My research: CSS - c-section syndrome (causing allergies) - Page 25 - Mothering Forums

#721 of 1043 Old 12-01-2008, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
I don't understand either, other than if you are replacing the yeast with probiotics regularly? And what about heavy metals? Firefaery has about bummed me out since I know that is probably my bigger issue...

Pat
I really should read before posting.

(laughing or I will cry)

Pat

I have a blog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#722 of 1043 Old 12-01-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
I get various forms of probiotics and have for the last several years as well, kefir, yogurt, water kefir and coconut yogurt as of late- fermented veggies etc.

:

Pat

I have a blog.
#723 of 1043 Old 12-01-2008, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
My understanding is that yogurt has about 7-10 different strains of probiotics. Water kefir about 30 different strains of probiotics. Milk kefir about 37+ different strains of probiotics.

I believe that water kefir has much more probiotic benefit than yogurt; perhaps, slightly less than milk kefir.

Pat
Thanks Pat! This is really good to know!

#724 of 1043 Old 12-01-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
I believe the maximum benefits are from non-refined, especially not heat expeller pressed, and not deodorized.

I'm curious about the coconut milk/cream/fat benefits. I think it tastes much creamier and yummier than the coconut oil on a spoon.

Pat
I just ordered some of that Tropical Traditions, the coconut oil and the coconut cream concentrate. We did not do well digestively with the coconut flour. FF suggested maybe it was the fiber, and I think this was right. Because we seem to do okay with small amounts of plain coconut, and I have been using the coconut oil a lot, and that is okay. But now, I am wondering if the cream will be okay for us, since it will have all the fiber, etc.
#725 of 1043 Old 12-01-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Acidic foods to avoid: grains, meat, beans, egg, cheese, peanuts, butter, chocolate, honey, mayo, vinegar, wine, Brazil nuts, pecans, walnuts.

Pat
So to clarify, we want to eat more of that long alkalizing list, and avoid more of the acidic list? But this acidic list is a huge chunk of SCD. Oh, I am answering my own questions, because now I remember FF saying that different foods will have different effects on different people, so it's not as easy as eating more or less acidic or alkalizing foods. Is this right?
#726 of 1043 Old 12-01-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
I'm sorry if I'm a broken record here...but YES. You CANNOT kill yeast if metals are present ESPECIALLY mercury. That's one of the reasons I'm just not on board with yeast being the root of all health issues.

where do you get the mercury from???(some people here sound like they have avoided the traditional routes) and how do you test accurately, I don't think blood tests would be accurate...though I'm not sure.

and, most important how do you rid the body safely of mercury and/or other metals????
what are other signs/symptoms of metals???

THis makes a lot of sense as something preventing the body from reaching balance and resisting yeast even though people avoid yeast foods and take everything to get rid of it.
would this explain leaky gut/allergies even though no abx, steroids. bc, cs, etc;...

so much to think about....
#727 of 1043 Old 12-01-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
So to clarify, we want to eat more of that long alkalizing list, and avoid more of the acidic list? But this acidic list is a huge chunk of SCD. Oh, I am answering my own questions, because now I remember FF saying that different foods will have different effects on different people, so it's not as easy as eating more or less acidic or alkalizing foods. Is this right?
Yes, the list may be useless.

Pat

I have a blog.
#728 of 1043 Old 12-01-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:

Pat
Oh Pat! You are too funny.
#729 of 1043 Old 12-01-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombh View Post
where do you get the mercury from???(some people here sound like they have avoided the traditional routes) and how do you test accurately, I don't think blood tests would be accurate...though I'm not sure.
mombh,
FF has mentioned a hair test by Doctors' Data, that is a really good test for metals, and it also gives you a mineral profile. I think you have to get a doctor to order it for you, but try googling it, and take the info to your doctor.

Did TanyaLopez tell us there was a place you could go through to get it without a doctor? Or maybe I am mixing up my tests...
#730 of 1043 Old 12-01-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:

Interestingly, I looked up the "Blood type" diet and the Ayurvedic diet (for me) and both said to avoid meat, eat vegetarian diet. When I listen to my body, that does feel best, if I get a LOT of fresh vegetables. Meat feels 'heavy'. But, low protein doesn't nourish long and I am hungry again.
http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/2/a/ayurveda.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type_diet

It also correlates with the alkaline forming foods.

