Allergies and Agressive Behavior - Mothering Forums

#1 of 9 Old 04-04-2007, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone! My 2.5 year old ds can be quite agressive. He's currently on the verge of getting kicked out of his 2nd daycare. He's been evaluated through early intervention and has been deemed a "normal" toddler with no special needs. He's been agressive since before he was one year old and at times he improves, and then regresses. Some days and weeks are good and some are not. I've been working with a number of professionals and with the daycare to make sure we're responding to his behavior and basically we're doing all of the right things.

One of the last straws I'm grabbing at here to try and help our situation is possible food or environmental allergies or sensitivities. I know he has gastrointestinal difficulties if he drinks cow's milk, so he only drinks rice or breast milk. Beyond that, the only other reasons I have to suspect allergies is his aggressive behavior and eczema. He gets dry scaly skin on his cheeks and and has a pretty bad patch right now on his shin.

I'm just not sure the best, most gentle and least disruptive way to go about diagnosing and treating this. I welcome any advice you can offer.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 04-04-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecrocks23 View Post
Hi everyone! My 2.5 year old ds can be quite agressive. He's currently on the verge of getting kicked out of his 2nd daycare. He's been evaluated through early intervention and has been deemed a "normal" toddler with no special needs. He's been agressive since before he was one year old and at times he improves, and then regresses. Some days and weeks are good and some are not. I've been working with a number of professionals and with the daycare to make sure we're responding to his behavior and basically we're doing all of the right things.

One of the last straws I'm grabbing at here to try and help our situation is possible food or environmental allergies or sensitivities. I know he has gastrointestinal difficulties if he drinks cow's milk, so he only drinks rice or breast milk. Beyond that, the only other reasons I have to suspect allergies is his aggressive behavior and eczema. He gets dry scaly skin on his cheeks and and has a pretty bad patch right now on his shin.

I'm just not sure the best, most gentle and least disruptive way to go about diagnosing and treating this. I welcome any advice you can offer.

Thanks!
have you considered TED? you would start with eliminating ALL dairy and soy from your diet. you should give this a month as it can take that long for the protiens to clear out of your breastmilk. my son is 10 months and has been on an elemental formula since 3 months, (milk/soy free) and it has made all the difference in the world.

DS 5-11-06
#3 of 9 Old 04-20-2007, 05:42 PM

I'm a little late chiming in with this, but my daughter becomes agressive when she has food dyes. Two to google are Red #40 and Yellow #5- they are the usually culprits causing aggression if it is dye-related.

I'm trying to remember how long it takes to "detox" from the dye, but I'm thinking it was at least a week. I know my daughter had some red by mistake on Wednesday and it's Friday now and she's still hyper and agressive, but I can tell it's decreasing some.

Here's a good site:
http://recipestoday.com/resources/articles/reddye.htm

Also, I have read in some advice columns that "red dye is not harmful and it doesn't hurt to experiment with high amounts in order to find out if it is really the culprit." I would advise against this for several reasons. #1- if you cut it out for a week and notice a decrease in the behavior, then you have your answer- you don't have to overdose a child to find out if it's the problem! In fact, when we changed our daughter's diet, she actually began ASKING for red things, which I've read is VERY common. It's like a drug addiction. Now if she has red, she can tell you, her "brain feels funny and skin feels crawly."

Also, I belive it IS dangerous to introduce high levels of a substance that is A) known to be toxic (they use it as a pesticide!!)
B) is causing your child some sort of distress or chemical reaction in the first place

Also, completely my own opinion, but my daughter's preschool teacher died of a stroke the same day she admitted to me upon picking her up from daycare (it was Valentine's Day) that she had eaten an entire Red Velvet Cake herself for lunch that day. Red Velvet Cake usually contains AT LEAST a whole bottle of red food coloring. I'm convinced this had something to do with her stroke. Also, my mom has told numerous friends about Pixie's allergy and several of them have stopped eating/using food dyes and have had great success with eliminating migraines and one is doing better with her Rheumatoid Arthritis because of it!

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions!
'Manda

::Mommy to Pixie : 9-3-00 and Peri 11-15-07

#4 of 9 Old 04-20-2007, 06:13 PM

My ff gets extremely cranky when she's into her allergens, which can translate to aggression. I second the idea of a TED or at least the big allergens (wheat, dairy, soy, eggs, nuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, corn).
#5 of 9 Old 04-26-2007, 09:29 PM

My son gets aggressive when he eats dietary histamines or amines. They form in anything that has protein as the protein ages. For example we buy our chicken the day the butcher gets it and we freeze it and eat it within a week. We also quick thaw and quick cook it. Any aged meats make him hit and throw things, among other symptoms.

Here is a list of amines
http://users.bigpond.net.au/allergyd...fi/amines.html

We create our own reality.
#6 of 9 Old 04-27-2007, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your ideas! We tried TED for three days and had to stop b/c it was causing so much trouble at daycare. DS was EXTREMELY upset that he couldn't eat what the other kids were eating and the other kids were upset they couldn't eat what ds was eating. It was stressful for everyone and the last thing his teachers need is more stress -- his behavior causes them enough!

I'm looking into applied kinesiology and might do a blood test as well. Is there a way to test for the histamines? That's interesting. I'm also looking into NAET, but there are no local practitioners. There is however a chiropractor who does NMT, which I guess is similar to NAET except it addresses multiple allergies as well.

We''ll see. Let me know if you have any more wisdom to share. Thanks.
#7 of 9 Old 04-27-2007, 11:48 PM

Yes and plus nutritional and amino acid deficiencies can cause behavior issues (which can in turn be caused by poor digestion/allergies/inflamed intestinal tract).

How much does he sleep? Have you read any of the Spirited Child books?

http://www.parentchildhelp.com/Sleep...5/Default.aspx
#8 of 9 Old 04-28-2007, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecrocks23 View Post
Thanks for your ideas! We tried TED for three days and had to stop b/c it was causing so much trouble at daycare. DS was EXTREMELY upset that he couldn't eat what the other kids were eating and the other kids were upset they couldn't eat what ds was eating. It was stressful for everyone and the last thing his teachers need is more stress -- his behavior causes them enough!
well it may be inconveient, but if it makes him feel better and improves aggression, isnt that worth it? you would have to give it several weeks to see a difference. i would choose inconveince at daycare anyday over an irritable and aggressive toddler.

DS 5-11-06
#9 of 9 Old 04-28-2007, 06:47 PM

my son's reaction to dairy and beef is behavioral and excema. He becomes more intense, nervous, upset and high energy. When the allergy was unidentified as a baby he had other symptoms: no sleep, stinky gas, intense behaviour. It is difficult removing things. We try our best to have as many substitutes in place as possible, so that he doesn't feel left out. So far, it has been more emotionally difficult for me to remove DS1's allergens than it has been to remove my own and my DS2's even though they are more numerous.

our allergies:
DS1: dairy, beef
DS2: dairy, beef, soy, gluten, legumes, all nuts except almonds, citrus, coconut, chocolate, strawberries, shellfish
mine: gluten (and my naturopath says eggs, by I am unwilling to accept it.) Plus, all of DS2's since we are nursing.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page