I look pregnant on GF diet - Mothering Forums

#1 of 12 Old 12-26-2010, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've been on a GF diet for 5 months now & it seems each week my stomach expands a bit!! I look pregnant now!! Seriously!!! I don't understand what's going on, I used to get a bit of a pooch if I ate too much or around the time AF but nothing this bad or this constant. It's embarassing (not to mention kind of difficult because we have been TTC #2 for well over a year with no luck so looking this way makes me feel even worse, you know?) Has anyone else had this happen when switching to a GF diet???

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 12-26-2010, 06:35 PM

I've gained weight and puffiness at my middle when my digestion has worsened--are there any foods you're eating more of now, or other dietary changes you've made in a similar timeframe?  Gluten doesn't mess with my digestion (and GF didn't improve my digestion) but other things have affected it. 

#3 of 12 Old 12-26-2010, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Well I'm eating more rice, corn, etc. since going GF. I cut out most (but not all) soy when I went GF as well. My digestion seems basically the same or slightly better but my big huge stomach has different ideas.

confused.gif

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif

#4 of 12 Old 12-26-2010, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You're probably not digesting the other grains well.  I get this when I eat too much of any grain.

<>< Alison
#5 of 12 Old 12-27-2010, 03:17 PM

Look at your sugar intake...  If you are eating lots of grains and sweet things your insulin may be working overtime, which tends to gather fat in the middle.  

SUCKS I know, I have to monitor this about myself all the time.  When I keep sugar {of ALL kinds} and grains to a minimum, I feel and look much better.

#6 of 12 Old 12-27-2010, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

I eat very little sugar but I do eat a lot of grains. I don't really ever feel 'full' unless I eat grains so I guess I need to choose between being hungry or being full & having a huge belly?? :(

#7 of 12 Old 12-27-2010, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Are you eating processed GF foods?  I found when I learned of my gluten intolerance that I leaned on the GF processed garb and really... it is still a processed food = not healthy.  I also found that GF grains were a culprit.  I have been GF for 7 years now and find that I am still weeding foods out of my diet.  Got rid of soy 2 years ago and recently rid of corn. 

Have you supplemented with any probiotics, fermented foods for gut flora (ie: sauerkraut)?

Good book to read...

http://www.gutandpsychologysyndrome.com/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'09   
#8 of 12 Old 12-27-2010, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm well I'm eating less processed than before I went GF but I do sometimes eat GF crackers/pasta/etc. My diet generally consists of lots of veggies, beans, nuts, brown rice, polenta, coconut milk... stuff like that. I will have to try adding more fermented foods or something & try soaking grains more often (don't often have time for that).

#9 of 12 Old 12-27-2010, 04:24 PM

Sounds like you are on the right track though.  I have a friend that has problems with coconut and had the same symptoms as you are describing....  it is all such a delicate dance.  Also, when eliminating foods... I have found others that didn't seem to be a problem tend to present themselves. 

Soaking your grains and legumes really does help though.  I am the queen of forgetting to do so when planning meals... I just put one out in the morning and that will be dinner the next night or the night after that.  It tends to work itself out. 

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'09   
#10 of 12 Old 12-27-2010, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

I have been eating more coconut milk -- mostly because I was trying to get more fat into DS's diet (and so incorporated it into the family meals) and also because I cut out soy & felt the need to replace it with something. Maybe I could try cutting back on that for a bit. Ughhh why are these issues so complicated?? I wish someone would just tell me what I can eat & what will make me sick or tired or puffy. I'm quite good at sticking to 'rules' but apparently not so good at figuring out what the 'rules' are.

#11 of 12 Old 12-27-2010, 04:40 PM

Lastrid makes a great point.  I tend to OD on one grain then go to another.  When on track... I rotate grains weekly.  I tend to have issues with all rices and figuring out which legumes.

It is frustrating, no doubt.  Trust me.. I have been at this for a long time.  I found it important for me to remember that my body has changed so much that foods that worked a year ago may not now.  Rotating foods is tough but necessary for me.  I always stayed with what works to find it sometimes doesn't.  I find when seasons change, my body does as well (naturally) but I forget that!  Geez... 

dizzy.gif

'09   
#12 of 12 Old 12-28-2010, 03:38 PM

For us, we have to watch our fiber intake - too much and there's some bloating and poor digestion. I would feel bloated AND hungry. We generally don't take a lot of processed food in the first place, the boys love their vegs and fruits,  so we don't do too much whole grains. I have to ration the fruits as well or I'll see it in the toilet the next day. 

hippiemum,

eeks! Didn't know about the combination leading to the spare tyre! thanks for the heads up! I do know I always look better when I cut down on grains and up my protein. Time to stop baking GF bread for a while!  

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page