Goat milk ok for dairy sensitive child? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 04-28-2007, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it just cow's milk that is problematic usually, and goat milk can be okay? I am hoping this is the case, but am a bit worried. I have to pump full time for my babe, and am no longer making enough milk, but she will drink a mixture of mama milk/goat milk, which relieves much pressure from me. She is 14 months old, and I believe she is dairy sensitive (cow's milk). How would I know if goat is problematic for her? Anyone have any stats or anecdotes one way or the other re: dairy allergic children and goat milk?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 04-28-2007, 09:58 PM

Most children who are allergic to cows milk are also allergic to goat's milk. I think its over 70%. The worse the dairy allergy the more likely the person will be allergic to goat's milk. DS reacted to goats milk by breaking out into hives.
#3 of 6 Old 04-28-2007, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Well darn, what can I feed her? I am getting desperate. She won't eat solids much.

I can't really say for sure she has reacted to the goat milk. She has been having it for one week. She has in the past few days developed some runny poo and a slight rash on her bottom, but apparently so have half the kids in our AP group. Not sure what to be looking for.

I have to say I absolutely hate dealing with this issue because it seems so elusive and complicated.

#4 of 6 Old 04-29-2007, 12:00 AM

DS drinks soy milk (when he isn't nursing). Rice milk is also a good alternative. Soy yogurt is very good as well. It's hard, but soy substitutes in just about everything but pudding. I use coconut milk for pudding.
#5 of 6 Old 04-29-2007, 02:09 PM

My kids can not drink cow's milk. They are sensitive to both lactose and casein, but, they can drink goat's milk. I make nut milk (with blanched almond, cashew and few pine nuts) for my DS, since we can not drink commercially sold nut milk, rice milk or eat any soy products.

If you are worried about the lactose in the goat milk, you can culture it for 24hr. to get the lactose out. You can also drain the whey out of the yogurt, but the longer you drain, the tart the yogurt will be.

I also have a juicer, and I think it is very beneficial to drink fresh, veg juice also.
#6 of 6 Old 04-29-2007, 02:16 PM

Over 90% of people with a true dairy allergy are also allergic to goat's milk. The proteins are very similar. Goat's milk is easier to *digest* than cow's milk, but that's different than an allergic response.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page