A few questions about allergies - Mothering Forums

#1 of 15 Old 06-29-2004, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can you be allergic to corn syrup but not corn starch?
My dd is allergic to infant tylenol and we are trying to pinpoint what ingredient in it she is allergic to before she starts on table food in a few months. She can tolerate motrin just fine and the bottle I have has corn starch in it, the tylenol I have has corn syrup.

And does this sound like an allergy to you? Pollen/food/drug allergies run through our family on both mine and dh's side. They are worse in family members than I and dh but we do have a few allergies ourselves.

I made some iced chamomile tea for the baby to sip to help with her teething. After taking a few sips she wanted to be put down to play on the floor so I put her down and then about 20 minutes or so later she started to fuss so I picked her up and noticed she was gagging a little, there was nothing in her mouth and then she kept making this gag face a little (but not coughin or anything) she then threw up, it was tinged with a bit of mucus. Some of it came through her nose so that would explain a little of the mucus.

She started sneezing a lot and her eyes got all red and watery also. Could she be allergic to the chamomile flowers? BTW I used a tea bag, said it contains chamomile flowers only and is herbal with no caffine or additives but I have read somewhere that a corn derivitive is in some tea bags, I left the bag in the cup, could this be what caused it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 06-29-2004, 12:59 PM

Jackie -- It could be anything. Yes you can be allergic to Corn Syrup, not startch as it is made different and the proteins are broken down different. Personally I would take her to a Ped allergist. The gagging sounds like an anaphylatic reaction, which I know you know can be deadly. Also Tylenol contains Soy.
#3 of 15 Old 06-29-2004, 02:17 PM

It very well might be the dye in it causing the problem... that sounds more likely to me than the corn syrup.
good luck, and take that child to an allergist!

and people prone to hayfever should not use chamomile!

#4 of 15 Old 06-29-2004, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both. Urgh I hate allergies!! My toddler is allergic to dairy and soy it manifests in eczema. My ds is allergic to fire ants and now the baby is allergic to a few things I'm guessing!

My dh and I don't have any allergies except to prescription medicine but both of us have family members with bad hay fever I guess I won't use chamomile again!

This is what is in the tylenol, it's infant concentrated drops grape flavor:
acetominophen, butylparaben, cellulose, citric acid, corn syrup, d&c red#33,fd&c blue #1, flavors, glycerin, propylene glycol (yuck!), purified water, sodium bensozate, sorbitol, xanthan gum

this is what is in the motrin it is children's liquid berry flavor:
ibuprofen, acesulfame potassium, citric acid, corn starch, d&c yellow #10, fd&c red #40, glycerin,natural and artificial flavors,p0olysorbate 80, purified water,sodium benzoate, sucrose, xanthan gum.

The other night I didn't know dh fed her regular applesauce as opposed to homemade or jarred and it has corn syrup in it, she threw up that night but I thought it was related to teething (she gets a high fever) until I read the label and started to wonder.

She is only 9 months, will they bother with allergy testing this young?
#5 of 15 Old 06-29-2004, 05:02 PM

Jackie -- Some will, But ask for a CAP RAST test. Also hate to tell ya, Don't trust labels. You need to call the manufacturer. I know for a FACT soy is unlisted on tylenol.

HUGS
#6 of 15 Old 06-29-2004, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I was just at the allergist today and one of the things he stated while we were discussing soy is that allergies are never to sugars or oils, only to proteins. I do plan to ask why peanut oil is a problem for people with peanut allergies while soy oil is not a problem for those of us with soy allergies, knowing how some blankets (statements) can be too big...

So if someone's having a problem with corn syrup, it pretty much has to be with stray proteins in the syrup, OR it could be to mold spores that can get into things like corn syrup. I would bet on the molds myself. Those are a very common allergen. Corn itself can be an allergen, but it's the proteins, not the sugars that are the problem.

Camomile flowers can have pollen from other plants on them, which would then get into any tea made with them. Ragweed is commonly the one...

