Natural Remedies to Seasonal Allergies - Mothering Forums

#1 of 14 Old 03-31-2008, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Both my DDs suffer from seasonal and environmental allergies. We live in Phoenix which has dust, pollens, and pollution that lingers due to living in the valley part of the state. DD1 has been on singulair for two years and DD2 now 14months could soon be going on it. After the latest report, I would really like to wean DD1 off of it and see if I notice a difference and look for another option for them. I worry becuase DD2 has had 3 ear infections already, so she really does need something to help her. Thanks for any advice.

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 04-03-2008, 04:27 PM

DH has sesonal allergies & he uses homeopathic sprays & nettle. But mostly he just suffers through it. DS2 has it too & nothing I'm trying seems to work, but it's so hard to tell because somedays are just naturally better than others & the symtoms seem to keep changing. I came here to ask the same question to see what else I can try for DS (18 mo) I really don't trust drs & don't want to take him if I can treat it myself. But I know that Drs are there for a reason & if I need to take him I will. I am just confused...

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#3 of 14 Old 04-03-2008, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
All 3 of my kids are on Zyrtec and do great on it. It's not natural but it's a step down from Singulair at least. None of my kids have any drowsiness from it. My two younger ones (3 and 6) take the liquid form and my 10 yo takes the pill form. No side effects at all.
K

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)

#4 of 14 Old 04-18-2008, 12:33 PM

Thought I'd revive this thread with a few herbal remedies. I make my 19 month dd tea from cleaver and nettle and freeze them into "popsicles". (Nettles are great a great anti-histamine. Some take it daily to help with seasonal allergies, I find that they work when my dd get an allergic rash too. Cleavers are good for your lymph system. It is good support herb for your immune system.)

Also Wishgarden herbs sells an herbal tincture for children (they also have wonderful tincuntures to use during pregancy and nursing too). Here is their website:
http://www.wishgardenherbs.com/index...f%20for%20Kids
#5 of 14 Old 04-18-2008, 12:38 PM

We use a homeopathic combination in a medicine called Sabadil. It works for all of us. We live in the mountains and mostly get spring and fall allergies. Good Luck.

Wife to James mom to dd(1999) ds1(2001)and ds2(7/08)
: * : * * : * * :
#6 of 14 Old 04-25-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaoma View Post
Thought I'd revive this thread with a few herbal remedies. I make my 19 month dd tea from cleaver and nettle and freeze them into "popsicles". (Nettles are great a great anti-histamine. Some take it daily to help with seasonal allergies, I find that they work when my dd get an allergic rash too. Cleavers are good for your lymph system. It is good support herb for your immune system.)

Also Wishgarden herbs sells an herbal tincture for children (they also have wonderful tincuntures to use during pregancy and nursing too). Here is their website:
http://www.wishgardenherbs.com/index...f%20for%20Kids
Thanks for the ideas and the link! I just ordered some of their herbal antihistamine stuff for children and bookmarked the website.

so many roads to ease my soul...

#7 of 14 Old 04-25-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamama View Post
Thanks for the ideas and the link! I just ordered some of their herbal antihistamine stuff for children and bookmarked the website.
Hope the tinctures work out for your lo.
#8 of 14 Old 04-30-2008, 04:43 AM

My DD started using a neti pot at about 8 years. A more calm and rational child could surely do it earlier.
#9 of 14 Old 05-01-2008, 04:34 PM

Both ds and I use a combination of quercetin and Vitamin C. Vitamin C is a natural anti-inflamatory and with the added quercetin, you get a natural anti-histamine effect.

http://nutrition.about.com/od/phytoc...etinprofil.htm

We give ds a liquid form (mixed with lemonaide or juice because it tastes like lemon juice straight,) and I take a capsule. DS used to be on Zyrtec, but we've found it isn't necessary now. I used to get bad sinus headaches, but those have greatly diminished since we started the quercetin / vit. C combo almost a year ago.

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

#10 of 14 Old 05-02-2008, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLoo View Post
Both ds and I use a combination of quercetin and Vitamin C. Vitamin C is a natural anti-inflamatory and with the added quercetin, you get a natural anti-histamine effect.

http://nutrition.about.com/od/phytoc...etinprofil.htm

We give ds a liquid form (mixed with lemonaide or juice because it tastes like lemon juice straight,) and I take a capsule. DS used to be on Zyrtec, but we've found it isn't necessary now. I used to get bad sinus headaches, but those have greatly diminished since we started the quercetin / vit. C combo almost a year ago.
What dosage do you use? I'm dreading the coming allergy season.

Cindycaffix.gif, wife to soapbox.gif, mama to DD1 (4/97)lol.gif, DD2 (3/99)bouncy.gif, DS (4/03)biggrinbounce.gif, and DD3 (6/07)energy.gif, 3 cat.gif, and 10 chicken3.gif.

#11 of 14 Old 05-02-2008, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springbabes View Post
What dosage do you use? I'm dreading the coming allergy season.
The adult dosage is for 2 tablespoons of the liquid form (I use NSI Liquid Vitamin C with Quercetin,) so I give a little less than 1 tablespoon for ds mixed in juice or lemonaide. It's pretty acidic, so I always make sure that he's eaten something before he takes it to avoid stomach issues.

The capsules that I take, the dosage is 2 capsules/day. Most often I only take one, but if I feel something coming on out of the ordinary I'll take one in the morning and another in the afternoon.

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

#12 of 14 Old 05-16-2008, 01:15 AM

Thanks! This is really helpful! DS is having a hard go of it lately...

~Kiyomi~ Unschooling mom to one very chatty, very amazing 7 year old bundle of boy
#13 of 14 Old 05-23-2008, 07:27 AM

have you tried this yet???

Ds#2 and i are taking childrens claritan everyday - we go through like a bottle a week! Id love to do something else. I use to take a herbal allergy med (cant remember the name??) before I became pregnant.

the Vit C/Quercitin liquid is very interesting to me......

Rachel: Jesus-loving, homeschooling mom to Noah (8), Caleb (6), Jayna (4), Abram (2) and Faith (8/10) candle.gif. Married 10 years to a wonderful man who puts up with all my researching and weird food
#14 of 14 Old 05-24-2008, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
All 3 of my kids are on Zyrtec and do great on it. It's not natural but it's a step down from Singulair at least. None of my kids have any drowsiness from it. My two younger ones (3 and 6) take the liquid form and my 10 yo takes the pill form. No side effects at all.
K
Three of my DD's & I take Zyrtec. One takes benadryl, & DH only takes something when he really needs it. Of all the people in the house, he's the one that gets drowsy from it!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page