My research: CSS - c-section syndrome (causing allergies) - Page 12 - Mothering Forums

#331 of 1043 Old 10-22-2008, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calm View Post
K! Osteopenia? Nail, head, bang. Acid.

Acid

Acid

Acid acid acid.

Ok, now that I've said that.... (sleep deprived, going a little bonkers today) I know I've mentioned acid and pH to you several times, but now I'm going to push the issue because of the osteopenia. I think you'd get big relief from alkalising.
How do I do this? And is there any way to measure where I am now? And then see how I'm doing?

Quote:
Oh, quickly, Changingseasons, everyone's symptoms of yeast going fungal, or overgrowing, are different. Some experience skin issues, some get mucosal issues (vaginal thrush, oral thrush), some get localised infections, some get systemic dis-ease (MS, diabetes, etc). Some are related to the gut damage done by yeast and other gut wreckers, some are straight out yeast infestation symptoms. My daughter has a rash that comes and goes on her butt cheeks, she's six so it's not diaper rash. When this flares, I know her internal yeast is flaring. My son gets a rash under his armpit that smells like toenail stink (when you clean under your toenails). I have used antifungals to treat them, but both respond well to lavender oil so I use that.
What does this rash look like? My DD keeps getting a pimple like rash on her butt and the doctor keeps saying it's folliculitis but it just doesn't make sense. Abx clears it up, and then she goes off it and 2 weeks later it comes back. Could it be yeast? My gut says it's a new food intolerance but I can't figure out what food is causing it. Don't tell me it's yeast....

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#332 of 1043 Old 10-22-2008, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
I'd love pointers to receipes as well.

So to figure out where to buy superfoods do I just google superfoods? Are the 3 you listed the biggies? Or are there others?
I want to know more about super foods as well. I have seen so many people and sources talk about so many different ones it is hard to follow.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#333 of 1043 Old 10-22-2008, 08:06 PM

okay, okay, I did a little work. I can't wait to see the Visa bill this month. I ordered my pH test strips and some UTI test strips for when I go off the abx (later). So it said that the melon family and lemons (among others) are alkalizing. But for the yeast-free diet, I went off all fruits (day 3 and I caught a horrible cold -- the sinus pressure is unbelievable and nothing is helping, though DS's cold, after only 3 days seems to be abating, so maybe it won't last very long). So is it okay to go on the alkalizing fruits? I just cut up a watermelon with dinner for the kids and my mouth was watering, but I didn't have any. Can I have it, huh, can I? can I? Gosh, I sound ridiculous!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#334 of 1043 Old 10-22-2008, 08:08 PM

yeah, there are ALOT. Too many to name!

I will dig and find some of my favorite recipes and post them. I love www.sunfoodnutrition.com for my superfoods because I feel like Wolfe has alot of integrity. I do trust him.
#335 of 1043 Old 10-22-2008, 08:09 PM

http://www.sunfood.com/Categories/1/Superfoods/73.aspx

there ya go. This is a start but as I said there are LOTS more.
#336 of 1043 Old 10-22-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Oh, quickly, Changingseasons, everyone's symptoms of yeast going fungal, or overgrowing, are different. Some experience skin issues, some get mucosal issues (vaginal thrush, oral thrush), some get localised infections, some get systemic dis-ease (MS, diabetes, etc). Some are related to the gut damage done by yeast and other gut wreckers, some are straight out yeast infestation symptoms. My daughter has a rash that comes and goes on her butt cheeks, she's six so it's not diaper rash. When this flares, I know her internal yeast is flaring. My son gets a rash under his armpit that smells like toenail stink (when you clean under your toenails). I have used antifungals to treat them, but both respond well to lavender oil so I use that.
Ok- so do I assume that the kombucha is making my yeast flare, and I should stop drinking it?? Do I assume that my water kefir will do the same thing and not even bother with that (I just started brewing some grains)?

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#337 of 1043 Old 10-23-2008, 04:39 PM

Um... Oxygen Elements tastes disgusting. Should I put it in something else besides water (what if I'm not doing dairy and am not doing juice because of the anti-yeast diet)? I did 7 drops in 6 oz. water like it said on the bottle. Ick. I got that today, and my Candex and L. Rhamnosus. I'm starting the HEALING!!

