When to introduce dairy products to child with sibling who had dairy allergies??? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 03-31-2008, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Our doctor is pretty useless when it comes to these types of questions. DS1 was allergic to dairy till he was 11 months old. DS2 is almost 9 months old. I would love to start giving him cheese and yogurt, but I am worried because of the family history of dairy allergy. DS1 was allergic to cow's milk protein in my breastmilk. I had to cut it out of my diet completely and then he was fine. DS2 is also exclusively BF and has shown no allergies (yet). I have no intention of giving DS2 cow's milk, but would like to give him dairy products. What do you think? Should I wait the recommended one year for dairy?? We are doing baby led weaning/self feeding and just looking to expand DS's diet options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 03-31-2008, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I guess I don't understand this statement: "I have no intention of giving DS2 cow's milk, but would like to give him dairy products." Dairy products ARE cow's milk. What's the difference?

My DS was intolerant to milk in my breastmilk, but not soy, which he was intolerant to when he ingested it. Then DD2 came along, and she didn't react to anything in my breastmilk so I thought she was fine, until we started solids... and she started reacting to everything. I guess I'd say if you already have one that showed food intolerance, I'd just make sure that I was waiting 4 days between each food introduction and keeping a notebook or journal detailing everything, in case there's a reaction. And remember that the reaction might not be the same as your first child.

K

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#3 of 5 Old 03-31-2008, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
I guess I don't understand this statement: "I have no intention of giving DS2 cow's milk, but would like to give him dairy products." Dairy products ARE cow's milk. What's the difference?

K
\

Sorry, I meant I am not going to be giving him the actual milk to drink, but wondered if he could start on things made from dairy ie cheese and yogurt.

I guess I am wondering if introducing dairy too soon (before the recommended one year) might cause him to develop an allergy to dairy that he may never develop if I just patiently wait for him to get older.

#4 of 5 Old 03-31-2008, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think Kathy's point was that even though yogurt and cheese are lower down on the allergy scale they are still milk products and if a child is going to react to milk they will react to these products. I think the main point is just to be clear what choice you are making. There is really no difference if you choose to give milk or cheese - they are basically the same thing. If it were me I would definately wait until a year to introduce dairy - at least. Just my opinion...

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
#5 of 5 Old 03-31-2008, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaMary View Post
I think Kathy's point was that even though yogurt and cheese are lower down on the allergy scale they are still milk products and if a child is going to react to milk they will react to these products. I think the main point is just to be clear what choice you are making. There is really no difference if you choose to give milk or cheese - they are basically the same thing. If it were me I would definately wait until a year to introduce dairy - at least. Just my opinion...
That's what I thought I should do too....thanks for the advice! Guess it's something to look forward too as I am sure he will love it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page