Pat

I have a blog.
#731 of 1043 Old 12-01-2008, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
Did TanyaLopez tell us there was a place you could go through to get it without a doctor? Or maybe I am mixing up my tests...
Yes. Doctor's Data Inc (DDI) needs a doctor to order the test, but there's a company, Direct Lab Services, that serves as a doctor and will order tests for individuals. They mark up the tests somewhat, but I've heard that if you call to order (ask for the Doctor's Data Hair Elements test, not the Toxic Hair Elements) they'll discount the price a bit. Their website lists the price as $93, I _think_ the discounted price is $74, not sure.

https://www.directlabs.com/Default.aspx?TabId=55

The Hair Elements test on the bottom of this page is the one I used for my daughter. Their site got a lot harder to navigate since I did this in the spring! I used Andy Cutler's counting rules to look for mercury (not just high hair mercury).

Mombh--there have been occasional people on the frequent-dose-chelation yahoo group I'm on that haven't had amalgam fillings, but are mercury toxic. And some people end up with some really odd heavy metals with no known source of exposure. It seems incredibly hard to track down something like that, but I think they've pretty much eliminated all the other things they can come up with, and look at heavy metals as a last resort for understanding their health problems.
#732 of 1043 Old 12-01-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombh View Post
Well some of us were fully vaccinated, plus annual vax for me as a nurse. And 10 large amalgam fillings in my teeth, since age 6. Plus, probably some aluminum (many and varied sources: deodorant, cookware, vax), arsenic (treated wood around vegetable garden), lead exposures along the way (old paint, old houses, old furniture)...I'm probably leaving out some heavy metals. Oh, and grew up on tuna from a can. Throw in a bunch of pesticides, herbicides, my Dad loved these growing up! And we had antibiotics every year growing up, multiple times. Plus a few courses of steroids...and standard American processed diet. I only skipped the c-section. And gave ds the antibiotics at birth directly. (just whining now)

Quote:
and, most important how do you rid the body safely of mercury and/or other metals????
what are other signs/symptoms of metals???
I don't feel bad. I'm just a probiotic pusher. (You know, like a reformed smoker; I'm a reformed antibiotic advocate.)

Quote:
This makes a lot of sense as something preventing the body from reaching balance and resisting yeast even though people avoid yeast foods and take everything to get rid of it.
would this explain leaky gut/allergies even though no abx, steroids. bc, cs, etc;...

so much to think about....
Yes, the healthy alternatives seem much more applicable to benefit our young children who get our toxic loads from birth.

Fortunately, we do classical homeopathy. I do say, we feel great compared to before homeopathy.

Pat

I have a blog.
#733 of 1043 Old 12-01-2008, 02:29 PM

sigh... the metals discussion is slightly depressing. After so many hopes of this or that being the route cause I find myself somewhat cynical. Harshly limiting my diet even more doesn't seem nourishing either. I am off of gluten, eggs, soy and dairy as it is and grainfree(no fruits or sugar of any kind right now either) as that is what seems to make me feel better but then to add to that to look what is alkaline and acid-avoiding the goitrogens for the thyroid and iodine uptake - it doesn't feel nourishing anymore. I am eating a whole foods diet- sigh...

I think perhaps there is a reason why the metals keep coming up for me. I need to look at it more, going to have to think on it a while.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#734 of 1043 Old 12-01-2008, 03:11 PM

Yeah, the metals are "irrelevant" to me, in that I'm not going to actively remove them. But, I am interested in knowing what I can do naturally to maximize my nutritional status, both from an immune system, whole foods, natural alternatives perspective.

I totally agree, that restricted diets are out of the realm of my tolerance, especially long-term. However, knowing what makes things worse and better, seems to be easy to be conscious about. The whole limit meat, add vegetables seems more doable, with a *reason*. I'm a ADD nutrition gal, rather than a restrict or avoid stuff.

