um, am I allergic to my BED? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 09-15-2010, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Setup: We have a queen bed and a single mattress on the floor next to it. When DS was nightweaning I slept on the floor because having me next to him made him want to eat...now, as I get bigger with pregnancy, it's nice to have space every now and then. (And it's a space where DH and I can cuddle without moving the kid!)

I do fine on the floor allergy wise. However, when I first crawl into the big bed (if DS is looking for me or when DH goes to work) my nose tickles and feels a bit puffy for a bit. Sometimes I suddenly can't breathe out of it and/or I start sneezing. It usually resolves in an hour or so...

We have:
- dusted
- vacuumed the floor and the mattress
- washed all bedding
- made sure everyone showers before bed
- cleaned both fans (ceiling and box)

But it keeps happening. Ideas?

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 09-16-2010, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's possible you have an allergy to dust mites (incredibly common) and they love to hang out in mattresses. Get yourself a hepa type filter system for your bedroom (they are inexpensive at Target - you don't have to get a pricey one) and get dust mite covers for your bed, pillows and blankets. I've gotten them quite inexpensively at BJ's Wholesale and Bed, Bath & Beyond (with those wonderful 20% off coupons). If that doesn't help, you may have to make an appt with your allergist to try to narrow down the issue.

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
#3 of 3 Old 09-16-2010, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
You could also be allergic to the chemicals in the mattress, but more than likely they would affect you even if you slept on the floor.

Does it only happen if your ds is in the bed already? If he were sleeping on the floor, would the bed still make you sick? I'm wondering if maybe you are reacting to his shampoo or something?

Bring back the old MDC

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page