23 month old suffering from horrible Eczema - What to do??? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 03-16-2005, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
3 weeks ago I noticed small pimple like dots on my son's knees which later spread over his tummy and arm. He then began scratching them and they are now all over his torso, right leg and right arm. They are very close together and now look like an awful red patch

I suffer from ezcema myself, but only on my hands so I was not sure what my DS had at first. After seeing some pics of my mom's horrible eczema case as a child, I know that that's what DS has This awful disease runs in my family and we have never been able to get rid of it...

Can anyone give me tips and links on how to treat this?? His Ped said soimething about some OTC creams, but I don't want any strong skin medication on my son, until I have tried natural methods first. Besides, I know those creams only cover up the symptoms and don't cure eczema.

Any foods we should avoid?
Any teas, herbs he should drink/eat?? (he LOVES herbal teas BTW)
Any creams or lotions we should try??

My baby is suffering so much from it... He cries and begs me to let him scratch himself. He is also desperate in the middle of the night trying to scratch again and again and has not been sleeping his usual 12 hours because of the discomfort
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-16-2005, 04:02 PM

Wow. Strange that it would start up now. Have there been any changes in his diet or surroundings lately?

You can look through some of the eczema threads - there are a lot. I think the main foods that can trigger eczema are dairy, soy and wheat, then look at other allergens, like corn and nuts.

I have given my daughter borage oil and flax oil in her food - I think it helped, but cannot guarantee it did. ShiKai makes a pediatric formula borage oil lotion that has helped.

baby crying - gotta go. good luck

L.
#3 of 4 Old 03-16-2005, 06:37 PM

Leatherette had a good suggestion. I would first look at anything that has changed, first in his diet, then in his environment. Have you added new foods recently? Changed brands of a staple food? (IOW, could there be a new ingredient in a formerly safe food?) Soaps? Detergents? Fabric softener? Have you gotten a new pet? Or, has he been recently exposed at length to someone else's pet, like a neighbor's? Um, what about latex? Did he recently start wearing underwear or something else that could have latex in the elastic? Ds2 can't wear windpants b/c the material is too thin, doesn't provide enough of a barrier.

I'm giving you as many ideas as I can because I know how hard it is to see your little one so miserable.

There are lots of ways to treat eczema, but most just suppress it and then it returns. It's so much better to identify the cause, and then simultaneously treat/moisturize the remaining rash until it's gone. Ds2 will not clear up until the allergen is removed.

Missy

#4 of 4 Old 02-27-2006, 04:12 AM

Not to be frightening eczema generally is a raised red rash that does not generally begin as little pimple-like dots... i am obviously not a doctor or a nurse this is only my experience with eczema

Sometimes pytoriasis rosciea (sp) (a mild skin viral infection) starts out like small pimple-like dots and then spreads, and it itches a lot ( dh got it once) try florazone ( non-steroidal herbal creme from whole foods) to help with the itching.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page