"Itches all over" - no rash - food allergies? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 10 Old 02-14-2008, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My little boy will turn 5 at the end of March. He has begun complaining that he “itches all over” and I am suspecting that he may have a food allergy. I am ready to try eliminating foods, but I’m wondering if there is any ONE allergy that causes this symptom more than others? I’m not finding much through “googling” so I’m turning to the experts here at MDC! Here are some more facts that may be helpful to know about my little guy…we are having several behavioral issues in addition to his physical symptoms that I believe may be due to foods. Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to read my post. Any help is SO APPRECIATED!

1. Thus far he has either reached or exceeded all milestones for his age. He is very bright, but I believe his intelligence to be in a “normal” range for any behavioral evaluation purposes.

2. He does tend to “zone”, but not enough that anyone would notice (other than a doting mom, of course). It’s not a daily thing and happens very infrequently, but it’s there…this blank stare where you can tell he is off somewhere else. I first started to notice this around 2…

3. Compared to the average child, he does not get sick very often and it’s never been anything that’s lasted for very long or been severe. However, this year he seems to constantly be stuffy and seem a bit “off”…no runny nose.

4. He is SCRATCHING his feet and penis – stating they are ALWAYS itchy. He has NO rash indicating athlete’s foot or jock itch (which was my immediate suspicion). His feet are now irritated (under the sole between the ball and toes), but it still does not look like athlete’s foot. When I ask him about the itchiness, he says he’s always itchy and it’s all over, not just the feet the penis, but they are the worse.

5. We do eat dairy, but not much. He does not drink milk, but eats Stonyfield Farm yogurt each morning and cheese on occasion.

6. They do have sugar, but mostly in the form of natural sugar. Sweets are kept at a very minimum.

7. His behavior is extremely challenging. He is defiant and verbally and physically abusive towards me

8. He is very sensitive to temperature…refuses to wear a coat or will only use cold water to wash his hands. He HATES washing his hands.

Any advice, information and/or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated…I am having such a hard time. Thank you SO MUCH in advance!
Melis

~Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 02-14-2008, 06:36 PM

The only time i reacted to a food was Mangoes, and they really just made me itch all over. No redness, no swelling, rashes, etc. Just horrible aweful itching. Benadryl helped and now I just stay away from manoges or anything with mangoes. Which is sad, because they're tasty!

Sorry I can't help more. Just wanted to share that I have a food allergy with a similar symptom.

~Julia
#3 of 10 Old 02-14-2008, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

I am leaning toward a food allergy because he says he is ALWAYS itchy and he has NO RASH. I have not introduced any new foods or detergents, soaps, etc. We have had cats since he was born. It is dry here in New England, but his skin is not dry and I do run a humidifier on occassion at night. I accommodate him as far as what is comfortable for clothing, his food preferences (for the most part), etc...Although I LOVE bathtime and the smell of freshly bathed children, we do not do baths every night because I do notice it causes dryness.

Oh, and one last thing...I do give him FloraBear probiotics each day...He's taken probiotics forever...

Thanks again for any thoughts!

~Melissa

#4 of 10 Old 02-14-2008, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My niece has a food allergy (actual positive skin test kind of allergy) to white potatoes which makes her itch all over. My SIL lets her have it anyway.

If it were me, I'd do an elimination diet. I lean toward dairy for behavior type issues but that's probably because ds has tantrums and cries a lot when he had dairy (there was a thread not too long ago that was about dairy and behavior issues). Make sure you leave enough time between each new food to account for delayed reactions. Your DS may have allergies (that cause the itching) and intolerances (which cause the behavior issues), so list all the symptoms/reactions that you want to track, and all the food (down to ingredients) that he eats each day. My DS (7) wets the bed when he has dairy. Food intolerances can cause many things that you don't even realize are related. But the only way to track for sure is elimination diet (though you could get scratch testing to determine the cause of the itching).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#5 of 10 Old 02-14-2008, 07:47 PM

Does an antihistamine help? Did you try an antifungal? I would hate to go through weeks of an elimination diet if allergies is not the problem. And with allergies, it could be anything from food to indoor air quality issues.

*No* rash anywhere? *No* dry skin at all? Have you tried moisturizing anyway just to see if it helps? Is it better or worse at different times of day? Does it interrupt his sleep at all? Sensitivity to heat makes me think eczema, though that could be related to allergies as well. Are there any other physical symptoms at all... jaundice, maybe symptoms of low blood sugar, etc?

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#6 of 10 Old 02-14-2008, 08:27 PM

The behavior issues would make me suspect dairy and gluten. The feet and penis itching would point to yeast. There is a huge overlap between people with yeast and people with food allergies (which makes sense, since they both have to do with the gut). I don't know what's in FloraBear, but perhaps he needs a stronger probiotic. And with yeast, cutting out gluten and wheat should make a huge difference.
#7 of 10 Old 02-15-2008, 02:25 AM

Mentioned: 501 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
My niece has a food allergy (actual positive skin test kind of allergy) to white potatoes which makes her itch all over. My SIL lets her have it anyway.
I had a HORRIBLE reaction when I pulled some braches off of my tomato plants last summer, I have never itched so bad in my life. I just finished allergy testing & reacted to tomatoes, potatoes & green peppers with tomatoes being my strongest allergen. I'm sure I would have reacted to eggplant too - the whole nightshade family is common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92
I lean toward dairy for behavior type issues but that's probably because ds has tantrums and cries a lot when he had dairy (there was a thread not too long ago that was about dairy and behavior issues).
Dd2 has behavior issues when she eats any kind of dairy. Tanturms & just being plain ornery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
The behavior issues would make me suspect dairy and gluten.
Yep.

I had/have the horribe itchiness too, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. It was going pretty good & then I went out for Thai food last night. I don't know if it was something that I ate or the few glasses of wine I drank, but mid-way through the meal, my upper arms started itching again - that's where I always get the itchies, on my upper arms - I've scratched myself bloody at night. Oh, and I almost always only itch at night - weird, huh?

Mama
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to Girl 2/00, Girl 1/03, Boy 3/06, Boy 11/10, and Girl! 7/15!
#8 of 10 Old 02-15-2008, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your replies, mamas!

I'm going to eliminate dairy and see how it goes. I really appreciate your responses!

Have a great weekend!
Melissa

~Melissa
#9 of 10 Old 05-25-2018, 11:46 PM

Melissa, are you still around to discuss?? Please! My son has same symptoms to the "T".
#10 of 10 Old 09-07-2018, 02:41 PM

A lot of really useful tips, but now there are more problems of allergic problems caused by just other factors. We've already checked a lot, but we still have to deal with this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page