:58 PM

I'd say you have both food intolerance & nutrient issues. Getting the problem foods out addressed part of the issue (given how fast you felt better taking them out, this seems highly likely), but your body is still short of some nutrients, and being sick increased the deficits.

I get my B12 from Dr. Amy Yasko's site, holisticheal.com - it's B12 drops, no corn. Other liquid B12 sprays might be OK as well. The issue is that many people with compromised digestion can't absorb B12 in the gut, so eating nutritional yeast only works if you can a) digest the nutritional yeast and b) transport the B12 across the gut membrane. Both are often issues for people, and it can be a key to energy. So I'd try to find a sublingual/spray B12 and see if it helps you.

How much mag are you taking, and what form? Being sick can blow through mag, zinc, and B vitamin stores.

#5 of 30 Old 09-03-2010, 07:50 PM

I don't consider a true trial unless you take out everything and get to baseline THEN add things back in. That means communion (you can get a blessing instead, or ask a rice cracker to be blessed, there are also gluten-free communion wafers). That means Daiya (unless you've called and confirmed there's no corn since there's citric acid and xanthan gum in it). That means the oats and the white vinegar. And check your spices. Also supplements. Then see how you feel. If you're not taking it all the way out, then you won't know for sure.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#6 of 30 Old 09-03-2010, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

I *did* get back to baseline though -- despite receiving Communion (and our church requires them to contain gluten, & I'm absolutely not willing to give up Communion). The oats & white vinegar were fluke things & probably less than 1/4 teaspoon of either one... Daiya claims to be corn-free but I probably should confirm that nothing is derived from corn either, I didn't even consider they would put corn-derieved ingredients & then call it corn-free! The spices & supplements are all clear. So I guess the 'cheeze' is the only possible culprit but I honestly doubt corn is my issue anyway (I took it out for DS's sake, he's still nursing). I think the illness through me off so much though. I will have to look more into the nutritional thing... Why is this all so confusing?

#7 of 30 Old 09-03-2010, 09:35 PM

Where's your protein coming from? It looks like you need more protein - maybe smoothies with rice protein?

It's not uncommon to take a bunch of foods out, get to baseline and then slip back. This is because sometimes you ARE reacting to the things you take out and so you feel better, but when the 'noise' is gone, sometimes your other intolerances that were 'hiding' come out. Does that make sense? I took gluten out, felt great, much better. But then the shine wore off and I started noticing connections with other foods and I ended up taking out dairy, corn, soy and now I have oral allergy syndrome to most fruits and some veggies. Sucks. A lot. But I feel SO much better than I used to. Are you keeping a food diary noting everything you eat, supplements, symptoms, bms, etc? Those can be really valuable.

Oh, one other thing I just thought of, phenol sulfotransferase deficiency. In kids, this causes hyperactivity, in grown ups it can cause fatigue. Foods high in phenols are foods like tea, chocolate, apples and other fruits, tomatoes, etc.

http://www.newtreatments.org/fromweb/sulfur.html
http://www.healthyawareness.com/arti...gold-diet.aspx
http://www.danasview.net/phenol.htm "The typical adult symptom of phenol intolerance is chronic fatigue syndrome, which is the opposite symptom that most children have... "

A lot of this is in relation to kids with autism, but the information about what foods to avoid and ideas on how to treat it.

Good luck mama!

momma to DS9 ribbonjigsaw.gif, DD5 dust.gif, and the newest edition, DS born Jan 2011 hbac.gif
#8 of 30 Old 09-03-2010, 09:41 PM

One more thing - look at your environment? Sometimes chemical sensitivities can cause a number of symptoms, including fatigue. Do you use perfumes, scented detergent, fabric softener (eeek), any pesticide exposure, mold, new carpet/paint/home furnishings, etc?

momma to DS9 ribbonjigsaw.gif, DD5 dust.gif, and the newest edition, DS born Jan 2011 hbac.gif
#9 of 30 Old 09-04-2010, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Oh man, I hope it's not a phenol thing, nearly every food I eat is high in salicylates! It's scary to me that I could now be reacting to MORE foods... *sigh* I hope I don't have to do a rice-only diet or something

We make our own cleaners etc. & don't use perfumes or anything so I don't think it's anything in my environment (well I am allergic to cats & lately can't stand being around my cat but I'm thinking that would cause nasal allergies not constant fatigue!)

