Hives won't stop! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 2 Old 04-28-2007, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey folks,

Looking for some guidance as I'm really new to all this hives stuff. I get kinda worried just seeing more and more hives coming out --
My 8 month old daughter broke out in major hives this past week. Head to toe, giant welts. When I took her into the doc, he suggested benadryl and didn't want to see things get worse. So we started some benadryl, took it about 24 hours and things started to get much better. But when I laid off the stuff (as I am leery of most drugs), the hives have come right back. I am worried that she's still being exposed to whatever is causing the hives. The hives are most persistent and angry-looking right around her diaper elastic. Could this be an indication of the source, or do hives just get angry in any hot spots? Then again, her eyes were watering and she was sneezing just before the hives came out -- could this mean that its spring? AIEE! Doc thinks that for babies this age it's food. We have gluten sensitivities in our family, but no allergies. Never seen a welt on my sons.

Any suggestions are most welcome - other ideas to reduce the inflammation, ways of sussing out the source - and how long would you give your child benadryl? I just don't like the idea of continuing it indefinitely, or even for days.

Thanks!

Shannon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 04-28-2007, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My only advice is to call an allergist. Good luck and I hope your babe is better soon!

Mama of three.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page