My research: CSS - c-section syndrome (causing allergies) - Page 23 - Mothering Forums

#661 of 1043 Old 11-25-2008, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calm View Post

Pat will be happy to know that we bought some kefir. I want to know if I can culture it in oat milk as successfully as dairy milk.
Well, I did some checking and basically Dom says it is sour, nasty. But, you can do it. The grains won't reproduce though. So, grow a backup batch in milk first.

Basically, any nut or animal milk, except grain milk, makes wonderful kefir.

Pat

I have a blog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#662 of 1043 Old 11-25-2008, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So nut milk is ok?

Hunger is political.  Wherever there is widespread hunger, it is because people with guns are preventing other people from bringing in food.  
#663 of 1043 Old 11-25-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
So nut milk is ok?
Depends on allergy tolerance. Personally, due to ds's many food intolerances, I/we avoided eating any nuts until he was age two, iirc. But, I was a bit neurotic, perhaps. Now, he loves nuts. And peanut butter has never been an issue.

If you decide to do nut butter, I'd suggest making your own with almonds and soaking them first. And only use *organic* nuts.

My recommendation is make coconut milk kefir, with the milk kefir grains. Simple and beneficial. No sugar added, won't reproduce. But, you know it is safe (allergen-wise for you, irrc), would be delicious and nutritious, and no nut risks.

Pat

I have a blog.

#664 of 1043 Old 11-26-2008, 12:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
kjbrown, how are you doing?

Pat
Still UTI free (2 weeks yesterday), though I have a nasty cold at the moment. My Threelac never came, but apparently I never ordered it. So I ordered it a couple days ago from Amazon.com so it should be quick. I've used all my Candex. I'm still doing Oxygen Elements and oil of oregano (I switch off on those). I also have garlic pills that I'm doing when DH works nights (he complained). And I have some Healthy Trinity probiotics that I'm doing as well. I'm off alcohol and fruit (except cranberry), and the only sugar I eat is candied almonds that I made that are really addictive. Is that good enough? I'm also still doing the alkalizing foods. Also, last time I was at the doctor, he put me on Flomax (for men with prostate problems). I don't feel any different (going faster, better, or anything) but is it possible that it's what is keeping the UTI at bay? Or is it my new regimen? And the only way to find out is to go off it....

It's funny that you're talking about food and healing. I've been wanting odd things lately. I want chips and salsa all the time (those are about the only 2 processed foods in the house!). I've been wanting curry (did curried buckwheat groats one night, and curried chickpeas with veggies last night). And yesterday I got (veggie) sushi with lots of wasabi at the market. Sometimes I feel like I want stuff that's bad for me (CANNOT get rid of these sugar cravings) but other times I feel like I want stuff because I must need it. Interesting. And sometimes I enjoy making all the food that I do for the family but other times I feel like a short order cook (last night it was corn noodles with meatsauce for DS, pepperoni pizza for DD1, veggie pizza for DH, curried chickpeas for me, and chickpeas and carrots for DD2). Sometimes I feel like food "means" more to me. I'll have to learn more about that (add it to the list!).

I'm still trying to figure out what to do for DS for his yeast (he failed the spit test with me). He doesn't take pills. I tried giving him Oil of Oregano in water to drink and he said "never again". I put it on his feet, but DH said it smelled too bad. Not sure if I want to give him Nystatin while he's in school if he's going to detox (maybe I'll wait until Christmas break). There's got to be more than just the food intolerances since ALCAT said to give it 6 months then start adding food back in. That would be Dec. 1 and he's reacted to a couple things just recently (Halls cough drop, organic Kirkland corn chips - not sure why). So it doesn't seem like he's getting better to me. So I'm thinking that he needs more healing, possibly yeast.

DD2 (my csection baby) does seem to be getting better. At least her symptoms seem milder when she does get into something. Last Monday, she stole a chocolate chip cookie that had milk, soy, wheat, and corn in it (yikes), and she was up a few times each of those nights and was a terrible tantrum girl during the day, but no diarrhea or vomiting or odd rashes. So I think she might be healing the best.

