Thoughts? Advice? Encouragement? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 09-04-2010, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi All,
I haven't posted in a while, but you might remember me from around 4 months ago, when I posted alot about a TED to fix some of my infant DS's bloody/mucousy poop issues. Well, now he's 6 months old, and not tolerating solid foods... the GI doc's threatening formula trial and endoscopy. So what happened?

The back story:

At 5 weeks, J had small specs bright red blood in his stool. Stool was also greenish and mucosy at this time. I saw his pediatrician, who said likely milk/soy protien allergy. I cut those out of my diet for two weeks, stools still mucousy, occasional blood, so I cut out the top 9 allergens, then corn 2 weeks later, then a TED (turkey, sweet potato, carrot, zucchini, pear, olive oil) for two weeks. I saw a pediatric GI doc during this time, who suggested formula, but didn't push it, and got me in touch with her nutritionist to guide my TED. Still, not so much improvement (though possible corn contamination). I was also using Culturelle at this time, and I was supplementing twinlabs calcium. Also realized that BCP had lactose and cornstarch. Quit those. That seemed to do the trick- no more blood specs.

So after two weeks "clear" I started introducing more foods, and made a huge graph of foods and possible reactions. Poop ranged from yellow to green to brown, mucousy to seedy, without apparent rhyme or reason. Anod no more blood. Then we saw the GI again at around 4 months, and she said start eating again, stools have no blood, multiple food protein intolerance is unlikely, just avoid dairy and soy. So I started adding more aggresively, and nothing happened really. (I stayed gluten free, too, cause I was being "cautious.")

Just now, around his 6 month "birthday," we saw the GI again, and she said to go ahead with solids- even though his poops don't look "normal" and there are signs of "inflammation," threr's no blood (obvious or microscopic), he's happy, gaining well, and developing appropriately.

So we did- organic sweet potatoes that I made at home, mixed with pumped BM, and he had maybe a teaspoon two days in a row. Then late on the second day his poops turned watery with clumps of mucous, and tested positive for microscopic blood! So we stopped feeding him, called the doc, who wants to do a formula trial now, and if that "works," keep him on formula and introduce solids, and if it doesn't, do an endoscopy to see what else might be going on. She also thinks that sweet potato was the wrong choice- I should have done rice cereal- but I can't find one that I think is dairy/soy free... any ideas?

I don't think that he's actually allergic to sweet potatoes, I just think that his gut has been experiencing low-level inflammation for so long that any new substance would have tipped the scales. I think there's something I'm eating that's still bothering him. I just don't know what it is. For what it's worth, I never really got a good baseline- haven't seen normal seedy yellow breastmilk stools since he was a month old, except sporadically.

Sigh. thanks for reading this far.

My alternative plan-
1. Clean up my diet again. Over the month of August, I'd been more lax about my restrictions- eating out, going on vacation, etc. Now we're home again, I can re-commit to a truly from-scratch diet, free of likely allergens and corn. Also I need to recommit to my food log.
2. Probiotics for both of us. I have the Pharmax ones- I'd stopped giving the infant one's 'cause they have lactose. Does the good bacteria outweigh the "bad" lactose in this case, or no? should I look for other ones? recommendations?
3. Make an appointment with an Allegist, to get another perspective.
4. Duck GI's phone calls for a while, so I can see if my plan works... maybe for a month?

Anyway, all comments and suggestions are welcome!
TIA,
Lisa

L, happily married to E since 8/06, mommy to B 11/07 and J 2/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 09-04-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisamommyRN View Post
My alternative plan-
1. Clean up my diet again. Over the month of August, I'd been more lax about my restrictions- eating out, going on vacation, etc. Now we're home again, I can re-commit to a truly from-scratch diet, free of likely allergens and corn. Also I need to recommit to my food log.
2. Probiotics for both of us. I have the Pharmax ones- I'd stopped giving the infant one's 'cause they have lactose. Does the good bacteria outweigh the "bad" lactose in this case, or no? should I look for other ones? recommendations?
3. Make an appointment with an Allegist, to get another perspective.
4. Duck GI's phone calls for a while, so I can see if my plan works... maybe for a month?

Anyway, all comments and suggestions are welcome!
TIA,
Lisa
The good bacteria does NOT outweigh the bad lactose. This is exactly what we have seen. You need to find a dairy free probiotic. Klaire labs has some good ones that are not grown on dairy. You might have to order them online...we did.

Eating out...very bad for cross contamination issues. There is just about no way you could eat out and still nurse DS without problems, given his sensitivities. So, your plan #1 is a good one; get back in your groove. Plan #4 is also good. I don't think you had a clean trial of the sweet potatoes, given the other things going on. It may take more than a month, though. I don't think you need to do the formula trial right now, unless you are just fed up and ready to give it a try.

I'm not sure a typical allergist would help, unless you find you are needing an epi-pen for anaphylactic allergies.

Kim
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mama to DS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

12/2005, Pepper kitty
, and
10/03,
1/05;
#3 of 8 Old 09-04-2010, 10:28 PM

I think your GI has been giving you some sucky advice. There is no reason on earth a 6mo needs to be eating solids. Even the AAP recommends breastmilk as the primary food for a year. Lots of parents with allergic/intolerant kids wait several more months to start solids.

