The long awaited IgG test results - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 09-10-2010, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thought I would post this, since very few people IRL will care but I know all of you on this allergy / intolerance journey can commissurate...

I've been posting for years about DS1 and his various health issues which I suspected could be related to foods. We finally had him IgE and IgG tested in August - doing an ED with him just never worked. There wasn't enough motivation from him or the people around him to make it successful. Soooo..

IgE results showed no environmental or food allergies. Total IgE was 47.3 with a reference range of less than 87.0.

IgG testing showed the following:
3+ reactions
Navy bean
Peanut
Pinto bean
2+ reactions
Cantaloupe
Kidney Bean
String Bean
1+ reactions
Asparagus
Soy
Celery
Walnut
Cheddar cheese
Pecan
Very Low reaction
Alfalfa
Buckwheat
Cottage cheese
Flax seed
Lactalbumin
Mung bean
Parmesan cheese
Sole
Tuna
Avocado
Cashew
Cow's milk
Garbanzo
Lima bean
Mushroom
Pineapple
Spinach
Wheat
Bean sprout
Clam
Crab
Garlic
Lobster
Pat
Potato, white
Strawberry
Yogurt
Beet
Corn
Egg yolk
Grape
Millet
Oyster
Rice
Tomato

whew....

Laurie Busy mama to Boo (10/02) DeeDa (10/04) and Belly (10/07) TS 45X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 09-11-2010, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does it match up with what you know?
Or will you not know until you take everything out?
Did they give you a rotation diet to follow?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#3 of 5 Old 09-11-2010, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

It makes sense from the perspective of he never has had big swings in symptoms which tells me the things he reacts to are never really out of his system (peanuts and soy). Also we had really suspected dairy but never noticed a big change with dairy elimination, so the fact that dairy didn't react much makes sense. A lot of the higher level reactions are foods he loves, which also makes sense.

We're not eliminating the very low stuff yet. We're going to start with the 1+,2+, and 3+ and see how things look. We'll probably try to rotate the very low things too, and they did give up a rotation so that will be very helpful.

What surprises me the most is that he has many more foods on his list than either DD or I did, including many more with the higher level reactions. I really expected some IgE stuff with him and was surprised there was nothing. But I wasn't expecting all these IgG reactions. I was expecting wheat or gluten though, because he absolutely craves breads/ crackers/ bagels/ etc. Surprised that didn't make it higher on the list.

Luckily, the foods he tested positive to are mostly the same as DD and I - nuts, beans, and soy so that's easy.

#4 of 5 Old 09-12-2010, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How does he feel about changing his diet so much? My kids were younger when we eliminated foods and it was a much shorter list.

Just FYI, if you've got a few basic safe supplements, I've seen DS's intolerances get better once he's a bit more full-up on some nutrients. Not saying to do that instead of eliminating, but something to consider at some point to help the process along.
#5 of 5 Old 09-12-2010, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post
How does he feel about changing his diet so much? My kids were younger when we eliminated foods and it was a much shorter list.

Just FYI, if you've got a few basic safe supplements, I've seen DS's intolerances get better once he's a bit more full-up on some nutrients. Not saying to do that instead of eliminating, but something to consider at some point to help the process along.
Thanks Tanyalynn. I do plan to get him going on supplements, which we haven't done much of yet.

He was okay with the idea in theory of changing his diet, but now that he knows the things were going to be eliminating he is giving some resistance to the idea. It will be a challenge for sure, which is most of the reason we never were successful at eliminating things before we had the test results. Eliminating things blindly hoping to find some answers is much easier in a younger child but by age 7 or 8 not so much.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page