Too much information? Sorry you asked?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#665 of 1043 Old 11-26-2008, 01:20 AM

Umm...I don't understand the rx for Flomax.
http://www.drugs.com/flomax.html
http://bidocs.boehringer-ingelheim.c...aps/Flomax.pdf

:

It is a brand new drug, proscribed totally off label, without FDA approval (or testing) for women, has many drug-drug interactions, significant side effects, and unknown effects for nursing mothers.

You have some doozie of a doctor who likes giving meds, it seems.

What other probiotic sources could you rotate in? It sounds like you have a variety of natural antibacterial, antifungal, antiparsitic foods and herbs.

Perhaps, continue to include those in your diet. And add more of the alkaline creating foods.

How is your nighttime anxiety when dh is at work?

We have some chewable probiotics that ds likes.

Have you added magnesium, CLO, CO, B-vitamins, bone broths?

Pat

I have a blog.
#666 of 1043 Old 11-26-2008, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Still UTI free (2 weeks yesterday)
That is awesome Kathy.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#667 of 1043 Old 11-26-2008, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Umm...I don't understand the rx for Flomax.
http://www.drugs.com/flomax.html
http://bidocs.boehringer-ingelheim.c...aps/Flomax.pdf

:

It is a brand new drug, proscribed totally off label, without FDA approval (or testing) for women, has many drug-drug interactions, significant side effects, and unknown effects for nursing mothers.
It can't be that new. The women's urologist that I went to in 2004 wanted to put me on it but I was trying to conceive DD2 at the time, so I declined, and got to catheterize myself twice a day instead (didn't help). It's supposed to relax the bladder muscle so that there isn't retention (the tests at the urologist showed retention but I swear it's not the cause, but an effect of my UTIs -- I only seem to retain when I've got an active UTI). But anyway, my regular doctor, who has seen all the paperwork/tests from all the urologists I've seen (5) decided that it was worth a try. I'm not nursing. And insurance wouldn't cover it since I'm not a man. And so far, no side effects. I figured I'd give it a month or two (while doing all the yeast measures, etc.) and then go off it to see if it was that that was helping or the other stuff, basically to give my body a chance to heal itself from the cause, if it's yeast. Buying time.

Quote:
You have some doozie of a doctor who likes giving meds, it seems.
Actually for an allopath, this doctor is GREAT. He listens to me when I come in with every theory about possible causes (since nobody could figure out the cause). He got me tested for MS. He had me tested for heavy metals. Etc.

Quote:
What other probiotic sources could you rotate in? It sounds like you have a variety of natural antibacterial, antifungal, antiparsitic foods and herbs.
I also do coconut milk yogurt. And homemade saurkraut.

Quote:
Perhaps, continue to include those in your diet. And add more of the alkaline creating foods.
I'm doing lots of leafy greens (I've never been a salad person) and almonds. And I'm doing lemon in my ice water all day long. I'm also doing less meats. Most of the vegetables that we do on the kids' rotation diets are alkaline as well.

Quote:
How is your nighttime anxiety when dh is at work?
Good memory. It's gone. He's finally back on day shift though. Hooooooray!! I don't know if that was food based or not (as in, is that a change since going off gluten, dairy, and soy?).

Quote:
We have some chewable probiotics that ds likes.
Everything free? I'm letting DD1 and DS finish up the strawberry acidophilus tablets that DD2 reacted to, then I'm not getting those again. I'd like to find one that everybody could have.