I think I'm getting enough protein, I do eat a large amount of quinoa, nuts, beans...

I should keep a food diary... though I tend to feel pretty much the same from day to day... and eat the same things day to day... hmm lol maybe I should vary it a bit more & that could lead to clues...

#10 of 30 Old 09-04-2010, 01:20 PM

One thing at a time ... I'd try replenishing your nutrient stores with supps first - the fact that you started feeling tired after running out of you B + iron supp is a decent clue, imo.

Speaking from experience, if you are sensitive to salicylates, it can be dramatically improved - my son with autism was extremely sals sensitive this time last year, and now he can eat pretty much what he wants, through addressing nutrients and a couple of other things.

Your first priority is to find baseline (what needs to come out and what nutrients need to be added so that you feel good). Then you can look at how to heal so that you may be able to add some of those things back in, longer term.

#11 of 30 Old 09-04-2010, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

*deep breath* ok LOL I will try to step back & take this one thing at a time! I did stop at WF yesterday to get the iron/B supplement but they were out of it. So now I have to try to find it elsewhere or order it which could take a week Or go back to WF but it's 1/2 an hour away!

#12 of 30 Old 09-05-2010, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Ughhh I feel worse than ever today. Doesn't help that I didn't sleep well last night either but I feel like something else is going on.

I ordered the iron/B supplement but it could be as long as a week before I receive it. I can't go on another week like this.

I'm wondering if I'm having an issue with rice too. Is it even possible to be allergic to rice? I started out this diet eating only some rice but lately have been having it daily, sometimes 2x a day. Maybe I should cut out rice too??? I need to figure out something FAST, I can't stand feeling this way.

The last ~2 days I've eaten:
Sat breakfast - GF pancakes/blueberries/maple syrup
lunch - 'mac & cheese' - rice pasta, coconut milk, nut. yeast, spices, green beans, sweet potato, olive oil, sea salt
dinner - ate out - brown rice; artichokes & mushrooms cooked in oil & spices
snacks - peach, homemade almond/sunflower/date/cranberry bar, quinoa with chilies, tomato, & black beans
Sun breakfast & lunch were the same as yesterday (leftovers)...

Seems like rice was the prevalent thing & I think DH may have used rice flour in the pancakes too... but maybe there's something else I'm missing... I don't even have the energy to cook, I've been in bed all day, I feel like I should just give up (so I can at least eat something yummy!)

#13 of 30 Old 09-05-2010, 08:52 PM

Try a different B supp, something you can get today .

You can definitely be reactive to rice, but I'm still thinking you're running critically low on some nutrients. I gave a list upthread of what I'd start on, it covers most of the basic nutrient bases. I'd start there - then you'll have a better idea of whether you're having food issues.

#14 of 30 Old 09-05-2010, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

OK WF closes in an hour I think I can get there in time to pick up some stuff.

#15 of 30 Old 09-07-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post
I *did* get back to baseline though -- despite receiving Communion (and our church requires them to contain gluten, & I'm absolutely not willing to give up Communion). The oats & white vinegar were fluke things & probably less than 1/4 teaspoon of either one... Daiya claims to be corn-free but I probably should confirm that nothing is derived from corn either, I didn't even consider they would put corn-derieved ingredients & then call it corn-free! The spices & supplements are all clear. So I guess the 'cheeze' is the only possible culprit but I honestly doubt corn is my issue anyway (I took it out for DS's sake, he's still nursing). I think the illness through me off so much though. I will have to look more into the nutritional thing... Why is this all so confusing?
Just so you know, I emailed Daiya and they said they're looking at new suppliers for xanthan gum and citric acid because they don't know if they are corn-derived or not and they'd like to be corn free. Just while you're checking into things.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#16 of 30 Old 09-07-2010, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Just so you know, I emailed Daiya and they said they're looking at new suppliers for xanthan gum and citric acid because they don't know if they are corn-derived or not and they'd like to be corn free. Just while you're checking into things.
Oh thank you! It definitely said 'corn-free' on their website but I should know better than to trust something like that. I haven't touched Daiya in a week or so but I guess I will have to stay away from it a bit longer 'til I figure this all out!