The classical homeopathy has been HUGE for us also.

Firefaery has some fabulous grain-free and raw recipes! I'm all for adding delicious to my life! :

Pat

I have a blog.
#735 of 1043 Old 12-01-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
First of all #%*#%*#@$%*@#$%*$#% -- I got the friggin' UTI back (today would have been 3 weeks).
Oh man.... :

But you made it 3 weeks! So maybe next time, you can make it 6 weeks!!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#736 of 1043 Old 12-01-2008, 04:15 PM

oh.my.goodness. I have officially blown off this day, with the exception of nursing and throwing some scrambled eggs on a plate for my toddler, to read this thread. I'm not quite finished, but I'm dying to post a plea for help, help, help. !

Okay. I'm going to attempt to keep this short.

Both of my babes were born naturally with no interventions, my first in the hospital, the second at home. My pregnancies were very close together (16mo between my boys). I didn't suffer any yeast problems during my first pregnancy, and I didn't take any abx while pregnant with him.

With my second, I took a round of abx during the late first trimester/early second tri. for a UTI. I also treated a yeast infection during that time, IIRC, probably after the abx. (go figure.) I had no other noticeable yeast issues during the rest of the pregnancy, though, of course I realize that that doesn't mean it was *gone*.

When DS2 was 3months old, I got a wicked case of strep throat, and took abx for it. Two weeks later, I got it again (or it just never cleared), and took even stronger abx. Sure enough, my babe had thrush after that. I started very gently, thinking it was no big deal, something I could totally manage. The white patches in his mouth disappeared when I rubbed acidophilus powder on them a few times a day, and I haven't seen them since.

Still, we have it (5 months later). I've done every topical treatment in the book, and off the books. They help with the symptoms, sort of. I have itchy, dry nipples. They turn red and feel sore during a flare up, and I get hot, shooting, prickly pains in my breast. DS gets a rash around his mouth, and on his bum. Looks pretty darn yeasty to me. I've been having vaginal infections, too.

Back in the spring, I did the anti-yeast diet for 2.5 months:
No grains, at all, period.
No sugar, sweeteners, except stevia.
No fruit.
No malt, no vinegar
No starchy vegetables
Limited red meat
No nuts, beans, or seeds, except for almonds, which I eventually cut.
No dairy, except cultured, raw milk kefir and yogurt. I eventually cut yogurt, too.

We were still having yeast flare-ups during this. At the time I was also taking Candex, and then Threelac (I don't think I took them simultaneously. Just don't have the budget for it). I didn't experience die-off symptoms, really, at all.
I dropped 20lbs (130 to 110lb at 5'6") really fast. At first I felt good--and it seemed like maybe the symptoms were subsiding. They came back, but I pushed on, and on with that stupid, rotten diet. By the time I called it quits, I felt awful. I was starving all the time (with bizarre cravings for things like plain, cooked, unsweetened oatmeal), had no energy, my digestion was screwy, and on top of that, I felt utterly defeated (and depleted) and was still battling yeast.

So, we eventually saw our doctor, and got some nystatin--not for me, at that point, but drops for DS and cream for my nipples. We've been through 4 rounds of the stuff--and now have the nystatin tablets for myself, and have been taking them since Wednesday. I'm also taking Candida Cleanse by Rainbow light, and Primal Defense probiotics. I wish I could say that I've had some glorious die-off. I haven't. At all.

I've laid off on the diet some--first just went back to eating fruit and some oatmeal, which fixed my digestive problems. Occasionally cheese, and I started drinking the morning cup of coffee again. I'm not really avoiding starchy veggies, but usually opt for leafy greens instead. I'm still sugar and sweetener-free, and gluten free. I'm avoiding dairy (still on raw dairy kefir, though), nuts, beans, and I think probably corn, too, now.... I don't eat much fruit.

My nursling doesn't have any noticeable food sensitivities. No cradle cap. He has the most gorgeous Mediterranean complexion ever. His poos look good--orangey-yellowy. They reek of yeast, though.

At a dr. appt last Monday, my doc. sent off BM cultures, swabs of DS's mouth, blood sugar tests, and a vaginal culture. I'll get the results tomorrow, but what can I really expect?