Quote:
Have you added magnesium, CLO, CO, B-vitamins, bone broths?
I take 1 B-12 a day (don't know the mg and too lazy to walk upstairs), and 1 BFresh gum (xylitol sweetened, 300% RDA of B-12). I take 2 High Potency Fish Oil gelcaps a day (hopefully this is as good as CLO), we've been doing bone broths for about a year (beef and chicken). What's CO?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#668 of 1043 Old 11-26-2008, 01:53 AM

did I ask you how you were tested for metals? You're another I want to see results on (in a perfect world!)
#669 of 1043 Old 11-26-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
did I ask you how you were tested for metals? You're another I want to see results on (in a perfect world!)
If this was for me, it was a blood test, probably about 5 years ago now. I was most concerned about lead after finding out that all the paint on the houseboat we sleep on in the summertime (circa 1903) is lead. But he tested me for several things. Are you going to tell me that a blood test isn't going to tell me anything? I also have lots of (bad) fillings --- 10, I think. But those were all when I was 7-9 years old, and the health issues didn't appear until after DS's birth (8.5 years ago), though if he's the one with yeast and food intolerances, the theory I guess is that there were issues between DD1's birth (11.5 years ago) and his birth, since she's healthy.

#670 of 1043 Old 11-26-2008, 12:53 PM

sorry, I am. Blood tests only show what's circulating....as in what you have been exposed to in the last 48 hours or so. Hair or urine shows your complete toxic load as in what's lodged in your organs. Very different. Docs seem to think if it's already imbedded in your brain it's not an issue.

So at that point you weren't beign actively exposed, but it doesn't tell you anything beyond that. Hair and urine tests are super cheap and they give you a full mineral profile as well. IF you are interested go through doctor's data. It's under $100 (test cost around $50 but some docs mark them up to interpret them.) You will then know all about your minerals too. Worth every penny just for that if you ask me.
#671 of 1043 Old 11-26-2008, 01:05 PM

Okay, you win, firefaery. I'm calling a new doctor today to see if I can find someone who can fix me, or at least give me some answers. You're going to be a hard act to follow though!

#672 of 1043 Old 11-26-2008, 01:30 PM

You are well on your way to fixing yourself. Look at all the information you have collected! All you need to do is be strong (doc's often like doing things the way *they* like doing them....if you want something you need to push for it.)
#673 of 1043 Old 11-26-2008, 02:04 PM

Kathy, if you want a hair test and your doc doesn't have an account with DDI, you can get it on your own by going through Direct Lab Services, they have DDI's Hair Elements Test for something like $93, but if you call to order and mention the autism-mercury yahoo group, you should get a discount (didn't find out til after I ordered one for my daughter).
#674 of 1043 Old 11-26-2008, 02:30 PM

Meridian Labs has one too that you don't have to get through a doc, and I'm pretty sure it's under $100 too.

#675 of 1043 Old 11-26-2008, 04:52 PM

I'm seeing a new osteopath/nutrition/holistic doctor on Monday, who sounded fantastic on the phone (left a message about getting an appointment for a new patient, and he called me back himself and talked to me for about 20 minutes). I talked about heavy metal testing and yeast and what I was doing and the main problems, and he sounded very knowledgeable and very receptive to everything. So I'm getting my hopes up again... we'll see...

#676 of 1043 Old 11-26-2008, 05:04 PM

wonderful! Keep your hopes up! It's when you expect great things that you get them!
#677 of 1043 Old 11-27-2008, 02:25 AM

Ladies, I just ran across a "testimonial" on the Weston Price site about kombucha tea being used to detox mercury stores! (scroll all the way to the end)
http://www.westonaprice.org/foodfeatures/kvass.html

I have my own testimonial, lol.

Pat

I have a blog.
#678 of 1043 Old 11-27-2008, 10:55 AM

kathy- I am so glad to hear about your progress that is wonderful!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#679 of 1043 Old 11-27-2008, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Pat, I have a thread in H & H about kefir, but I'll ask here. I bought some dried grains, small amount in a sachet to make milk and coconut milk kefir. I have two sachets. I made two batches last night. I read that I have to throw away the first batch, is this right? I just put the grains into the milk and left it ferment. I have until tonight before it is done though.

Kathy, that is cool about your UTI's. I'll have more to say when I eventually get back. I'm also studying for my degree at the moment, so I'm short on time in general. I'm doing my last four subjects in my Bachelor of Health Science. I'm excited to be almost finished, but on the other hand, I'm snowed under. I'm also writing a book and reading Miracle Child, which is very important to me that I finish reading it. I so desperately need more hours in a day!

