Air cleaner and other ???s - please help! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 2 Old 04-28-2007, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nak
First, anyone have any tips as to what to look for in an air cleaner/purifier? The price range is pretty broad and I'd rather not spend more than I have to. I need something for one room only, in case I get a BAD ATTACK (LIKE NOW) that I have somewhere to hide away. It's about a 10x15 room.

I have no idea what I'm allergicto at the moment, in the process of eliminating. I'm having a hypersensitivity response to something in my house/environment, but no idea what it might be. Any tips for pinning that down? I had pneumonia, which triggered some response in me. I've been hospitalized twice since, and am getting worse again : . Εvery time I come home I get worse after 5 days or so.

So far I've eliminated most chemical;s (most likely suspect since I've always had allergies to fragrances and such). Using only bs and vinegar for cleaning, charlies for laundry. Got a cover for the mattress but it's not here yet. Inspected for mold, clear house. What else do I need to be looking at?

I should be okay with food, as I ate the same in the hospital as home... it has to be something I have here that is NOT in the hospital, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 04-28-2007, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For the air cleaner, you want HEPA standard filtration. No ionizers or ozone generators. I have two ancient Honeywell Enviracaire units which do well for me. Both have internal HEPA filters and charcoal pre-filters.

Encase the mattress and pillows.

If you have ducted heating/cooling: replace filters for the furnace/AC. You may want to put filtrete material over the vents themselves in that one room (you can buy it in rolls from National Allergy). Your ductwork may also need cleaning.

I can't have windows open this time of year. Too much pollen.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page