I don't crave sugar anymore, for sure. I crave salt and butter and things like it--namely, egg yolks. Like crazy. I think my salt gauge is wacky, because DH wouldn't even eat soup that I salted "way too much", and I was dumping more in. I crave orange veggies--carrots, butternut squash.

This wasn't short at all. Sorry. I'm totally desperate and out of money that I'm continuing to spend on fighting this, and you all are so wise. I really need your thoughts/opinions/advice.

Erin, Catholic mama to four sweet boys: Ambrose (11/06), Peter (3/08), Joseph (9/10), and Victor (4/14), and a sweet girl, Charlotte (7/12).
#737 of 1043 Old 12-01-2008, 05:18 PM

tolovemercy, here are some ideas/questions to consider. What about adequate fats, essential fatty acids, thyroid, adrenal function, (I noticed the salt and hair loss), heavy metals with a lot of kombucha could detox. Are you doing kombucha? It has S. boulardii to replace the candida. Too much can detox also.

Rapid weight loss could put you in ketosis and increase toxic loads for your system also.

Are you taking the kefir hours after the nystatin?

Have you tried coconut oil on nipples, and orally, daily for antifungal benefits? You need 3-4 Tablespoons daily, virgin, unrefined, not "deodorized". Take it separately, before the probiotics, if possible. It becomes silly at some point trying to time everything.

What about B vitamins which are important for immune function. And zinc, vit C, vit E? Local produce to maximize nutrients? What about green juicing?

Bone broths for magnesium and calcium. The magnesium is necessary for hormonal function.

Are you using only antibiotic-free meats? Avoiding preservatives such as sodium benzoate, which are artificial antibacterial, antifungals added to foods.

Have you considered classical homeopathy?

Does baby have eczema?

Are you using sea salt with microminerals? What about kelp for iodine?

Did I see that you are fermenting vegetables already?

Are you soaking beans and discarding the soak water before cooking them? I just learned that the toxins removed from the beans remains in the water and must be discarded. Otherwise, the toxins inflame the gut.

Corn? It is often an allergen for folks, especially "normal" GMO-corn.

Have you tried lavender essential oil for topical yeast? Here is an essential oil recipe for healing vaginosis, yeast infections etc. This is for adults only. https://www.mothering.com/discussions...&postcount=225

I assume you took the GSE separately from the probiotics? Just shooting in the dark here, related to possible aspects that could confound the benefits of all the hard work you are doing.

Water! Water! Water! Hydration is 90% of the battle for a healthy body, I believe.

HTH, not required to respond, just some food for thought.

Pat

I have a blog.
#738 of 1043 Old 12-01-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Yeah, the metals are "irrelevant" to me, in that I'm not going to actively remove them. But, I am interested in knowing what I can do naturally to maximize my nutritional status, both from an immune system, whole foods, natural alternatives perspective.

The classical homeopathy has been HUGE for us also.

Pat
One of the reasons I started pursuing this years ago was because homeopathy was having an incomplete action on my dd (on the spectrum.) Turns out there are many homeopaths who believe that this can be caused by metals. Basically her remedy would work brilliantly and then stop. Administer again a month later and brilliant....but only for a few weeks. After months of this I posed the question to several classical homeopaths and got the same answer....metals can disrupt the action of the remedies. All suggested another round of metal testing and....they were right. She was loaded with levels in the 80-90% range with 9 different metals. Keep in mind she was born at home, never vaxxed and has never taken a prescription or OTC medication. This was clearly from ME and guess what? I really don't have much in the way of fillings. I've never had a cavity that needed to be drilled. There is just so much more here than we are looking at.

Now from MY training I know that metals interfere with the body's immune system and ability to rid itself of yeast, but there's a whole lotta other things that have been coming to light for me recently. It all aligns with the energy aspect as well. I am currently researching the benefits of metals. So I need to be clear when I say that metals play a huge part in this, and high levels do indeed indicate an imbalance but not necessarily one that needs to be TREATED per se.