I did go to WF to get more supplements but for some reason they were out of lots of things & I had trouble finding soy & corn-free vitamins. I got some iron & B-complex & have been taking both along with the magnesium & D. They were out of methyl-B12 (and the one I have contains xylitol) so I'm toying with the idea of taking the one I have anyway. I don't think I'm reacting to corn & I feel like I need the B12 more than I need to avoid corn, but I don't want to got backwards either! I also couldn't get any allergen-free K2. I forgot about zinc though... I'll see if I have some. It is taking every last bit of my willpower not to give up on this diet completely right now...

#17 of 30 Old 09-08-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Ughhh I feel worse than ever today. Doesn't help that I didn't sleep well last night either but I feel like something else is going on.

I ordered the iron/B supplement but it could be as long as a week before I receive it. I can't go on another week like this.

I'm wondering if I'm having an issue with rice too. Is it even possible to be allergic to rice? I started out this diet eating only some rice but lately have been having it daily, sometimes 2x a day. Maybe I should cut out rice too??? I need to figure out something FAST, I can't stand feeling this way.

The last ~2 days I've eaten:
Sat breakfast - GF pancakes/blueberries/maple syrup
lunch - 'mac & cheese' - rice pasta, coconut milk, nut. yeast, spices, green beans, sweet potato, olive oil, sea salt
dinner - ate out - brown rice; artichokes & mushrooms cooked in oil & spices
snacks - peach, homemade almond/sunflower/date/cranberry bar, quinoa with chilies, tomato, & black beans
Sun breakfast & lunch were the same as yesterday (leftovers)...

Seems like rice was the prevalent thing & I think DH may have used rice flour in the pancakes too... but maybe there's something else I'm missing... I don't even have the energy to cook, I've been in bed all day, I feel like I should just give up (so I can at least eat something yummy!)
I wonder if your issue isn't a sugar/carb issue? I know for me there are some carbs I eat that just wipe me out - like can't keep my eyes open I'm so exhausted. BF is realizing that he's likely pre-diabetic and we're moving towards low-carb/low-grain. Some carbs in particular really mess with his blood sugar too and cause him to feel out of it/tired. Anyone in your family have sugar/diabetes issues? Have you considered testing your blood sugar for a few days to see what the foods you are eating are doing to your blood sugar? You can get a pretty cheap reader and strips at Wal-Mart.

Just some thoughts... hoping you figure this out soon!

#18 of 30 Old 09-08-2010, 11:20 PM

Pancreatic supports (glandulars or pancreatic enzymes), and some supps like gymmena sylvestre can really help with blood sugar issues and pre-diabetes.

#19 of 30 Old 09-09-2010, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

I am actually hypoglycemic... have been my whole life. I notice the things that affect it are sweets, caffeine, etc. but I've never noticed a problem with grains as long as I eat enough protein to balance it out. But I definitely haven't been eating enough protein lately (especially since cutting out gluten/soy) so it's something to consider. I've always heard that glucose meters won't detect low blood sugar as accurately but maybe they do now?? The other thing that gives me pause is that the fatigue is nearly constant -- so it's hard to see it as a reaction to just certain foods. But my mood seems very affected by foods so maybe it's more related than I think.

I am thinking of adding corn back in -- that would give me more food options & also I'd be able to take my B12 supp... I don't know, I'm so depressed... I can't function, don't want to talk to anyone or do anything anymore because I'm just sick of living in this body that keeps failing me.

#20 of 30 Old 09-09-2010, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

You know what, I'm also wondering about a mold allergy...

What do you guys think of going on an even stricter diet for a few days? Just quinoa and squash or something?

#21 of 30 Old 09-09-2010, 11:19 AM

I think you're running low on nutrients, and until you address that, taking more food out isn't going to make a difference....

#22 of 30 Old 09-09-2010, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

I've been taking the supplements for 4 days now (double doses of some), is there something I can do to make my body absorb them faster/better? Or is there something else I can add in to my diet?