#338 of 1043 Old 10-23-2008, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
I looked at a bunch of them, and this is what I'm doing:
AVOID: sugar, fruit, yeast, gluten, vinegar, mushrooms, peanuts, alcohol, soda, cheese, processed meats, dairy

I was already avoiding gluten, yeast, mushrooms, cheese, processed meats, dairy, so I'm just adding sugar, fruit, alcohol, and soda, which is all the sugars. I am a sugar addict from way back, so it'll do me good to do this at any rate. And I'm pretty stubborn, so I can stick to it for the 4 months that I'm planning. Vinegar doesn't seem that hard to avoid so far.
Tell us how you go with the extra diet changes in a couple of weeks.

Quote:
What, falling on my butt, getting pneumonia, a colonoscopy, a zillion UTIs, and my gallbladder out? Nah. I've had worse years.... haven't I?
But seriously, I thought I'd had some bad years... : (pretend you're the tree)

Quote:
Levoxyl is what I'm gaking for thyroid.
How long have you been on this? These are the side effects:
Quote:
Symptoms of overstimulation:
Abdominal cramps, anxiety, changes in appetite, change in menstrual periods, chest pain, diarrhea, emotional instability, fatigue, fever, flushing, hair loss, headache, heart attack or failure, heat intolerance, hyperactivity, increased heart rate, irregular heartbeat, irritability, muscle weakness, nausea, nervousness, palpitations, shortness of breath, sleeplessness, sweating, tremors, vomiting, weight loss...

If you have diabetes, or if your body makes insufficient adrenal corticosteroid hormone, Synthroid will tend to make your symptoms worse....

Postmenopausal women on long-term Synthroid therapy may suffer a loss of bone density, increasing the danger of osteoporosis (brittle bones).
http://www.drugs.com/pdr/levoxyl.html

bold mine to draw attention to the cortico issue.

I assume you're not postmenopausal (?), however, it would still be an issue for premenopausal women. Why did they put you on that? Was it due to the first result, which was less than 2? Or just the goitre? Do you only have TSH results, or more specific thyroid results, cos if you do, I can show you some more interesting tidbits regarding thyroid. Your first result in '07: 1.43, is completely normal, like, superwoman normal. And the one this year at 2.6 is definitely going outside of the range I'd like to see it at - but even so, isn't enough to stimulate your thyroid for, not synthetically. Can you tell me more about this, as the catch phrase on that drug's website is "start on levoxyl, stay on levoxyl", it is a "drug for life".

Does Your Doctor Know About the New TSH Lab Standards?is this why?

The results of your questionnaire showed you are adrenal dominant, quite a bit compared to thyroid. Perhaps you should go more for adrenal glandulars instead of thyroid glandulars. I'll have to think more about your case. I'm rushing again today.

Quote:
It's funny. When I was pregnant with DD2, I wanted sushi ALL THE TIME. The vegetable ones (avocado, carrot, cucumber) not the raw fish, and for some reason I figured it was the seaweed that I wanted. I live in CT, 20 minutes from the sea. We eat salmon once every four days, and also haddock, catfish, and scallops (though not as often). I'm a Leo, but I've never felt like a leo....
Us fire signs have gotta watch for burnout. We boil water. But, you do have a lot of sea in and around you, so I'm not sure what is going on with the "sea" feeling I have for you. Other than that perhaps it isn't assimilating, not the nutrients nor the water. You are retaining water often, this is a kidney sign but you know that... Hmm, I think we need to address your kidneys before your liver. But definitely alkalise first to take the pressure off... you may even have small stones in your kidneys due to acidity... we'll get to that soon.

Quote:
We have well water, and we live on a mountain. In the summertime we have an awesome filter on our water. And I drink lots of water and rooibas tea.
Beautiful stuff. Watch for clostridia (well water and clostridia are good mates), and filter your water and restructure it in the freezer.

Quote:
DS and DD2 are milk intolerant so we tend to avoid ALL dairy anything.
I know the feeling. Not worth the risk. Ditto.

Quote:
The trouble I have falling asleep is because my brain won't stop.
Your hormones and neurtransmitters are all over the shop. I will have a test for you shortly for neuro's.
Quote:
I took the test. I have 18 under Adrenal, 6 under thyroid, 12 under mixed, and 10 that were nothings.
I was on Adrenal Support stuff for 4 months with the Naturopath and it did nothing for me.
She also tried 3 different homeopathic remedies on me.
And craniosacral therapy.
None of it did anything for me (though some of the cranial work made me feel like I was run over by a truck).
With all due respect to the practitioner, I believe they were approaching this from the wrong angle. Homeopathy btw, is a great modality, but it must must must be classical and from a highly experienced, well recommended homeopath - a person that is so goddamned rare as to be impossible to get a hold of. As you get ONE remedy, it must be the right one or the patient/client gets frustrated. But if you hit the right remedy, it's nothing short of a miracle.

