Natural remedies for eczema??? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 17 Old 06-18-2004, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not sure if this is where I should post this, but I need help.
My 20m/o DS has eczema. Not TOOO badly, but he does have golf-ball or smaller size flare-ups from time to time.
Is there a natural remedy for this? My dr recommended hydrocortizone (sp?) and if that didn't work...Rx stuff.
Isn't there a better way?
TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 06-18-2004, 10:15 PM

I gave up on the natural stuff and started using elidel on my dd when she turned 2. It works better than the cortizone and i only use it once or twice a week. it sounds like her itchies are about as severe as yours.
#3 of 17 Old 06-18-2004, 10:20 PM

I need to google or ask here for the "recipe" for chickweed salve. I think it's just chickweed, olive oil & beeswax. I hear it's great.

We use calendula ointment--not cream. But, I know ds' is NOT allergy related and only flares when he's hot, sweaty and dirty.

Vit A helps.

ps: I'll use elidel if it happens while we're on vacation and I didn't bring calendula. I use elidel for a day or so to bring it down to manageable status.

#4 of 17 Old 06-18-2004, 10:26 PM

Essential fatty acids are crucial to controlling ezcema.

There should be some information about that here

Also daily doses of probiotics are also essential. Check out the power of probiotic thread in health and healing.

Lastly, calendula ointment with essential oils of roman and german chamomile helps with acute flareups.

The most important part about ezcema is to determine what promotes it in your child and to avoid steroidal cremes such as cortizone as they 'push' the eczema inward towards the lungs.

Most children who have suffered from ezcema for years and used such steriodal cremes end up with respiratory issues such as asthma.

Seek alternative therapy...do not stop at your MD.
#5 of 17 Old 06-18-2004, 11:57 PM

I use diluted tea tree oil on ezcema. I started doing this after I read some recent research about too much of a certain bacteria in the skin of people with ezcema and a conclusion that indicated that antibiotics have a role to play in controlling ezcema. So I figured I'd try my natural antibiotic, tea tree oil. It's worked well.

As for using it on babies, I'd just make sure it's diluted well.
#6 of 17 Old 06-19-2004, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My dd used eucerin creme on her 5 months old son on his eczema and it seemed to work real well. I don't know whether it is a 'natural' product or not, but the eczema improved within two days.

She also let him soak in water for 10 minutes every day, used NO soap or shampoo. Just water and then the eucerin creme.

Might be worth a try. Hope it helps.
#7 of 17 Old 06-19-2004, 12:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Oh, she just called and said she used it four times a day for a few days, then cut down to three and so on. Within a week she was down to two times a day and is going to use it once a day from now on unless she sees that it comes back. She just said there is absolutely no sign of it left and he seems to be much calmer. Not itching and fussing so much.

He is NOT vaccinated.
#8 of 17 Old 06-19-2004, 12:52 AM

Do not use the steroid creams! Get elidel if the doc pushes for an rx, I didn't know about what mountain mom posted, now I feel even worse for using them. They caused splotchyness on my dd's skin, lowered immune system and after reading up a bit it's a possibility the cream played a role in her vax reaction to mmr. My old ped prescribed 'Aclovate' a 5% hydrocortisone, she didn't explain anything to me about it except after 3 weeks of daily use stop using it until you see a flare up coming on again. Urgh I wish I looked into it more and didn't listen. Elidel was just starting to come out and at that time wasn't for kids under 2 and she was so I thought this was a good thing.

Find out your ds's triggers if you can. My dd's are grass pollen, cow's milk, certain soaps, sss sunblock and anything with fake lavendar fragrance like those bedtime baby lotions. Just avoiding her triggers helps a lot! After realizing grass pollen bugs her we kept her inside in the mornings when the grass is damp and it's more likely to stick to her and we would always wash it iff her with soap after coming inside. It helps prevent grass outbreaks a lot.

Try using a very mild soap or no soap at all except on his face, hands and bum. Even 'baby soap' bothered my dd, the J&J, baby majic etc liquid stuff has too much crud in it unless you are buying organic crunchy type brand soaps. J&j baby bar soap is not bad, really nothing too bad in it, very mild and inexpensive if you can't afford more natural stuff, it's in a pink box.

