Thanks ds's school! What a first day - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 09-13-2010, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We signed ds up for jk a couple of weeks. Wrote that he has a dairy allergy. The secretary said "Oh sometimes we just give out kids ice cream"...I specifically said "NO DAIRY!" Wrote on all his paper work that his allergy isnt severe BUT he will get a tummy ache and it could get to the point where he would need to be sent home/miss the following day ect.

Fast track to Thursday and meet the teacher half day. Specifically told all THREE teachers of his allergy. Watched as the main teacher took note of it and said she would write it in the class newsletter since once a month different students are responsible for a group snack. I said just give me 24h notice of what the group snacks will be and I'll make the dairy free version for ds(and the meat free since were vegetarians) She said great, no problem ect.

Well first day of school and ds comes running out gives me his newsletter. Which says we are a peanut free school and a grapefruit free room. Ok NO MENTION OF DS'S DAIRY ALLERGY....then the real piss off

He says "MOMMY I GOT A TREAT IN MY BAG! CAN I HAVE IT?!?!" Open up a little loot bag to find hershey chocolate kisses!

I should have dealt with it right then but really wanted to talk to dh first. Who is not happy at all!

Where would you go from here?

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 09-13-2010, 10:08 PM

Oooooh- not cool. And grapefruit, really?

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#3 of 5 Old 09-13-2010, 10:27 PM

My ds is REALLY lactose intollerant. As in he rents dairy products. So they were going to have root beer floats in 2nd grade and I asked what time so I could bring in safe ice cream for him. A couple days later I reminded the teacher I needed to bring in his ice cream so I needed to know the time. She says to me "We had too many kids that are lactose intollerant so we are going to have a pizza party instead" (slaps forehead)

#4 of 5 Old 09-14-2010, 10:02 AM

I'd talk to the director/principal. There must be some sort of policy in place for dealing with food allergies. And if it is non-existent one, it needs to be developed.
#5 of 5 Old 09-15-2010, 06:56 PM

I honestly think you'll do better if you assume that it was a honest mistake--rather than freaking out about it. (Even though it's understandable.)

Can you make up fliers to include in everybody's backpack informing them of your child's dairy allergy as well as including a list of foods that are an issue, or talk about the difference between lactose intolerance and a true dairy allergy. You could also include your email address and ask the parents who will be providing the snack to email you so that you can provide an alternative for your child.

I'd also bring in a box of OK snacks for the teacher so that she has something to give your DC when needed.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page