could traces of corn syrup cause green poop? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 04-21-2007, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD is having very weird poop. She has green poop if either of us consume one of her allergens, and lately she's been having partly green poop. ie half of her stool will be a normal color, and half of it (the half that has undigested food in it) will be green. Hmmm...just realized that must mean she's reacting to something she's eating and not something I'm eating.

Anyhow, the only things she's eating right now that she doesn't digest are rutabagas and pears. The pears are canned in syrup made with corn syrup although I do rinse them and try to get all the syrup off them. So...how likely is it that she's actually reacting to whatever corn syrup is still on the pears? I know pears and rutabagas aren't common allergense and corn is, but I'm not sure how likely it is that traces of corn would cause the green poop (and no other symptoms AFAIK).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 04-21-2007, 07:03 PM

I believe it could. We buy canned pears canned in pear juice concentrate or with just sugar and water (Del Monte or Kroeger brands). I believe you're getting more than just trace amounts of corn syrup in those pears, despite washing them. They will have absorbed a lot of corn by the time they get to you in the can.
#3 of 8 Old 04-21-2007, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Well I'll eliminate pears altogether for a day or two to make sure it's something about the pears and not the rutabagas, and then I'll try to find the ones canned with sugar syrup only to see if she's reacting to the pears themselves or the corn syrup. I'd prefer pears canned in juice concentrate but they're not allowed on the diet we're doing (or better yet, fresh pears, but for some reason fresh pears never get ripe around here).

#4 of 8 Old 04-23-2007, 05:43 PM

Baby E gets severe symptoms, including strange poops (sometimes only half the poop, like you mention) from consuming traces of corn derivatives, including corn syrup, either directly or in my milk.

If you decide to try eliminating corn, let me know and I can point you to some helpful resources.
#5 of 8 Old 04-23-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
I'd prefer pears canned in juice concentrate but they're not allowed on the diet we're doing (or better yet, fresh pears, but for some reason fresh pears never get ripe around here).
Have you tried putting the pears in a paper bag on the counter? That works here . . . they don't really LOOK ripe, but they get softer and sweeter. Make sure you get organic pears, and then scrub them with baking soda and peel them just before eating if you are wanting to eliminate chances of corn contamination. Fresh produce is often treated with corn derivatives (so is most meat).
#6 of 8 Old 04-23-2007, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_kangaroo View Post
Have you tried putting the pears in a paper bag on the counter? That works here . . . they don't really LOOK ripe, but they get softer and sweeter. Make sure you get organic pears, and then scrub them with baking soda and peel them just before eating if you are wanting to eliminate chances of corn contamination. Fresh produce is often treated with corn derivatives (so is most meat).
I did that for my last batch of pears and they actually did get ripe although it took a week. I did peel them as well. I don't think it was the pears now, though, as I didn't give her any pears yesterday and she still had some green poop today. It looks like it must be either the rutabagas or the celery (forgot I was giving her cooked celery as well).
#7 of 8 Old 04-25-2007, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

I think I figured it out...brussel sprouts! I think she gets green poop when she eats brussel sprouts. I'll have to do some more experimenting to make sure it's not corn syrup in pears, but it looks like she doesn't react to corn. Yeah! One less thing to worry about!
#8 of 8 Old 04-30-2007, 07:18 AM

Do oranges give her orange poop?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page