Eucherin and aquaphor work great but I try and limit aquaphor because of the pertratum in it. But it's a good 'rescue' cream for a day or twos use if I see her getting a flare up.

Probiotics helped heal my dd's stomach after we cut out dairy and that in turn did help her eczema. Some kids flaxseed oil or cod liver oil work also because they moisturize the skin from the inside out.

After a bath lightly pat the skin with a towel and apply lotion while his skin is still a bit damp. That helps trap in moisture and not rubbing hard with the towel to dry him helps not aggrevate the skin and cause more breakouts and damage.

And another thing is warm not hot baths and frequent ones. I was making my dd's eczema worse by not putting her in the tub often, I would just wipe her down and that was it. My ped told me eczema is the opposite of traditional dry skin, it needs more water. A quick 10-15 minute max warm bath nightly helps a lot. If your ds likes a longer bath 20 minutes or more then you can skip a night. After you get the flareups under control you can cut back a bit if you don't have the time for a nightly bath.

If I remember anything else I will post back . Good luck!
#9 of 17 Old 06-19-2004, 12:56 AM

Hey, check out my post in Natural Living re: chickweed.

We also use probioticd or fresh yogurt daily + omega 3 fish oils.
#10 of 17 Old 06-19-2004, 01:02 AM

sorry Piles I didn't want to make you feel bad.
#11 of 17 Old 06-19-2004, 01:07 AM

Nooo it's ok!! I'm seriously glad you posted it and educated me on it so I know to never use them again and you may save someone else from using them and potentially harming their child. :

I meant sorta bad and mad at myself for blindly trusting my ped even when I read the package insert and my gut feeling screamed out at me I shouldn't be using it 3 times a day for 3 weeks straight on a (at the time) 13 month old baby. But I used to think docs knew better than I did and unfortunatly she was my 'experiment' child, the one you learn better from, sadly at their medical expense sometimes. She is 2 yrs old and fine now and she is sorta outgrowing her skin blotchyness. Thankfully since she was young I think it helped her skin heal and it not be a permanent thing.
#12 of 17 Old 06-19-2004, 01:10 AM

Sounds good Pilesolaundry! If she has never exhibited signs of lung weakness then its all good Even if she has nothing is ever a done deal if you know what I mean.
#13 of 17 Old 06-19-2004, 01:14 AM

Sorry to sorta hijack this thread and go T but another question.. I was always the one that put her cream on, dh never did. I tried most of the time to wash it all off but it was a thick ointment and I'm sure there are times I didn't get it all off. I at times seem to have some sort of lung issues, not really asthma but not 100% breathing properly either, would absorbing the cream affect me at all in that way or only if I had eczema?

I never had this problem as bad before until last year when she was prescribed that. I thought I was out of shape or it was triggered by sudden allergies that showed up out of nowhere.
#14 of 17 Old 06-19-2004, 01:20 AM

Yes I would think there is a connection to your lung weakness. That cortizone is crazy stuff!

On the postive side there are lots of things you can do to improve your lung function.

Particulairly including lots of green grasses and seaweeds such as chlorella, spirulina, barley grass, alfalfa etc.

I have lots of nutritional suggestions but the most important is try to limit dairy with the exception of yougurt and all flour based products. These really increase mucous output which in turn inhibits lung function.
#15 of 17 Old 06-19-2004, 01:34 AM

Thank you for the suggestion!! I'm not much of a milk drinker, but I do notice I'm worse if I eat too much ice cream.
#16 of 17 Old 06-19-2004, 01:10 PM

I second using an oitnment over a cream. I think they are easier to tolerate if you have ensitive skin.

Also if yout think its milk, you can try a dairy free diet. But I think it has to be 100% dairy free for a month before you can be sure. Soy and citrus are the other common food allergies that show up as excema. My mom is allergic to all 3, so we tried this for dd first.
#17 of 17 Old 06-19-2004, 04:01 PM

I second the things listed as food culprits for excema but I think its important to focus on things that are weakening the lung output.

Citris actually is highly benenfial to the respiratory system so I would not eliminate it....for eczema forsure but not for congested, weakened lung output.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page