What To Expect? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 09-09-2010, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 15 month old has an appointment with the allergist on the 22nd... what should I expect from this? What do they usually do with such a little kid?

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 09-09-2010, 10:58 PM

They will probably just do skin testing, but maybe blood testing too. Allergy testing isn't very accurate at that age, so keep that in mind. You can get false positives AND false negatives, so if nothing shows up (and you've seen a reaction to that food before), wait for 6-12 months and test again.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#3 of 5 Old 09-10-2010, 02:33 PM

we're meeting with an allergist next week - ds is 12.5 months old. the receptionist said they will do skin prick testing using a multi-poke tool so it's pretty fast. I would call and ask what to expect, they should be happy to explain to you. if they are doing spt, you can't give antihistamines for a period of time before the test - the office we are going to said 4 days but it may vary.

just to warn you, we had the blood test (immunocap is what we had) done at 9 months (was having a hard time narrowing down foods and already on an elim diet) the blood draw was pretty bad - ds was very upset by it. I can't blame him I don't want to worry you but it was bad. the phlebotomist was good but it obviously hurt and scared ds. they weren't able to do it while he was nursing. it's just hard to put them through something like that when we take so much care to protect them from hurt.

#4 of 5 Old 09-10-2010, 03:38 PM

Yeah, blood tests can be bad. You can always ask for orders to take to a children's hospital- it will be MUCH less traumatic than trying to get it done at the allergists (or even a pediatrician's) office. We drive 45 minutes to a children's hospital whenever we need a blood draw for DD. They get get the needle in without her even flinching every time.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#5 of 5 Old 09-10-2010, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

They said no anti-histamines for a week prior to the appointment, but that isn't a huge issue because he doesn't take them He is 15 months old, I think I might call and ask what they will do... mostly we want to know if milk is an issue, and a few other things. The allergy clinic is in the hospital, and whenever we have had to have blood draws on the kids (2 other times) they have brought someone down from pediatrics to do the blood draw...

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page