Gotta run but I'll get to the next post soon

Hunger is political.  Wherever there is widespread hunger, it is because people with guns are preventing other people from bringing in food.  
#339 of 1043 Old 10-23-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
How long have you been on this? These are the side effects:
http://www.drugs.com/pdr/levoxyl.html
I've only been on the thyroid meds for 3 weeks. I haven't felt any side effects. I'm only on 25 mg. The doctor said it was a tiny dose and it probably wouldn't affect me. She said she was doing it to stop the nodules from getting bigger and to see if any of my possibly thyroid symptoms went away.

Quote:
I assume you're not postmenopausal (?), however, it would still be an issue for premenopausal women. Why did they put you on that? Was it due to the first result, which was less than 2? Or just the goitre? Do you only have TSH results, or more specific thyroid results, cos if you do, I can show you some more interesting tidbits regarding thyroid. Your first result in '07: 1.43, is completely normal, like, superwoman normal. And the one this year at 2.6 is definitely going outside of the range I'd like to see it at - but even so, isn't enough to stimulate your thyroid for, not synthetically. Can you tell me more about this, as the catch phrase on that drug's website is "start on levoxyl, stay on levoxyl", it is a "drug for life".
I am not postmenopausal. My mother supposedly didn't have menopause until age 60 (she said she looked in the mirror one day and said "I'm too old for this" and never had another period -- that's what she told me when I asked her the age she went into menopause, because I was curious for my own medical knowledge - oy)

Quote:
The results of your questionnaire showed you are adrenal dominant, quite a bit compared to thyroid. Perhaps you should go more for adrenal glandulars instead of thyroid glandulars. I'll have to think more about your case. I'm rushing again today.
You're so nice to even be figuring out any of this for me. You've given me more time and wanted to know more details then most of the practitioners I've seen! Thank you!

Quote:
Us fire signs have gotta watch for burnout. We boil water. But, you do have a lot of sea in and around you, so I'm not sure what is going on with the "sea" feeling I have for you. Other than that perhaps it isn't assimilating, not the nutrients nor the water. You are retaining water often, this is a kidney sign but you know that... Hmm, I think we need to address your kidneys before your liver. But definitely alkalise first to take the pressure off... you may even have small stones in your kidneys due to acidity... we'll get to that soon.
I didn't have any stones in my kidneys when they did the CT scan, though my father and brother have both had kidney stones. I don't "retain water" in the classic sense, though when I have a UTI, I get bloated and have retention. Some of the things that were alkalizing (watermelon, lemon, etc) are fruits, which it says not to have on the anti-candida diet though. Do I focus more on the alkalizing, and less on the fruit (but avoid sugars/alcohols)?

Quote:
Your hormones and neurtransmitters are all over the shop. I will have a test for you shortly for neuro's.
With all due respect to the practitioner, I believe they were approaching this from the wrong angle. Homeopathy btw, is a great modality, but it must must must be classical and from a highly experienced, well recommended homeopath - a person that is so goddamned rare as to be impossible to get a hold of. As you get ONE remedy, it must be the right one or the patient/client gets frustrated. But if you hit the right remedy, it's nothing short of a miracle.
The Travacor (which is neurotransmitter support) does help on normal nights. But when DH is on nightshift and all my anxieties increase (this isn't related, but I was molested as a child, and so I feel unsafe home alone at night so when DH is on nightshift, I take tylenol PM to help me get to sleep -- once I am asleep, I stay asleep, thanks to the Travacor). I need to find a homeopath. The naturopath did muscle testing to find the homeopathic treatment, and when she looked at which one was chosen, she said it didn't make sense with what she knew about me. After about a month, she switched me to another, which also didn't do anything (not sure if I can find out what they are - I chucked them). I don't even know how to find a good one in the state.

Got to go tuck everyone into bed. Thank you for all your help. Really!

#340 of 1043 Old 10-23-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
I don't even know how to find a good one in the state.
Yes you do! You have the former president of the national center of homeopathy 8 years running in your home state. I think he's probably worth something. He's been in practice for around 20 years as a classical homeopath, but also holds a license as a surgeon and in general medicine.
#341 of 1043 Old 10-24-2008, 09:13 AM

I have a question if anyone could be kind enough to answer. Both dh and I have yeast issues, massive ones. Dh didn't have any problems until we got married and I then got a yeast rash very shortly afterward(we have been married over 9 yrs now). It is all over his groin area. It goes away w/ the antifungals etc, but always comes back. It goes away w/ the candida diet, but has obviously came back. I never had the outward rash until I went off of dairy and then accidently had some one day- now I have the same rash and it won't go away. I am trying to ease back onto the candida diet (cold turkey I have found turns me crazy- literally- ). However, I am wondering is it worth it for me to do if he isn't doing anything to get rid of it himself right now. He is currently totally addicted to the Mt. Dew for the caffeine and sugar. he doesn't drink it at home, but hhas 2-3 at work 5-6 days a week.

