Anyone's child get WORSE on an Elimination Diet??? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 16 Old 04-12-2007, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I swear my 15 week old ds is getting worse, not better! I just wanted to post really quick, I hope to be able to post more later tonight about our story.... I started the TED 2 1/2 days ago and he is becoming increasingly congested/snotty sounding. I am wondering is he allergic to rice? I am consuming MASSIVE quantities of rice these last couple of days.
Anyone experience similar symptoms?
Thanks, more later....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 04-12-2007, 09:18 PM

Yeah, when I did the TED for my DD's eczema she did get worse. She was about 3 months at the time. She is 17 months now and I've got it mostly figured out. Looking back at her situation, I think she got worse because the quality of my breastmilk was probably terrible. She wasn't getting nearly enough of the fats and nutrients that she needed when all I was eating was rice and green beans. She made her big turn around when I started giving her high vitamin CLO which showed me that she really needed those high quality fats. She was also allergy tested at 6 months (which I know is not super accurate) but did give me a jumping off point to figuring out her food allergies.

That being said, I'm sure TEDs do work for some women and I know it takes a while for all of the bad foods to get our of your system (like dairy).
#3 of 16 Old 04-13-2007, 12:27 PM

Yep, I can totally relate. I have been on an elimination diet for almost a month and I see no improvement, in fact some days his eczema looks worse that ever. i am also eating tons of rice and rice products. I am considering going off the rice as maybe he is allergic to that, but then what the heck do I eat? It is so frustrating.

#4 of 16 Old 04-14-2007, 02:58 PM

Are you giving bifidobacteria? Now is the time for it to do the most good in nipping these issues in the bud.

Rice was and is still a problem with our DS (but he eats it now on Rotation and doing quite well).
#5 of 16 Old 04-15-2007, 02:17 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi,

My dd is actually allergic to rice, and a lot of other things that are on that elimination diet. I'm sorry you are struggling. I had never heard of anyone being allergic to rice until I read about them on this board. When my dd tested + on the skin test that confirmed it for me.

She is doing great on potatoes so far. Keeping fingers crossed!

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#6 of 16 Old 04-15-2007, 12:22 PM

subscribing to this, as we are in the same boat.
#7 of 16 Old 04-15-2007, 04:16 PM

I just posted to HTG about this.

I am exclusively breastfeeding and have been dairy free since dd was born and wheat free since dd was 2 months old (she is almost 6 months old now) and over a month ago started no wheat, dairy, soy, nuts, shellfish, beans, tomatoes and eggs. Started TED x1 week ago and this morning she had a HUGE nasty typical reaction diaper . Since stopping the wheat she hasn't been fussy but we just cannot solve this problem with the poo. We are giving her probiotics x2 a day as well. I feel soooo discouraged.

TED is making me crazy. I feel like my body is going bananas with cravings and I'm consuming way more food than what is normal for me. Now I'm curious though if she is having issues with rice (I would've never suspected!!). I'd have to go off of TED though if I cut out rice because just eating zucchini, pears and meat would send me over the edge I think.

JaneS...do you have anymore tips?
#8 of 16 Old 04-15-2007, 06:49 PM

Digestive enzymes for you? High vitamin cod liver oil for the vitamin A/IgA connection? Bone broths everyday for calcium, and also glutamine and gelatin to heal gut? Which probiotics?

DS is allergic to squashes too, so it literally could be anything you are eating, so the enzymes might help. Maybe you should consider a Rotation Diet? I really don't know how much of "eating one thing" makes things worse with a leaky gut.

Dr. Lipski's book I just posted about in Cheat Sheet does recommend digestive enzymes for babes too, but I'm not sure about that.
#9 of 16 Old 04-16-2007, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Digestive enzymes for you? High vitamin cod liver oil for the vitamin A/IgA connection? Bone broths everyday for calcium, and also glutamine and gelatin to heal gut? Which probiotics?

DS is allergic to squashes too, so it literally could be anything you are eating, so the enzymes might help. Maybe you should consider a Rotation Diet? I really don't know how much of "eating one thing" makes things worse with a leaky gut.

Dr. Lipski's book I just posted about in Cheat Sheet does recommend digestive enzymes for babes too, but I'm not sure about that.
I had been taking the Nordic Naturals CLO just until I started the TED. I've been giving dd the Solaray probiotics.

Will look more into the rotation diet
#10 of 16 Old 04-17-2007, 10:31 PM

Nordic Naturals is not enough for daily use nevermind to correct a deficiency.
#11 of 16 Old 04-17-2007, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Nordic Naturals is not enough for daily use nevermind to correct a deficiency.
Oh! I didn't know that . What brand do you recommend?

What a headache! I am so sick of spending good $$ on supplements that I've been told are really good only to find out that they are not worth it
#12 of 16 Old 04-20-2007, 10:34 PM

Dr. Ron's, Radiant Life or Blue Ice:
http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnut...-oil-menu.html

If you think you have a deficiency you can go up to 90,000 IU of A a day for a short time.
#13 of 16 Old 04-23-2007, 05:56 PM

When we did an elimination diet, it turned out my DD was allergic to some of the foods in the diet.
#14 of 16 Old 04-23-2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMama View Post
I started the TED 2 1/2 days ago and he is becoming increasingly congested/snotty sounding.
Has he been evaluated for reflux and aspiration issues? Those, along with the food allergies, contributed hugely to Baby E's constant congestion.
#15 of 16 Old 04-23-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_kangaroo View Post
Has he been evaluated for reflux and aspiration issues? Those, along with the food allergies, contributed hugely to Baby E's constant congestion.
ITA-many times food intolerances go hand in hand with reflux. also, 2 and a half days is nothing. you should give it a good month on a totally milk/soy free diet to see if that is the issue.

DS 5-11-06
#16 of 16 Old 04-26-2007, 10:29 PM

Yep...I think you might need to give it more time. It takes several weeks for the proteins to clear from your milk and then from baby's system. Also, you need to heal this round of eczema to see the difference....

It took a few weeks before I noticed a dramatic difference in DS's skin. I only eliminated dairy, eggs, nuts and seeds because I was losing too much weight, even on a modified TED (10 pounds in two weeks).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page