Mothering Forum banner

Could it be my enzymes??

458 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  nalo 
#1 ·
If you've seen my thread in H&H- you know that I have been SUPER sick for 2 weeks. My body can't seem to tolerate anything except bland, white food. I'm desperately trying to figure out what could be causing it... My blood test showed an elevated Eos, so it's possibly an allergic reaction, but to what...? My diet hasn't changed at all recently.

Is it possible for me to be allergic to my "hypoallergenic" enzymes?? It seems weird, because I've been taking them for just over a month, and seemed fine with them, and have been taking them with meals throughout this whole thing thinking that it would help my body process the food better. BUT- the last 2 days, I haven't been taking them. And I've actually been able to eat a little. Same foods that my body was rejecting 3 days ago, but without the enzymes... and no stomach pains or diarrhea!

I'm using the Kirkman Multi-Enzyme Formula. I'm a bit ignorant about enzymes except the basic idea of how they work, so sorry if this is a DUH question.

See less See more
#2 ·
The only enzymes I've ever used are Enzymedica (well, I bought Houston's but there were too many to take, so I never really used them). When I first started reading about enzymes a lot of people mentioned having reactions to papain (papaya) and bromelain (pineapple). I'm no sure if it's a straight allergy thing or just a food chemical sensitivity, but supposedly they're supposed to be less reactive. The Enzymedica Digest Gold are free of both of those, so they might be worth a try. Maybe just stay off your enzymes altogether for a while and see if you continue to feel better?? Have you looked at enzymestuff.com to see if there is any information about your problem?

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
Have you looked at enzymestuff.com to see if there is any information about your problem?
Yeah, I checked that out- and stomach ache & bowel issues can be normal reactions, but that's right when you're starting them. I think it would be weird for me to be reacting a month into taking them....

And pineapple and papaya are 2 of the few fruits that we both tested negative to on the ELISA..... and have eaten pineapple with no reaction.

I'm planning to stay off them for a while, but am really nervous about starting them again! I don't think I've ever been as sick as I have this past 2 weeks... I don't want to repeat any of that.

#6 ·
damn damn damn.

I really don't care about taking a different kind, except that we have spent SO much money on supplements and groceries and stuff these past few months..... and the Kirkman ones I was taking were relatively cheap. oh well.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ellasmama2007 View Post
sorry, mama... I hope you feel better! allergies/intolerances are so frustrating and it's hard to even know if it is related or not. which end is up?! best wishes
Thanks!! It is frustrating...

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoulaMary View Post
Geez! I think you and DD need to get a time machine, go back about a year and get a fresh start. Your situation is too much!!! Big hugs.
No shit!! (Sorry for my potty mouth....)

I start school in TWO days!! I just don't even know how I'm going to do it. Luckily, today I am feeling quite a bit better than I have been. Hopefully this trend continues and I can start eating normally again.
:

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
No shit!! (Sorry for my potty mouth....)

I start school in TWO days!! I just don't even know how I'm going to do it. Luckily, today I am feeling quite a bit better than I have been. Hopefully this trend continues and I can start eating normally again.
:
OMG! I can't imagine starting school right now and my DD is slightly older than yours and we're both healthy now! Much props to you, my dear. Hope all goes well and you continue to feel better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.