Also, if we get that nystatin overseas is that illegal? Dh thought it would be and I would rather not be illegally smuggling drugs

One more question if I go to the dr to get something for the rash etc how do I make sure I get the nystatin and she doesn't try to prescribe the difulcan. I thought I would just tell her that I react to it, but if she presses me I don't know how I would answer. Also, I am wondering what exactly to tell the dr- to make them think that I need it. I am going to a mainstream dr- dh's work clinic is only $5- so they aren't going to want to hear about any yeast overgrowth business. I am feeling a yeast infection coming on as well, but I would rather they stay out of my privates if possible.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#342 of 1043 Old 10-24-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
Yes you do! You have the former president of the national center of homeopathy 8 years running in your home state. I think he's probably worth something. He's been in practice for around 20 years as a classical homeopath, but also holds a license as a surgeon and in general medicine.
Name? Is this the one that's kind of far away from me that I almost went to before, and then went to the naturopath my half-brother recommended instead? ARGH.

#343 of 1043 Old 10-24-2008, 10:09 AM

probably-he's far from everyone. I'll pm you the name.
#344 of 1043 Old 10-24-2008, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
But when DH is on nightshift and all my anxieties increase (this isn't related, but I was molested as a child, and so I feel unsafe home alone at night so when DH is on nightshift, I take tylenol PM to help me get to sleep -- once I am asleep, I stay asleep, thanks to the Travacor). I need to find a homeopath.
I'm following along, but the thyroid and adrenals are not my area of knowledge. However, I wanted to mention that childhood emotional traumas are not unrelated at all!

Our homeopath does a three hour consultation, which involves emotional history, physiological symptoms, diseases, surgeries, coping tools, sleep history, allergens, medical interventions, etc. etc. The classical homeopathy addresses all of these combined.

Homeopathy heals those wounds of the past, ime.

Pat

I have a blog.
#345 of 1043 Old 10-24-2008, 09:47 PM

Here's a basic yeast question: if it's NOT yeast, do you get any reaction from all the stuff (yeast-free diet 5 days, Oxygen Elements, Candex, and Natren Healthy Trinity with L. Rhamnosus 2 days, still waiting for Threelac)? Or does it mean that it's still possible but I'm just not doing enough? From people's comments, I thought there would be these massive "die-off" symptoms, and I've felt nothing. So I'm wondering if it's just firmly entrenched and the Threelac will do more, or if it wasn't really yeast in the first place?

I'm also working on the alkalyzing (made the lemonade that was recommended on one site), and my back actually feels pretty good tonight. I thought everything would hurt worse. And that I'd be having stomach issues and all sorts of stuff.

I have 9 days of abx left and I'm wondering if I should get another refill, or take the plunge. I've been on it 10 months straight this time.

#346 of 1043 Old 10-24-2008, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

I still owe replies from before... but... I wouldn't bother avoiding yeast. If by yeast you mean the yeast in bread and whatnot. Cos it's dead. It's also a different yeast. If it makes the diet any easier. Gluten feeds yeast, I'd go off that more than I'd bother with yeast.

The only thing on your list I've ever taken is ox elements. (also L Rham but that isn't officially a yeast killer). Ox gives me the runs occasionally. But only nystatin or threelac ever gave me die off, with nystatin being the worst, and my first week on threelac wasn't good either. I've heard about enzymes (which are also in ox elements) actually helping with die off symptoms, as they clean up the mess as well.

Re alkalizing, drink lemon juice freely, don't worry about it being a fruit feeding yeast. The benefit it will give you will actually help kill off the yeast. Alkalising will paradoxically help turn your colon more acidic which will help kill off yeast and bad bacteria (if you have any of those left). Just as important as adding more alk foods you need to remove acid foods. If you have too much acid ash to neutralise, it will use up all your good alk work, so go easy on the meats (fish at most) and grains. Go crazy nuts wild berko on veggies, esp greens (asparagus is known as acid forming but don't get too nit picky about those things, for your own sake, cos life is to be lived after all). We eat more protein than a human body was ever meant to consume (even on the food charts, it is way too high an amount) so taking that pressure off your kidneys will also do you a favor.

