My little boy will turn 5 at the end of March. He has begun complaining that he “itches all over” and I am suspecting that he may have a food allergy. I am ready to try eliminating foods, but I’m wondering if there is any ONE allergy that causes this symptom more than others? I’m not finding much through “googling” so I’m turning to the experts here at MDC!
Here are some more facts that may be helpful to know about my little guy…we are having several behavioral issues in addition to his physical symptoms that I believe may be due to foods. Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to read my post. Any help is SO APPRECIATED!
1. Thus far he has either reached or exceeded all milestones for his age. He is very bright, but I believe his intelligence to be in a “normal” range for any behavioral evaluation purposes.
2. He does tend to “zone”, but not enough that anyone would notice (other than a doting mom, of course). It’s not a daily thing and happens very infrequently, but it’s there…this blank stare where you can tell he is off somewhere else. I first started to notice this around 2…
3. Compared to the average child, he does not get sick very often and it’s never been anything that’s lasted for very long or been severe. However, this year he seems to constantly be stuffy and seem a bit “off”…no runny nose.
4. He is SCRATCHING his feet and penis – stating they are ALWAYS itchy. He has NO rash indicating athlete’s foot or jock itch (which was my immediate suspicion). His feet are now irritated (under the sole between the ball and toes), but it still does not look like athlete’s foot. When I ask him about the itchiness, he says he’s always itchy and it’s all over, not just the feet the penis, but they are the worse.
5. We do eat dairy, but not much. He does not drink milk, but eats Stonyfield Farm yogurt each morning and cheese on occasion.
6. They do have sugar, but mostly in the form of natural sugar. Sweets are kept at a very minimum.
7. His behavior is extremely challenging. He is defiant and verbally and physically abusive towards me
8. He is very sensitive to temperature…refuses to wear a coat or will only use cold water to wash his hands. He HATES washing his hands.
Any advice, information and/or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated…I am having such a hard time. Thank you SO MUCH in advance!