I think you need to see an allergist. They might not do the regular testing, but they can help you figure out what's going on.

"What will you do once you know?"
#7 of 15 Old 06-29-2004, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

The mold makes sense, I recently became sensative to it. Sometimes I get hives from it.

And I wondered about the soybean oil thing because of my other dd being allergic to soy.

Jessica, I will call them and thank you. I remember talking to you about this before when we first realized she was allergic to the tylenol. Since soy allergies run in the family that is definitly a possiblity.
#8 of 15 Old 06-29-2004, 06:57 PM

Corn syrup (particularly high fructose corn syrup) makes my 4 yo unbearable. Corn sweetners are disguised in many many things. Have you looked at the Feingold Program? http://www.feingold.org/home.html We have been doing FG for about 6 mo now.
#9 of 15 Old 06-29-2004, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Julie, yup I've heard of it we are trying to change my ds's diet by following feingold because he is showing signs of adhd. Taking dairy -esp. cow's milk- out of his diet has helped a lot. He is 5.5 years old and we just started.
#10 of 15 Old 06-30-2004, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilesoflaundry
Julie, yup I've heard of it we are trying to change my ds's diet by following feingold because he is showing signs of adhd. Taking dairy -esp. cow's milk- out of his diet has helped a lot. He is 5.5 years old and we just started.
That's great! Taking out dairy is so hard... we haven't tried that yet, mostly b/c dh shows great resistance. Anyway, there is a lot of talk about corn and corn products w/ Feingold members. You can be sensitive to corn syrup and other processed corn products (like dextrose and corn meal) but not corn itself (b/c of the way it's processed). Corn is such a ubiquitous (did I spell that right??) thing... it's in so much! I hope you can pinpoint the problem and not have to avoid all corn products.
#11 of 15 Old 06-30-2004, 12:07 AM

I don't believe that people aren't allergic to oils or sugar. My ds has had allergic reactions to both.
#12 of 15 Old 06-30-2004, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J.
I don't believe that people aren't allergic to oils or sugar. My ds has had allergic reactions to both.
I've always wondered this myself, I know people with chocolate allergies and peanut oil allergies.

Julie- corn, soy and dairy are in everything!! It's so hard, we haven't 100% taken dairy out just the main offenders cheese and cow's milk. I honestly think the cow's milk itself is the problem, we can't afford organic and the hormones and other crap they add to the regular stuff (well by giving it to the cows) is probably what sets him off more than the dairy itself.
#13 of 15 Old 06-30-2004, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiri
I was just at the allergist today and one of the things he stated while we were discussing soy is that allergies are never to sugars or oils, only to proteins.
90% of allergies are from the top 8 proteins in dairy, tree nuts, peanuts, fish, shellfish, wheat, eggs, and soy.

But that statement is ridiculous. What about people with serious allergy to strawberries?
#14 of 15 Old 07-01-2004, 01:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I asked him about strawberries.

According to him anyone can react to strawberries as ripe strawberries are loaded with histamine. I'm supposing that he means that strawberry isn't as allergy as such, more a matter of the histamines in them setting off a reaction if a person is in a vulnerable stage...He recommends only eating them after a meal. I personally plan to refrain. Why set myself up for the itch of excess histamines in my body that would require me to take an antihistimine, eh?

I plan to ask about the peanut oil, because I know very well that that can be a problem and is indeed an oil! I wonder, just my own speculation here, if the difference is in the processing? Maybe peanut oil contains the proteins but the more refined soy oil doesn't???? Something to look into, definately. I am or was allergic to nickel, which is a metal not a protein. But he and I were discussing Food allergies, so...

Remember that there's a difference between sensitivity/intolerance to a food and true allergy to a food. I have problems when I consume too much dairy, but it's not an allergy, it's an intolerance because I cannot always digest it properly.

"What will you do once you know?"
#15 of 15 Old 07-01-2004, 05:26 PM

On the Oils, It really just depends. Sometimes you will react sometimes you want depending on how it was processed and how sensative you are.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page