Take in lemons and the odd grapefruit and we still have to do a few acid tests. Did you happen to do that one with the two days of junk diet urine test? There's another one, testing saliva. There can be a need to acidify the saliva and alkalize the urine, (or vice versa) and there are things you can do that target those things specifically.

Not enough time in a day ...

Hunger is political.  Wherever there is widespread hunger, it is because people with guns are preventing other people from bringing in food.  
#347 of 1043 Old 10-25-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I still owe replies from before... but... I wouldn't bother avoiding yeast. If by yeast you mean the yeast in bread and whatnot. Cos it's dead. It's also a different yeast. If it makes the diet any easier. Gluten feeds yeast, I'd go off that more than I'd bother with yeast.
When I say the no-yeast diet, I guess I mean the anti-yeast diet (no sugars, no fruit, plus no gluten, no dairy which I was already doing). I'm not that big a meat eater anyway, though I do like my bone broths (and I'm in the middle of a cold so I've increased my chicken broth intake, though I don't have any meat in it).

Quote:
The only thing on your list I've ever taken is ox elements. (also L Rham but that isn't officially a yeast killer). Ox gives me the runs occasionally. But only nystatin or threelac ever gave me die off, with nystatin being the worst, and my first week on threelac wasn't good either. I've heard about enzymes (which are also in ox elements) actually helping with die off symptoms, as they clean up the mess as well.
I was wrong about the Natren Healthy Trinity. I bought it thinking it had L. Rhamnosis in it, but it doesn't. So I guess it's just another probiotic. I had also increased the yogurt and sauerkraut. Is there something about not doing enzymes and probiotics at the same time, or is that fine? So far, I feel good (except for this horrible cold).

Quote:
Re alkalizing, drink lemon juice freely, don't worry about it being a fruit feeding yeast. The benefit it will give you will actually help kill off the yeast. Alkalising will paradoxically help turn your colon more acidic which will help kill off yeast and bad bacteria (if you have any of those left). Just as important as adding more alk foods you need to remove acid foods. If you have too much acid ash to neutralise, it will use up all your good alk work, so go easy on the meats (fish at most) and grains. Go crazy nuts wild berko on veggies, esp greens (asparagus is known as acid forming but don't get too nit picky about those things, for your own sake, cos life is to be lived after all). We eat more protein than a human body was ever meant to consume (even on the food charts, it is way too high an amount) so taking that pressure off your kidneys will also do you a favor.
I'll have to look at the acidifying list of foods then to make sure I'm avoiding those. I didn't get my test strips yet or a bunch of the supplements (like Threelac and Oil of Oregano and Black Walnut/Wormwood). I had just bought some grapefruit, so I'll have one of those today too. I'm not a big fan of greens. I love spinach though we haven't had it since DD tested intolerance to it in June.

I'm still craving sugars though not nearly as much as I was at the beginning of the week. Four months seems like it's going to be hard though, especially with the holidays coming up. Of course if I can't have gluten and dairy and all that because of intolerances, I won't be able to have that kind of holiday fare anyway unless I make it myself!

#348 of 1043 Old 10-25-2008, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

K, at Christmas, blow the whole thing for a day. Dieting on Christmas is evil, pure evil, simple as that. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
I have a question if anyone could be kind enough to answer. Both dh and I have yeast issues, massive ones. Dh didn't have any problems until we got married and I then got a yeast rash very shortly afterward(we have been married over 9 yrs now). It is all over his groin area. It goes away w/ the antifungals etc, but always comes back. It goes away w/ the candida diet, but has obviously came back. I never had the outward rash until I went off of dairy and then accidently had some one day- now I have the same rash and it won't go away. I am trying to ease back onto the candida diet (cold turkey I have found turns me crazy- literally- ). However, I am wondering is it worth it for me to do if he isn't doing anything to get rid of it himself right now. He is currently totally addicted to the Mt. Dew for the caffeine and sugar. he doesn't drink it at home, but hhas 2-3 at work 5-6 days a week.