I do not believe in actively removing metal, nor have I ever. I do not love the idea of DMSA or any of the other oral chelators. I have no issue with greens (chlorella) and supporting the organs with drainage remedies (homeopathic) or things like vitamin C but I am not fond of heroic measures taken to extract. (This is a personal thing, not a judgment.) I have a lot of concerns about what happens to the body when this is done.

Anyway...long story short I think that it can all be dealt with on an energetic level. I think Pat is dead on with the homeopathy aspect, but I also think that we need to keep a very important idea in mind. This may sound kooky but all of these manifestation of illness are the body's way of compensating. They do not need to be treated IMO. They need to be witnessed and it doesn't hurt to have a HCP on board who understands healing.
#739 of 1043 Old 12-01-2008, 05:53 PM

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond--I so appreciate it. I just bolded my responses to some of the questions.

Quote:
tolovemercy, here are some ideas/questions to consider. What about adequate fats, essential fatty acids, thyroid, adrenal function, (I noticed the salt and hair loss), heavy metals with a lot of kombucha could detox. Are you doing kombucha? It has S. boulardii to replace the candida. Too much can detox also.

Yes--doing lots of kombucha. Never experienced detox symptoms from it. I'm just beginning to learn and think about thyroid or adrenal issues. The hair loss and salt cravings are what tuned me into it. I don't even know where to begin with that stuff, though.

Rapid weight loss could put you in ketosis and increase toxic loads for your system also.

Are you taking the kefir hours after the nystatin?

Yes. I aim to always be repopulating several hours after nystatin--either kefir or kombucha, usually, as well as a probiotic pill.

Have you tried coconut oil on nipples, and orally, daily for antifungal benefits? You need 3-4 Tablespoons daily, virgin, unrefined, not "deodorized". Take it separately, before the probiotics, if possible. It becomes silly at some point trying to time everything.

I had some very good success with CO on my nipples, as well as down below, either alone or as a combo with TTO. I have attempted to get CO down internally, and actually started this thread awhile back: https://www.mothering.com/discussions...php?p=12641599

I'm not sure if what I experienced was a die-off reaction or just a bad response to the oil, but it's really hard to get psyched up to do it again without knowing. What do you think? I have, in the past, made almond butter/CO balls and don't recall getting such an awful reaction--but when I cut out almonds, I stopped eating that. Do you think the benefits of CO would outweigh the negative affects of the nut butter (yeast-wise)?

What about B vitamins which are important for immune function. And zinc, vit C, vit E? Local produce to maximize nutrients? What about green juicing?

I'm just now beginning to think about vitamin deficiencies after reading this thread! We do mostly local produce.

Bone broths for magnesium and calcium. The magnesium is necessary for hormonal function.

I'm a bone-broth junkie.

Are you using only antibiotic-free meats? Avoiding preservatives such as sodium benzoate, which are artificial antibacterial, antifungals added to foods.

Yes, only antibiotic free meat. I'll keep a watch out for preservatives, though most of the food I eat is prepared and made in my kitchen. What foods should I be leary of?

This is another one of those things that I know nothing about, and don't know where to begin.

Does baby have eczema?

No. I don't, either.

Ah, no, I've been using kosher salt lately. (DH's preference) Kelp is a good idea, thanks.

Did I see that you are fermenting vegetables already?

Yes! : Raw saurkraut.

Are you soaking beans and discarding the soak water before cooking them? I just learned that the toxins removed from the beans remains in the water and must be discarded. Otherwise, the toxins inflame the gut.

I read this--or I read your post about it, perhaps. I'm generally avoiding beans, but have this in the back of my mind for next time.

I'm beginning to suspect corn as a culprit. Last week had an awful flare up the day after ODing on blue corn chips.

Have you tried lavender essential oil for topical yeast? Here is an essential oil recipe for healing vaginosis, yeast infections etc. This is for adults only. https://www.mothering.com/discussions...&postcount=225

Wow, I'd never even heard lavender oil for yeast until now. Thank you!

I assume you took the GSE separately from the probiotics? Just shooting in the dark here, related to possible aspects that could confound the benefits of all the hard work you are doing.