Taking a child OFF bm to get solids started seems really backwards nutritionally, especially if your little one has trouble digesting solids (so he won't get much nutrition from them).

And I'd never start with a grain. If sweet potato was a problem, try something like homemade meat broth.

Like you think, it sounds to me like you still may be eating things that cause issues for your son, just not the huge issues. If you look beyond poop as a symptom - do you see changes in behavior, sleep, moods, skin, growth? Charting those in your food log may help identify culprits.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel

#4 of 8 Old 09-05-2010, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the replies.

would Klaire labs ther-biotic infant formula be appropriate?
http://www.protherainc.com/prod/proddetail.asp?id=K-TIF

and any suggestions on what I should eat/not eat to get to baseline? I'm considering going grain-free... just meats, fruits and veggies. I would consider another TED, if I thought it would help.

oh, and I can no longer tolerate (debilitating stomach cramps for 4-6 hours)quiona or avocado, after eating them daily for over a month.

He did have pink sandpaper rash on his pubic and sacral areas after the sweet potato, but thats the only time I ever saw that rash, and it's gone now. He's a really happy, easy baby, no behavioral symptoms, but I'll keep an extra eye out.

#5 of 8 Old 09-05-2010, 01:18 PM

I agree- definitely hold off on solids as long as you can. If his gut is inflamed, it might just need more time to close up and heal before he can deal with solids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisamommyRN View Post
oh, and I can no longer tolerate (debilitating stomach cramps for 4-6 hours)quiona or avocado, after eating them daily for over a month.
Have you ever done allergy testing for yourself? That might be part of what's going on with you guys. I would try IgG testing (ELISA or ALCAT) to see if you have some intolerances of your own- and then cut those out of your diet and see how his symptoms improve! Your insurance may or may not cover it, but if they don't, Meridian Valley labs has one of the cheaper ELISAs (it was about $125 for a basic panel, or $250 for a complete food panel when I did it a couple years ago.)

Oh- the Klaire probiotics are supposed to be good, but I personally wouldn't use them because they have inulin, which some people react to. Kirkman Labs makes an infant probiotic that is dairy-free and no FOS (inulin.)

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#6 of 8 Old 09-06-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimPM View Post
The good bacteria does NOT outweigh the bad lactose. This is exactly what we have seen. You need to find a dairy free probiotic. Klaire labs has some good ones that are not grown on dairy. You might have to order them online...we did.
Pharmax probiotics are not grown on dairy. All of them are grown on agar and they are human strains, not dairy strains.

The lactose in the Pharmax Neonate is from dairy but does not contain dairy protein. They have many reports (and I have collected a lot of PMs over the years too) showing that it is well tolerated and improves the gut in those babes suspected of having a dairy protein allergy. Of course it depends on the individual and I would absolutely avoid FOS for a sensitive gut.

Rice cereal for babies is refined with additives like iron that can irritate the gut and prevent absorption of iron from breastmilk. Mainstream peds do not know how to approach this condition in any way shape or form IMO.
#7 of 8 Old 09-07-2010, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the info on the Pharmax probiotics... I do feel like they are helping. (Poops are "seedier" and slightly less liquidy.) Should I avoid the FOS, too? (way back when, I did a formal challenge with these probiotics, and saw no difference in symptoms, but then again, we weren't really at baseline.)

i've never had allergy testing, 'cause I've never had a problem- ever- no GI problems, no skin problems, no respiratory problems- until I did the TED... and I'm not totally sure about the avocado or quinoa, but I haven't found a good time to challenge it, 'cause the stomach pain is so bad.

Still trying to decide what to eat... I'd like to eliminate the "likely offenders" without doing a strict TED again, but I don't know where to start- I took everthing out before, and never really got to baseline- maybe his gut was so inflamed (bleeding) that baseline wasn't possible in the three-ish weeks I tried... and then I added something that has prevented full healing?

oh, now I'm just rambling.

thanks, anyway, for the replies

-L

#8 of 8 Old 09-11-2010, 12:37 AM

Hi Lisa. I just popped in after a long break myself and saw your post. My DD is 11 months now and while I am very slowly introducing solids, she is still getting most of her nutrition from BM. I think you should keep breastfeeding!

A few questions & comments: How ready for solids is your DS? Sitting up well? How many teeth? Showing much interest?

My DD was VERY interested & got teeth early, but she didn't really start solids until closer to 9 months.

I'm taking a gut healing supplement from my ND called Permaclear. I don't think you mentioned taking anything like that.

Definitely try the chicken bone broth-my DD loved it. She likes drinking much more than eating. I just introduced brown basmati rice at 11 months-so I don't think you need to rush rice.

Personally, I'm still trying to stay on my 4 day rotation diet, alternating grains: buckwheat, rice/gf oats, amaranth, quinoa; meats: chicken/salmon, beef/mutton, turkey/tuna, buffalo/sardines; etc. It does drive me a little insane, but it helps in terms of you know what to eat... just follow the list for that day.

We still can't really maintain baseline either... DD almost always has a bit of a rash on her face. I've been thinking of testing her for gluten b/c I had been off of gluten for so long when we tested that we could have gotten a false negative. We're still gluten-free, but it is so hard to avoid gluten cross contamination (or crumbs on the floor from my older child), that if gluten were a problem, it could keep messing up all other food trials.

Good luck to you and your babe!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page