Also, if we get that nystatin overseas is that illegal? Dh thought it would be and I would rather not be illegally smuggling drugs

One more question if I go to the dr to get something for the rash etc how do I make sure I get the nystatin and she doesn't try to prescribe the difulcan. I thought I would just tell her that I react to it, but if she presses me I don't know how I would answer. Also, I am wondering what exactly to tell the dr- to make them think that I need it. I am going to a mainstream dr- dh's work clinic is only $5- so they aren't going to want to hear about any yeast overgrowth business. I am feeling a yeast infection coming on as well, but I would rather they stay out of my privates if possible.
As the yeast is already in us, from our mouth right through to the other end (it lives on the mucous membranes), it can't really be "caught", as such. It can help it to go fungal, but I wouldn't worry about DH dealing with it, just do it anyway.

I don't know if that is illegal, although I don't think it is. Nystatin itself isn't illegal, so you'll have to find out if buying it in another place is illegal. I know you can get it without a prescription in other countries... but what that means in the US I'm not sure.

Tell the doc that you don't want an antifungal that is absorbed. Nystatin passes straight through, therefore gives no side effects and does not affect the liver. Ask for it by name, and if you can find out what names nystatin products go by. When on nystatin, get at least Saccharomyces boulardii, a yeast probiotic (sometimes found in bacterial probiotics), as it kills yeast indiscriminantly, and there are some yeasts we don't want to kill off.

In a book I have here it explains how to get the nystatin from your doctor... I could find that and print it out for you.

At ANY sign of vaginal thrush, put probiotics into some yoghurt and put it into your vagina. If it still keeps coming, some dilute oil of oregano in there or some garlic usually does the trick.

#349 of 1043 Old 10-25-2008, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Ok- so do I assume that the kombucha is making my yeast flare, and I should stop drinking it?? Do I assume that my water kefir will do the same thing and not even bother with that (I just started brewing some grains)?
It's hard to say. I would imagine they would do nothing, or do good. But if you have a brew that is heavy on candida or something, it is possible. Kombucha is, after all, a fungus. But it is also a wonderful thing. I drink water kefir, when I'm not killing it. I killed a cactus once, by not watering it enough. I underwatered a plant that thrives in the desert. That pretty much sums up my commitment skills.

Sigh.

But I digress... when I'm not killing kefir grains, I'm drinking kefir. :

Trust your gut. If you notice a correlation between anything, including a superfood, miracle cure or highly recommended practitioner and a yeast flare up, experiment a little and test your theory. Make sure the only change you make is the thing you are testing or you can blame that thing and it be another thing you weren't aware of. Like allergies really.

#350 of 1043 Old 10-25-2008, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Questions:

- Is there anything I am doing wrong so far?
- How much kombucha/water kefir should i drink daily?
- I am thinking after reading this thread that I need to add nystatin, pau d'arco, threelac, or something like that. I would like to avoid nystatin because I don't think DD's pediatrician will prescribe it (she wants us to just use homeopathy - we have been doing that for a few months and will keep doing it but I think we need to do something else too).
- Should I give probiotics (or anything else) to DD?
- The Candidase bottle says for best results to take Virastop each time Candidase is taken. Would this be helpful?
- I have been taking the Candidase for almost 2 days and so far only feel thirsty at night and have had a mild headache on and off. Sounds like others had much more extreme reactions. Does this mean I may not have a yeast problem?

Thanks so much for your help! This thread has been really eye opening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waluso View Post
I'm reposting this in hopes I get some responses, but also wanted to make a few additions. My headaches have gotten worse and last night was my first "girls night out" since DD was born and I had some wine. I woke up this morning with a racing heartrate and I can't go back to sleep. I thought the wine if anything would feed the yeast and slow the dieoff, but why would it cause my heartrate to increase?

I was at the hfs yesterday and bought some pau d'arco tea. Is that sufficient as a yeast killer? If so, how much of that should I drink a day? Is that safe for breastfeeding?

I was also thinking of adding milk thistle for liver support. Is that a good idea with the other things I am doing? Is that safe for breastfeeding?

TIA for any advice!
Milk thistle is ok for breastfeeding as far as I know. My naturopath had me on it while pregnant also. It seems you have a lovely, gentle plan there. Keep us informed how it goes.

- Is there anything I am doing wrong so far?

Wrong... no. Everything is very right. There is always more we can do, but we all have to have limits. If you need to stretch a little further, you have many options, discussed on this thread, but see how you go with what you're doing first.

- How much kombucha/water kefir should i drink daily?
My book says a litre of water kefir for most issues or for general health.

- I am thinking after reading this thread that I need to add nystatin, pau d'arco, threelac, or something like that. I would like to avoid nystatin because I don't think DD's pediatrician will prescribe it (she wants us to just use homeopathy - we have been doing that for a few months and will keep doing it but I think we need to do something else too).