Yeah, I did. I had good luck with GSE topically for awhile, before we stopped responding to it, but didn't notice any real change from taking it internally.

Water! Water! Water! Hydration is 90% of the battle for a healthy body, I believe.

You're so right.

HTH, not required to respond, just some food for thought.

Pat

Erin, Catholic mama to four sweet boys: Ambrose (11/06), Peter (3/08), Joseph (9/10), and Victor (4/14), and a sweet girl, Charlotte (7/12).
#740 of 1043 Old 12-01-2008, 05:57 PM

Just throwing it out there that water *may* not be the best form of hydration. Bone broths, fresh vegetable juices and herbal infusions (as well as fresh fruits and veggies) are a better bet IMO.
#741 of 1043 Old 12-01-2008, 06:21 PM

What about CLO? Cold water fish, flax seed for EFAs?
Kombucha can detox and weaken the immune system temporarily. You know, one step back, two steps forward.

Btw, I take my probiotics all separately. Like yogurt, separate from kefir. I figure they each have their own impact. Same with the natural antibacterial, antifungals, I believe rotating them has more benefit than constant full court press.

I saw your post about the CO. I'd bet it was die-off. I'd reintroduce CO and press on with increasing the dose over time. I love the idea of finding a palatable way to consume larger doses of the CO. Share your recipes!

What was the issue with almonds? They are high protein, nutrient dense and alkaline forming. Do you soak them in salted water to remove enzyme inhibitors? I would, and try again, unless it is an allergenic issue. Here is more info about soaking nuts: http://www.newtrendspublishing.com/P...ermentation%22

Zinc, vit C, vit E, green juicing.

Yeah on the bone broths.

What foods should I be leary of? Related to artificial preservatives: liquids, cereals, medications-even from the HFS. :-/

Search online for a Classical homeopath in your area. If they list themself as *classical* and not ND, you have a specific practioner.

Ah, no, I've been using kosher salt lately. (DH's preference) Kelp is a good idea, thanks.

Maybe use sea salt for baking, soups, prepared food.

Yes! : Raw saurkraut.

I am impressed. I haven't braved that yet. Afraid of the bacteria.

I'm beginning to suspect corn as a culprit. Last week had an awful flare up the day after ODing on blue corn chips.

I saw that. It made me wonder.

Wow, I'd never even heard lavender oil for yeast until now. Thank you!

Yes, the internal essential oils reminded me of changingseason's ND recommendations. Something to consider.

Yeah, I did. I had good luck with GSE topically for awhile, before we stopped responding to it, but didn't notice any real change from taking it internally.

I think one needs frequent dosing, over a period of time. If you go that route. Did you see the long list of natural antimicrobials above? https://www.mothering.com/discussions...&postcount=648

Did you see the Sea Salt and Vit C protocal above?

Pat

I have a blog.
#742 of 1043 Old 12-01-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovemercy View Post
Back in the spring, I did the anti-yeast diet for 2.5 months:
No grains, at all, period.
No sugar, sweeteners, except stevia.
No fruit.
No malt, no vinegar
No starchy vegetables
Limited red meat
No nuts, beans, or seeds, except for almonds, which I eventually cut.
No dairy, except cultured, raw milk kefir and yogurt. I eventually cut yogurt, too.
I may have missed this somewhere, but are nuts, beans, and seeds bad if you have a yeast problem?

Quote:
Just throwing it out there that water *may* not be the best form of hydration. Bone broths, fresh vegetable juices and herbal infusions (as well as fresh fruits and veggies) are a better bet IMO.
FF - This is a little off topic, but what is your position on fruits in an anti-yeast diet?
#743 of 1043 Old 12-01-2008, 06:28 PM

ready for my OH so helpful answer?

Some can handle it. Some can't.

I wish it were a formula, but it's not. Sorry!
#744 of 1043 Old 12-01-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear this.

Have you added a bunch of the natural antibacterial, antifungal, antimicrobial herbs, spices, foods, in addition to S. boulardii to replace the yeast and bifidum bacteria to help the gut ph? Not just lactobacillus.
I've been eating my own saurkraut (went and got another organic head of cabbage today to make more). Coconut milk yogurt. Nature's Trinity probiotics, acidophilus. I'm also using oil of oregano, oregano in food, and curry powder.