#23 of 30 Old 09-09-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I've been taking the supplements for 4 days now (double doses of some), is there something I can do to make my body absorb them faster/better? Or is there something else I can add in to my diet?
What have you added? Can you list the ingredients/amounts in your B vite? And I'd add sublingual/liquid spray B12, corn or not, and see what happens.

#24 of 30 Old 09-09-2010, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

DS is sleeping on me so I can't go get the bottles...

Magnesium - 500mg/day -[ GF/SF, manuf. cornfirmed no corn-derived ingredients: - Magnesium Oxide, Cellulose Gel, Croscarmellose Sodium, Magnesium Stearate, Silicon Dioxide, Stearic Acid. ]

D3 - 800-1600IU/day (depends if I'm going to be out in the sun) - [ ingredients: Fractionated Coconut Oil]

Iron - 2x rec. intake (I think around 40mg/day) - [ingredients were rice-based]

B-Complex - [ingredients were rice-based] - I don't have all the numbers but it was in the thousands of each B component (i.e. 2000% DRI, and I'm taking it twice a day)... the B12 in that is cyanocobalamin - I can post the exact #'s when DS wakes up if it would be helpful...

Also eating brazil nuts (1-2 a day) for selenium, and nutritional yeast with B12

I'll go back to taking my methyl B12 (it's a lozenge, not liquid, does that matter?) despite the corn.

#25 of 30 Old 09-09-2010, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Update:

Iron is 18mg (taking twice a day = 36mg) chelated iron (ferros bisglycinate). Other ingredients: rice powder, magnesium stearate, cellulose

B-complex - double the below because I'm taking 2x day -- ahh just realized there's probably corn in it -- tricky vitamins!! Anyway:
Vit C (ascorbic acid) = 150mg
Thiamin (mononitrate) = 30mg
Riboflavin = 20mg
Niacin (niacianamide) = 100mg
B6 (pyridoxine HCl) = 50mg
Folic acid = 150mcg
B12 (cyanocobalamin) = 25mcg
Bioitin = 50mcg
Pantothenic acid (d-calcium pantothenate) = 150mcg
Other ingredients: Rice powder, microcrystalline cellulose, silicon dioxide, magnesium stearate, cellulose

#26 of 30 Old 09-09-2010, 05:51 PM

I'd stop/cut back the iron (too much can fire up gut bacteria), and add in the sublingual B12 - lots of people can't absorb B12 in the gut, so what's in your B complex is likely fairly useless. If you tolerate corn derived, you might try a supp with mthf folate (vs. folic acid) - some people can't use folic acid.

For mag, mag oxide isn't well absorbed, so you could increase that or change kinds.

Lozenge will be fine for B12 if you tolerate the ingredients. How much B12 is in it?

And I'd still add in trace minerals (you have selenium covered, but no zinc, molybdenum, etc).

#27 of 30 Old 09-09-2010, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Oh yes I just dug up a bottle of zinc too, that's got 50mg in it so I'm gonna take that... the B12 has 1000mcg. Yeah I have to figure out the trace minerals too (WF was seriously out of everything I wanted to get so I didn't end up getting some of the stuff I needed). Do epsom salt baths work well for magnesium? Oh and the iron I was only doing 2x a day for a few days & am planning to drop back down to 1x/day -- just wanted to boost it up a little.

#28 of 30 Old 09-09-2010, 07:20 PM

You could do more than 1 of the B12 a day, particularly to get started. With 50mg of zinc, be sure to take it at the end of a meal when you've eaten plenty, or it will likely make you nauseous.

Epsom salts baths are great, but work on a better absorbed form of mag as well (I like glycinate best, citrate is fine too).

#29 of 30 Old 09-10-2010, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

OK within about 8 hours of taking the B12 & zinc yesterday I was already feeling better! Vitamins don't work THAT fast do they?! Feeling pretty good today too, we'll see how the next few days go!!

#30 of 30 Old 09-10-2010, 07:23 PM

B12 can work in 30 minutes, especially sublingually - it's magic . Also suggests you're pretty deficient - you can take several a day, it will help you get back up to more normal levels faster (don't take too close to bed, might keep you awake)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page