I don't like nystatin unless it is pure. I can't get it pure, but apparently you can in the states. threelac worked for us, but it is expensive and controversial. Pau d'arco is gentle, and I noticed gentle die off with it, but I was also on mega garlic doses at the time.

- Should I give probiotics (or anything else) to DD?
Yes. I always agree to probiotics for kids. They should eat lots of dirt as babies, but we've gone hygiene freakish now and they don't even get to get messy anymore. So they need biotic help usually. My son puts everything in his mouth, it's a natural urge, helps them get to know things and helps them colonise their gut. I also help him with probiotics, varying the strains from time to time.

- The Candidase bottle says for best results to take Virastop each time Candidase is taken. Would this be helpful?
I'm not sure about this. Faery?

- I have been taking the Candidase for almost 2 days and so far only feel thirsty at night and have had a mild headache on and off. Sounds like others had much more extreme reactions. Does this mean I may not have a yeast problem?

Two days is rather fast for a reaction, you may get worse yet. Keep up fluids.
Thirsty? Zinc. Anything that triggers thirst, triggers my mind to say zinc. How is your taste sense? Do you like sweet, salty or spicy foods? Taste is also affected when zinc status is low. You can test it with a zinc test, liquid zinc. If it has little or no taste, you need zinc desperately. If it is mediocre in taste, a little unpleasant or fuzzy or takes a while to kick in, you need to supp. If it hits you like WHAM, a big metallic unpleasant taste immediately, you don't need zinc. Eat oysters, best zinc supp there is. 300 times your daily requirement in one tin of smoked oysters (shhh, I didn't really say smoked did I ).

Headache is yeast die off symptom number one. If you have any die off symptoms at all, it usually means you had over growth. If you have none, it doesn't mean you didn't have overgrowth, does that make sense? I know autistic kids, who are usually THE most riddled in the gut with yeast, have THE most horrible die off symptoms. Which leads me to believe that the more yeast, the more die off... BUT, I am guessing based on this. I also know that women with thrush in the mouth or vagina are extremely yeast toxic by that stage (symptomatic yeast is worse), can have little die off reaction when treated systemically.

#351 of 1043 Old 10-25-2008, 09:47 PM

Is there a particular "kind" of zinc? I see Douglas Labs sells a liquid zinc that is Water and Zinc Sulfate Hydrated (as Hepta Hydrate). Is that sufficient?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#352 of 1043 Old 10-25-2008, 11:08 PM

Quote:
It's hard to say. I would imagine they would do nothing, or do good. But if you have a brew that is heavy on candida or something, it is possible. Kombucha is, after all, a fungus. But it is also a wonderful thing. I drink water kefir, when I'm not killing it. I killed a cactus once, by not watering it enough. I underwatered a plant that thrives in the desert. That pretty much sums up my commitment skills.

Sigh.

But I digress... when I'm not killing kefir grains, I'm drinking kefir. :
Seriously- these things are a b!tch to keep alive! I got some kefir grains, but have yet to taste a batch... I think I maimed my grains, and now am trying to get them back to life. And I too have killed a cactus, so maybe kefir making just isn't my thing....

#353 of 1043 Old 10-25-2008, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

The advice I got with potentially dead or infected grains is to "fast" them. So I have them in water in the dark cupboard. I feel kinda like a torturer... poor widdle gwains...

#354 of 1043 Old 10-26-2008, 01:20 AM

Quote:
The advice I got with potentially dead or infected grains is to "fast" them. So I have them in water in the dark cupboard. I feel kinda like a torturer... poor widdle gwains...
(I couldn't find a torturer smilie...)

Interesting- thanks for the tip.

#355 of 1043 Old 10-26-2008, 02:10 AM

Okay, totally new to all of this and didn't have time to read every single reply, I'm just beginning to learn about allergies/yeast... I had 2 natural homebirths with no abx of course. I did have one single dose of an abx during a sinus infection I had while pregnant with dd2but had a reaction so never took anymore. I've never personally had any symptoms of yeast that I know of. Dd1 all of a sudden has an almost constant irritation down there which I guess could be yeast?? Dd2 just started eating some foods and yes they included gluten and dairy and since she began eating them herself (still breastfeeds) she has began sleeping terribly and sometimes has a diaper rash that is hard to completely get rid of. I've never noticed mucous in her poop until she got a cold 2 weeks ago, but her food isn't always digested. Other than that I can't think of anything else that is going on. Does this sound like a yeast problem?? And where do I start, I'm a little overwhelmed by the vast knowledge you all have on this topic. Thanks!!!

