Looking for ideas for homemade "formula" - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 09-13-2010, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mamas,

I am new here. I won't try to review all of our issues, but I'd really love some ideas for how to make a homemade "formula" or smoothie to help my baby gain some weight.

E is 14 months old. She is still breastfeeding. She has terrible reflux, which has made her less than enthusiastic about solids. She's allergic to eggs and has MSPI. She's not a big fan of coconut milk, which makes coming up with a smoothie recipe kind of challenging.

She is not gaining weight very well - docs are calling her "failure to thrive." Her docs are freaking out about her weight. I would like to start giving her a supplemental sippy cup every afternoon to try to increase her calories.

Any ideas for something that wouldn't have dairy, soy, or coconut milk in it (and no eggs, obviously) ...?

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 09-15-2010, 11:56 AM

Have you tried using almond milk, hazelnut milk, hemp milk, or rice milk as a base?

Kim
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mama to DS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

12/2005, Pepper kitty
, and
10/03,
1/05;
#3 of 4 Old 09-16-2010, 07:13 PM

Whole Milk?

ETA: NM! Sorry, just read what MSPI is.

#4 of 4 Old 09-16-2010, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you have a good milk supply, I would pump your own milk to use as the base. Otherwise, I'd try hemp or almond milk, or dairy-free yogurt/kefir, or some juice as a last resort... Does she just dislike coconut milk or is she intolerant to it? If you mix in enough yummy stuff she likely wouldn't notice the coconut taste.

Some things you could add to it (in addition to her favorite fruits!) to up the calories/fat: almond butter, peanut butter, flax seed oil, tahini, coconut oil (if she'll tolerate it)... You could also add cocoa or carob powder to disguise any weird tastes that she may not like!

My DS loves smoothies but they are mostly a 'treat' in our house. We often do this combo: coconut milk, bananas or peaches, strawberries, & almond butter.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page