skin rash, don't know what to do?? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 09-14-2010, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my 2 year old dd got a rash early august, right where her diaper rubbed on her right inner thigh. it started small and then spread up the leg, to the other leg, down near her knees, a bit on her belly and to her forearm. she took antibiotic for 10 days as the dr. thought it was strep infection. it was red spots, bumpy and raw and she would itch it and say 'hurt'. the antibiotic seemed to take care of some of it, the rawness of it, but the red bumpy itchy rash remains. then the dr. said it looks like an allergy to something in the environment.
so he gave us anti-histamine and hydrocortisone cream, she's been on these for 1 week. i also remembered that i had switched laundry soap around the time of the first outbreak, so i figured that was the culprit. went back to what we had been using thinking, now this will clear up.

well today it is looking worse. i changed her this morning and her leg is more red and bumpy, and she has more spots traveling up her belly area.
what is going on??? i HATE seeing this on her sweet little body, it pains me. anyone have any expereince, suggestions for me?
she has been raised vegan-no dairy or meat, but we do eat some soy and wheat products. last night we did have seitan stir-fry, this morning the bumps are worse. could it be food, wheat? but if she had been eating this all along why did it just randomly pop up? there is no digestive upset, either.
severe dairy intolerance runs on our family, which is why we don't eat it. could there be another food issue?
can't think of any other product changes in our home. the dr. thinks its soap or products like that, not food.

Mama to two girls, born 5/08 and 11/10.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 09-14-2010, 01:22 PM

I had to look up "seiten" - processed wheat gluten, right? Yeah, that would cause lots of problems even for a child that is only moderately gluten sensitive. Soy could also be your culprit - a lot of people who are dairy intolerant are also soy intolerant.

The only way to know for sure is to take out foods and see what happens.

In my experience, docs are very often wrong on this stuff (and would rather put kids on drugs than try elimination diets).

Sometimes it takes a while for the gut to get inflamed enough to react to foods - my son started reacting at about 20 months old.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#3 of 3 Old 09-14-2010, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

yes, setian is like pure evil if you have gluten/wheat issues. that's why i wonder...

well looks like i will be looking into the elimination diet. i sure want to figure this out and help my daughter.

also thought maybe i could try an allergist for testing? anyone have experience going this route?

Mama to two girls, born 5/08 and 11/10.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page