Skin rash.....is it allergies? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 01-01-2007, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son's both have had acne (since birth) on their upper arms, upper legs, and on their cheeks (a little). They are just little bumps that eventually work their way out of the skin. I didn't think anything much about it (my upper arms aren't smooth either). But, last January my boys BOTH developed a skin rash on their butt cheeks. This rash IS a problem. We have been to the doctor several times and it's categorized as ezema. We have this prescription cream we've been putting on it that controls it, but it never goes away. It never spreads. It itches. What is this? It gets worse when the kids get hot and sweaty.

Is it allergies? Does anyone else have this? The MD's aren't helping.

SAHM married to with twin boys  and a girl .  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 01-01-2007, 02:13 PM

I'd guess allergies. How long did the acne last? Did it ever re-occur? Being hot can make exzema worse (but so can cold, dry air, go figure!).

Have you asked your doctor for an allergist referral? I had to change pediatricians (after bringing it up half a dozen times) and still be forceful to get the new pediatrician to take my concerns seriously.

Eczema is almost always an allergic response. Sometimes its just due to the weather, but the majority of the time it is due to food allergies.
#3 of 8 Old 01-01-2007, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Have you asked your doctor for an allergist referral? I had to change pediatricians (after bringing it up half a dozen times) and still be forceful to get the new pediatrician to take my concerns seriously.

I should check into this. No doctor has brought up the option. I asked about a dermatoligist referal and they said it wasn't needed!

The acne are very small bumps that sometimes surface, but it's pretty unnoticeable. They have both had that since birth, never leaving. I'm not concerned about that, but I thought I should mention it, since it is affecting the skin.

#4 of 8 Old 01-01-2007, 03:51 PM

ITA that the dermatologist isn't needed. Eczema is generally an allergy concern, not a skin concern. What I mean is, the derm. will treat symptoms and the allergist will treat the problem.

I have an HMO so I have to have a referral in order for insurance to pay. I had to ask the doctor for it and be firm that it was what I wanted. I got the lines that it couldn't be an allergy, that it would be painful, yada, yada, yada. DS didn't notice the back test and barely fussed for the bloo draw (he also had the RAST done before the allergist referral)
#5 of 8 Old 01-01-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden's Mom View Post
ITA that the dermatologist isn't needed. Eczema is generally an allergy concern, not a skin concern. What I mean is, the derm. will treat symptoms and the allergist will treat the problem.
ITA. We had a doc that wanted to refer us to a pediatric derm. We went to an allergist instead and once we found out dd's allergens and eliminated them, her skin cleared up on its own.

If your children's allergies are food related, you want to find out sooner rather than later so you can get to avoiding them and give your dcs the best chance of outgrowing them.
#6 of 8 Old 01-01-2007, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not even sure if we have an allergist in our town. I will do needed research and find out about insurance. Thanks.

Are there any helpful websites for skin conditions?

#7 of 8 Old 01-01-2007, 07:07 PM

I don't know any websites, but allergists/immunologists are not uncommon. Unless you are in a one horse town next to another one horse town you probably have one close by.

Actually I lied. Here are some websites I have added to my favorites that may or may not be helpful to you.

http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org/index.php

http://www.foodallergy.org/

I have more info related to specific food allergies, but I'm not sure it would be helpful to you. My DS has dairy, egg, tomato and strawberry allergies.
#8 of 8 Old 01-02-2007, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Much thanks!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page