hives and reacting for how long? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 04-23-2007, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe two weeks ago my son got hives. Then over the next several days hives and eczema which spread all over his body. Severe.
We had allergy testing 9 days ago. He came up positive to foods he was eating along with tons of environmentals (grass, trees, pollens, cats).
I suspected two of the foods he tested positive to as the source of the hives because they were introduced right when all of this started.
Well, now it is has been over a week and he still gets itchy and some small hives when the bendryl wears off. I am concerned...why would he still be reactive when I took out the bad foods?
Yes, we still have cats, there are still trees and all too, but all that was in place before this happened to him. The foods weren't. So I really think it was the foods.
Why is he still itchy? Can it take this long to get stuff out of your system or is something else going on?
I don't think the hives were related to trees or other outdoor things because it had been absolutely frigid and we didn't really go outside much at all. I just can't see the counts being high then. And he got sick right after this appt. so he didnt' go outside at all until the last two days--and immediately afterward I gave him a bath, changed his clothes, and used a nasal spray to rinse his nose.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 04-23-2007, 05:53 PM

It could be that his system is freaking out for lack of a better word. My dd is allergic to several envirmentals, peanut and soy and spent the entire winter breaking out in hives after she had a cold. Any time she gets sick, her body tends to react with hives.

Also, have you asked his allergist? Good luck!

Mama of three.

#3 of 7 Old 04-23-2007, 11:16 PM

I would guess there's another as-yet unidentified food allergy. Either that, or derivatives of the identified foods in something he's eating.

#4 of 7 Old 04-25-2007, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm not saying there couldn't be an undiagnosed food allergies or a system on high alert.

But also, with my own and my older son's EAs (esp pollen), after a few days of increased pollen counts, we still have congestion and sinus issues from pollen residue all over the house. I know this because once we got determined about closing all the windows before pollen season started and keeping them closed, our reactions got much much milder. It's not easy to get all that residue off of everything: upholstery, bedding, etc, all blown in.

So even if you aren't exposing him to new pollen, he may be reacting to residue in your house.

You could also check the actual pollen counts in your area; in my experience, my guesses as to when and what pollen was high were not always accurate.

Also, did he test positive to dustmites? and do you have a cat? Because cat dander can take years, literally, to clear out of your house AFTER you get rid of the cat. And dustmites are very hard to shake.
#5 of 7 Old 04-25-2007, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your thoughts!
The allergist (well nurse) was not helpful. She said it shouldn't be the foods we removed 10 days ago, was maybe something else but maybe not--often they never figure out the problem and that is what zyrtec and benadryl are for. Not helpful. She did say that really they want him on something like zyrtec for a minimum of two weeks up to months to clear this out of his system. I've not done that. Maybe I should.

Here is the weird thing. Yesterday morning when he got up he had benadryl and then breakfast. I didn't give him any more benadryl until bed and his spots and such didn't change nor did he indicate he was itchy.

This morning he woke up and looked the same as last night so I didn't do benadryl. He had breakfast. I intentionally made the same that he had for afternoon snack yesterday and didn't react to. Next thing I know he is itching and the bumps are bigger. What in the world????
He was sneezing a couple of times this morning too. I just don't get it though--we didn't go outside or anything and he was fine when he woke. I'm puzzled. These bumps aren't hives (he hasn't had hives in maybe three days)--I think I'll post a picture actually so someone can tell me they are significant or not.
He did test positive to pollens, trees, grasses. I've been monitoring the pollen counts and a tree that he tested positive to is in the very high range yesterday. He did play outside yesterday afternoon but I examined him afterward and all was exactly the same and he wasn't sneezing or anything. I did change all our clothes and gave both boys a bath immediately after we came inside.
Yes we have cats and he tested trace positive to cats. The cats were actually in their room (a utility room) all night including this morning when he reacted. Not that there isn't cat in the house. Dust mite was negative but since our house dust has cat we do all the dust mite precautions with his bedroom. I just can't figure out his reaction this morning.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#6 of 7 Old 04-25-2007, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
During pollen season my younger son suddenly reacts to lots of foods that he's not otherwise allergic to; it seems a combination of a "full allergy bucket" and cross-reactions between fruit and the pollens he's allergic to. So most of the year he can eat bananas no problem; pollen season suddenly bananas make him break out. He's not allergic to bananas themselves but when his system is on pollen patrol it fires at bananas and some other fruit too. For him it's mainly cross-reacting raw fruit; if it's cooked or canned, he doesn't react.
#7 of 7 Old 04-26-2007, 01:53 PM

My sister just started having really bad hives. Her throat actually closed up a few times and we had to rush her to the ER. We could not figure out what the problem was and then she got a list of things that she is allergic too which is so LONG. There is so much she can't eat, Wheat, Soy, nuts(all kinds), chicken, pork, lobster, brocoli, celery, sweet protatos, greenbeans, and there are still more things on her list. Does anyone know where we can shop to get affordable gluten, soy, free products?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page