Mama to three wonderful girls, H (9-2-04), A (8-23-07), and Q(4-24-11, our Easter baby). Married to D since (6-3-00).

#356 of 1043 Old 10-26-2008, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure that is yeast. Any abx will throw your system out of whack, and our diets often do, and steroids and the bcp and pregnancy itself. But a strong body can rebalance with the right tlc after such a small amount of one of those, without fighting yeast. You sound like a candidate for that, perhaps. Has DD1 ever had abx or corticosteroids (asthma meds, anti-inflams, etc)? Do you have an old house or reason to believe there might be an enviornmental mold problem? It's autumn there, isn't it... do they play in the leaves? Autumn leaves are a great source of mold.

On the diaper rash, try zinc and lavender oil, not together though. (or maybe together, I'm not sure it matters) I've been using nystatin cream on some skin issues to see if it is fungal. If it responds I try other things more natural.

Mucous in the poop is also a viral infection indication. My DS got it wickedly when he had chicken pox at age 2 months (I know, when it rains, it pours).

Your DD's irritation could be yeast, I find my DD gets irritated there occasionally but is often related to her not having bathed in a couple of days, so I haven't treated it directly. I haven't actually treated her for yeast with much gusto at all, I've been focusing on DS. But she is riddled and gets die off at the mere mention of threelac.

Without knowing more, I'd say some fermented foods and probiotics for all of you, eat mostly green veggies and sea veggies (wakame and kombu added to soups is lovely) and drink home juiced juices and make broths and grab a super food or two. My daughter LOVES goji berries. I think they taste like ass. Well, not literally. I just don't like them much and can't believe she does, little Ms Fussy Britches and all. So I let her sit and gorge herself silly on dried goji berries, that is her superfood of choice. She doesn't like chocolate, but if yours does, pure raw organic cacao from Peru is an amazing food that is easy to get into children, just watch the sugar you add. I love making chocolate smoothies with it.

Keep an eye on symptoms after that alkalising and colonising mentioned above to see if it improves.

#357 of 1043 Old 10-26-2008, 02:21 PM

Calm, thank you so much for your reply. I ended up stopping the treatment for a while because my symptoms got much worse and I had to travel for work for a few days and couldn't function well the way I was feeling. And now DD's pediatrician wants me to schedule an appointment with her before taking supplements. So I will talk to her next week and I plan to present this approach to her and see what she says. She is a holistic ped so I think she will be supportive. I am going to go ahead with the kombucha and water kefir though. My water kefir should be ready today. I just really hope it comes out ok!
#358 of 1043 Old 10-26-2008, 02:44 PM

Calm, thank you so much for the reply. I was questioning whether it sounded like yeast or not. Neither dd has allergies/asthma... Dd2 may have intolerances to something which may be the sleeping issue? We're trying to avoid gluten and dairy to see. Dd1 and dd2 both have had one dose of abx last winter for severe sinus/cold which I regret now but they had had the infection for over one month and nothing natural was helping at all. But we did a lot of probiotics afterward, or at least I thought. I bought some probiotics at the health food store and took them myself and dd1 did and we did kefir and yogurt, but maybe that wasn't as good as I thought? And I just remembered that about 8 years ago I had a couple bad vaginal yeast infections that I finally got rid of via monistat or something like that. We've been bathing dd1 every day because of the irritation and used a few natural things on it but nothing works. I read on some thread that you can use adult yeast infection cream on a child if it's the non strong stuff. We may try that just to see if it makes a difference. One more question, what exactly are fermented foods? Thank you!!!

Mama to three wonderful girls, H (9-2-04), A (8-23-07), and Q(4-24-11, our Easter baby). Married to D since (6-3-00).

#359 of 1043 Old 10-26-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Is there a particular "kind" of zinc? I see Douglas Labs sells a liquid zinc that is Water and Zinc Sulfate Hydrated (as Hepta Hydrate). Is that sufficient?
THe taste test ONLY works with zinc sulfate and even then it only works if you aren't metal toxic. Metal toxicity renders the taste test null and void.
#360 of 1043 Old 10-26-2008, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

FF, tell me more about the zinc, I didn't know that. How does it affect the taste, cos most of us are metal toxic simply cos we eat off it, cook with it and basically live intimately with it in every facet of our lives which would render the test null and void for all of us. Most STUPID move humanity made, bringing metal up from the bowels of the earth. We should have left it there where it belongs, metal has no place in the life of any animal. But still we mine. Still we mine.

Idiots.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page