Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (https://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Allergies (https://www.mothering.com/forum/307-allergies/)
-   -   Is this okay? Homeopathic Allergy Med + BF (https://www.mothering.com/forum/307-allergies/165161-okay-homeopathic-allergy-med-bf.html)

punkprincessmama 07-05-2004 10:01 PM

Just lost my whole post

I have severe seasonal allergies, just about all year long :LOL My MIL bought me some homeopathic allergy medicine, but I am leary to take it as I am new to homeopathy and unsure what is compatible wiht BF. Here are the ingredients

Active Ingredients

Apis Mel 30x
Alium Cepa 6x
Euphrasia 6x
Histaminium 6x
Natrium Muriaticum6x
Sabadilla 6x

I gotta run as dd is pulling on me, but what do you all think? Can I take this, and hopefully get relief, while still BFing my toddler? The directions call for one tablet, twice a day or repeated hourly as needed for acute conditions. Thanks!!!

cornflake girl 07-06-2004 01:29 AM

Yes, punkmama, it is perfectly safe while breastfeeding. The beauty of homeopathic remedies is that they are safe for anyone at anytime. I took them while pregnant, while breastfeeding and I give them to my kids. Heck, I've even given a remedy to my dog!

Skim 07-06-2004 05:18 PM

I agree, they are safe to use while breastfeeding. We gave our dd homeopathic remedies as an infant for teething, and herbs for rare colic symptoms, and she still gets homeopathy for colds, etc. She's 2.5 and has had no ill effects.

Homeopathy is so great because you don't have to worry about "side effects" the way you do with drugs. It's simply too small an amount to affect your babe - or you.

punkprincessmama 07-06-2004 08:07 PM

Thank you both for your answers! I've taken the remedy twice now and it works wonderfully and quickly. i have never in my life experienced such quick relief from my allergy problems!!

So I am wondering then, how do you know what dose to give to your child (or pet!)? Obviously I have a lot of learning to do, thank you so much for helping me out

Skim 07-06-2004 10:05 PM

I am so glad you're doing well!

We use two books in particular for children's issues:
1. Everybody's Guide to Homeopathic Medicines by Stephen Cummings and Dana Ullman
2. The Family Guide to Homeopathy by dr. Andrew Locke

We like #1 better, but #2 has more complete information sometimes. Plus, dosage for pre-made teething and allergy remedies is on the box. My only concern is that if you dose an infant, do so after much research for the right remedy. Homeopathy is so cool that if you have the wrong remedy, nothing will happen. If you have the right one, it gets better (athough in rare cases is gets a little worse and then gets better). But getting them to get the full dose can be challenging. And be sure you get the instant-dissolving kind for babies.

The best advice is to use it for yourself for a while to get a feel for it.

Here are our favorite and most-used remedies:
for poison ivy/oak rash - rhus tox 6x
for any tissue trauma, including bruises and overexertion from lifting - arnica
stopping flu symptoms in their tracks - oscillococcinum [really, this is a life saver!]
And we used different remedies for our cat's uti symptoms successfully.

And if you're feeling really advanced, there is a big book of remedies and symptoms called the homeopathic materia medica.

Good luck!

cornflake girl 07-07-2004 02:18 AM

I use two books:

1. Smart Medicine For A Healthier Child by Janet Zand
2. The Complete Homeopathy Handbook by Miranda Castro

The first book isn't really a homeopathy book but I like it because for each illness it lists the main herbal, homeopathic and allopathic treatments. This is a great reference book and it usually makes me feel more confident about staying away from the doctor and using alternative treatments- at least for the illnesses we've encountered so far.

I took a homeopathy class online which taught me how to use the second book. The class is taught by the moderator of the Yahoo vaccinations group, Sherri Nakken. It was amazing, very time consuming, but amazing. I would HIGHLY recommend it. If you're interested I could probably find the link for you.

And I have to second the remedies that the previous poster mentioned. Oscillococcinum really does work wonders for the flu. Another must have that comes to mind is aconite for nipping colds in the bud.

Good luck - homeopathy is addicting!