Quote:
Let's look about "alkaline" forming foods again? I know some of these are no-nos for you. This is my list of nutrient dense, alkaline forming foods.

bananas
pineapple YES 1 out of 4 days
kale
spinach DD can't have so we haven't been having, but I bought some today
dandelion
ginger
flax seed oil
collard greens
cinnamon
cucumber in salad almost every day
fig
dates at least once a week
grapes every 4 days
oranges
pumpkin seeds
chestnuts
sunflower seeds
chili pepper
salt I use sea salt every day
peppers in my salad almost every day
sprouts
carrot in my salad almost every day
celery
garlic yes, much to DH's chagrin, and when he works nights, I take the pill form too
lemons in my water every day
limes
wheat grass
olive oil almost the only oil I cook with
turnip
watermelon
beets every four days
apple
coconut coconut milk yogurt, coconut oil in baking/sauteing, coconut bread
curry alot lately
strawberries
grapefruit juice (note this makes many medications less effective)
pear
peach
bee pollen
almonds LOTS
avocado 2-3 times a week
oranges
cherry juice
black strap molasses
apricots
raisins

HTH, Pat
I actually have a book that's "The Acid Alkaline Food Guide" that lists it all. I'm eating less meat as well, since that's acid forming.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#745 of 1043 Old 12-01-2008, 07:14 PM

Have you been testing your urine? I will say again that meat made me more alkaline...it was what my body needed to balance. I would encourage you to monitor to see what *your* needs are.
#746 of 1043 Old 12-01-2008, 07:21 PM

I'm firmly stuck at a 5 (acid) on the urine test... every. single. time. I can't get it to budge, and I've really been trying to do the alkalyzing thing (while also trying to do the anti-yeast diet, which doesn't always coincide).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#747 of 1043 Old 12-01-2008, 07:27 PM

Have you EVER gone up past the 5? Or is it only since adding alkalinizing foods that you've gone more acidic?
#748 of 1043 Old 12-01-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
I've been eating my own saurkraut (went and got another organic head of cabbage today to make more). Coconut milk yogurt. Nature's Trinity probiotics, acidophilus. I'm also using oil of oregano, oregano in food, and curry powder.
S. boulardii to replace the yeast and bifidum bacteria to help the gut ph?

Your own sauerkraut doesn't have it. I'm not sure if your probiotic does?

GT Dave's kombucha has the S. boulardii. Bifidum is usually a bottled probiotic (or in breast milk). The S. boulardii helps to displace and replace the candida. This is important. Bifidum helps the gut ph. Bifidum decreases the gut inflamation and improves immune function.

I would add these specifically. See more info about bifidum: https://www.mothering.com/discussions...7&postcount=28

Pat

I have a blog.
#749 of 1043 Old 12-01-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Have you EVER gone up past the 5? Or is it only since adding alkalinizing foods that you've gone more acidic?
I've always been a 5, for as long as I've been testing my own (5 or 6 years).

Quote:
S. boulardii to replace the yeast and bifidum bacteria to help the gut ph?

Your own sauerkraut doesn't have it. I'm not sure if your probiotic does?

GT Dave's kombucha has the S. boulardii. Bifidum is usually a bottled probiotic (or in breast milk). The S. boulardii helps to displace and replace the candida. This is important. Bifidum helps the gut ph. Bifidum decreases the gut inflamation and improves immune function.
My Healthy Trinity has Lactobbacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium bifidum, and Lactobacillus Bulgaricus. So I'm getting one but not the other.

#750 of 1043 Old 12-01-2008, 11:49 PM

ok, i know this is dumb but i dont know where else to ask this. in keeping with the heavy metals theme, is aluminum foil a potential hazard for leeching metal into food? specifically cooking with alum foil and using it in contact with hot food. also, dh is addicted to soda in cans ( iknow, dont even get me started), so are the cans dangerous too? i know they are lined with the bpa-containing plastic, but are they also likely to displace metal into the soda?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page