Hunger is political.  Wherever there is widespread hunger, it is because people with guns are preventing other people from bringing in food.  
#680 of 1043 Old 11-28-2008, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Pat, I have a thread in H & H about kefir, but I'll ask here. I bought some dried grains, small amount in a sachet to make milk and coconut milk kefir. I have two sachets. I made two batches last night. I read that I have to throw away the first batch, is this right? I just put the grains into the milk and left it ferment. I have until tonight before it is done though.
I've only dealt with the live milk kefir grains. I've heard some folks throw away the first batch, I've never heard the reason for doing so. I believe it might not be "balanced" when it is re-establishing itself from dried or frozen.

You might ask on the kefir grain threads:
https://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=517191

I really learned a lot in the thread "Got Kefir?": https://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=203282

Pat

I have a blog.
#681 of 1043 Old 11-28-2008, 03:00 AM

I just finaly read through pretty much the thread....:thum

::

oh my, oh my, I don't know where to begin....

o.k firstly no c sections all vaginal natural , 5 at home with midwife , and 2 in hospital(one of them was breech)

abx, with one during the birth since I tested + for gbs, didn't test positive again and anyway I wouldn't take abx for it.
I KNOW now that some of my kids have yeast....maybe I do to although I don't have symptoms....
5 of us are gf, 4 kids tested positive.
my younger 2 ds's have many food allergies, were VERY coliky as infants, had rashes, ecxema etc; andyoungest ds has had the worst of the food allergies , digestive issues etc;
We have come a long way and the kids are doing sooooo much better, and now I feel both armed with new info ....and also overwhelmed...

I find the tt totally fascinating!!!!!
I am sure at least 2 of my kids had/have tt......
In fact with my youngest ds (now 5) I kept on telling the midwife , ped etc; that I thought he had tt and they all said, that he looked o.k. and even if he did it was minimal and would stretch out......I had such sore nipples ( and this is with my 7th, you'd think the dr. would realize I know about how to latch on at this point I got masitis a couple of times,ds had silent reflux etc;

I am so nervous now for the next lo who is due in about 3 weeks....
I did have a long break and changed my diet in the last 3-4 years....

I also just found a dr. about 1 hour away that clips tt and has articles about tt and breastfeeding etc; So at least, Iknow that this time , I have someone to goto.

I still have to digest this thread some more before I can ask specific ?????
#682 of 1043 Old 11-30-2008, 06:14 PM

please don't make me a thread killer

o.k., so i got 3lac and started ds 7 on it, today is the 3rd day.....he has been running to pee more often, (something he used to do when he was younger, and sometimes wouldn't make it on time) his ears are red today, and he said his eyes feel "burny", his cheels are red and his nose is a little runny.....
no skin eruptions(he had ecxema as a baby, no cortisone or steroids or anything, just cocnut oil, and fish oils etc which he hesn't had in ages....
could these be symptoms of die off??? Is this a good sign, or maybe he is allergic to the 3lac??
he has been on enzymes for a few months already, just recently i slacked off a bit, since I ran out of no phenol, one that really seemed to help him with reactions like red ears and itching etc;
#683 of 1043 Old 11-30-2008, 08:45 PM

May be old news, but it impressed me. I'm sitting here eating my tablespoon of virgin coconut oil.

I believe that the medium chain fatty acids, such as coconut oil remain intact until the large intestine, where candida thrives. Medium-chain fatty acids are potent anti-microbial agents, even topically.

This in vitro study shows that Coconut Oil is as effective as fluconazole (Diflucan) against candida.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...ubmed_RVDocSum

http://www.candida-albicans-cure.com...ut-oil.html#R2

Pat

I have a blog.
#684 of 1043 Old 11-30-2008, 09:03 PM

Homemade yogurt that is fermented for 24 hours, will have an average concentration of 3 billion cfu/mL of yogurt. If you were to eat a small bowl (500 ml) of 24 hour fermented homemade yogurt, you would receive 1.5 trillion beneficial bacteria - 100 times more bacteria than a 15 billion capsule.

Furthermore, freshly made kefir can have an average microbial count as high as 10 billion cfu/ml. This includes a mixture of various bacteria and yeast strains. This means that a 500 ml glass of homemade kefir could contain as many as 5 trillion beneficial microorganisms or even more!

http://www.healingcrow.com/ferfun/conspiracy/conspiracy.html

Pat

I have a blog.
#685 of 1043 Old 11-30-2008, 10:04 PM

Both kefir and yogurt are cultured milk products... ...but they contain different types of beneficial bacteria. Yogurt contains transient beneficial bacteria that keep the digestive system clean and provide food for the friendly bacteria that reside there. But kefir can actually colonize the intestinal tract, a feat that yogurt cannot match.

Kefir contains several major strains of friendly bacteria not commonly found in yogurt, Lactobacillus Caucasus, Leuconostoc, Acetobacter species, and Streptococcus species.

It also contains beneficial yeasts, such as Saccharomyces kefir and Torula kefir, which dominate, control and eliminate destructive pathogenic yeasts in the body. They do so by penetrating the mucosal lining where unhealthy yeast and bacteria reside, forming a virtual SWAT team that housecleans and strengthens the intestines. Hence, the body becomes more efficient in resisting such pathogens as E. coli and intestinal parasites.

Kefir's active yeast and bacteria provide more nutritive value than yogurt by helping digest the foods that you eat and by keeping the colon environment clean and healthy.
Because the curd size of kefir is smaller than yogurt, it is also easier to digest, which makes it a particularly excellent, nutritious food for babies, invalids and the elderly, as well as a remedy for digestive disorders.

http://www.kefir.net/kefiryogurt.htm

Pat

I have a blog.
#686 of 1043 Old 11-30-2008, 10:15 PM

Did I miss this part... I ordered the Threelac. Just received it from amazon.com and it has CASEIN in it. Ugh. Now what -- do I send it back? I'm not nursing, but I've been off milk, soy, and gluten since August and my back is so much better that I'm off all the pain meds and I've been off abx for 3 weeks with no UTI. I don't want to take the Threelac and think it's die-off when it's really a reaction to the casein. Should I chance it? Or send it back and try to get Nystatin from Europe?

Oh, and at an extended family get-together last night I found out that my husband's cousin, who had a baby, had been on an elimination diet and had lost all this weight, and now the baby was on soy formula (eczema, pooping issues, etc.). I emailed the cousin today, and it turns out she's on Neocate, not soy formula. And I said by the way... did you have a c-section? Yup. So I pointed her to this site, and this thread in particular. How can mainstream doctors be so clueless about the connection?

#687 of 1043 Old 11-30-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
May be old news, but it impressed me. I'm sitting here eating my tablespoon of virgin coconut oil.

I believe that the medium chain fatty acids, such as coconut oil remain intact until the large intestine, where candida thrives. Medium-chain fatty acids are potent anti-microbial agents, even topically.

This in vitro study shows that Coconut Oil is as effective as fluconazole (Diflucan) against candida.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...ubmed_RVDocSum

http://www.candida-albicans-cure.com...ut-oil.html#R2

Pat
this was really interesting to me. first coconut oil cures cancer and now it kills yeast?! i wish dd didnt react to coconut. i would like to work up the nerve to trial coconut oil though...
#688 of 1043 Old 11-30-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellasmama2007 View Post
this was really interesting to me. first coconut oil cures cancer and now it kills yeast?! i wish dd didnt react to coconut. i would like to work up the nerve to trial coconut oil though...
IN all fairness, it always did.

It contains lauric and caprylic acid both of which are amazing and gut healing and helps keep yeast in check.
#689 of 1043 Old 11-30-2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellasmama2007 View Post
Me too. I did trial coconut oil, and it failed miserably. Are there other food options with similar health benefits?

ETA: And on the other topic... I'm sitting here drinking a glass of water kefir right now!!

#690 of 1043 Old 11-30-2008, 10:59 PM

You could look at palm oil.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page