My research: CSS - c-section syndrome (causing allergies) - Page 33 - Mothering Forums

#961 of 1043 Old 01-13-2009, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have any thoughts on giving coconut oil to a nearly 10m/o baby to aid in getting rid of yeast?

Erin, Catholic mama to four sweet boys: Ambrose (11/06), Peter (3/08), Joseph (9/10), and Victor (4/14), and a sweet girl, Charlotte (7/12).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#962 of 1043 Old 01-13-2009, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovemercy View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on giving coconut oil to a nearly 10m/o baby to aid in getting rid of yeast?
I believe it would be fine to do, assuming no intolerance to coconut. How are you all doing?

Pat

I have a blog.
#963 of 1043 Old 01-13-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
I believe it would be fine to do, assuming no intolerance to coconut. How are you all doing?

Pat
Thanks, Pat! I'm going to try it.

We're doing OK. My DS1 is doing great, actually. I did some Oil of Oregano with him before and around Christmas--hit it hard, at first, and have now backed off to just occasional treatment. I rubbed it on the soles of his feet, mixed it with olive or coconut oil for his eczema, and gave him one drop mixed with maple syrup every day. His eczema vanished (fast!), and hasn't been back. He's also stopped requesting candy and bread so frequently and seems all-around more vibrant--and seems to have a healthier appetite for veggies and meat. (I am SO happy about this--it was rewarding to watch him heal, after so many months of feeling like all of my efforts were fruitless)

As for me, the holidays were filled with itchy, yeasty-ness. The OoO didn't seem to work the same wonders for me or DS2. I'm embarrassed to admit it here, but my doctor just prescribed me some vaginal medication as well as a systemic antifungal--and I'm desperate enough to take it. I need to get well. For myself and for my nursling. (I know, I know--metals and all.)

I thought my DS2 was doing well, also, but he developed an awful yeast rash over the weekend, which prompted the CO question.

So! That's our scoop--thanks for asking!

Erin, Catholic mama to four sweet boys: Ambrose (11/06), Peter (3/08), Joseph (9/10), and Victor (4/14), and a sweet girl, Charlotte (7/12).

#964 of 1043 Old 01-13-2009, 07:06 PM

tolovemercy, are you still doing water kefir and CO yourself?

What about CLO, magnesium, zinc, Vit. C?

Also, what might have changed in your diet this past weekend? Supplements, packaged food, ate out.

The CO is beneficial topically also.

Pat

I have a blog.
#965 of 1043 Old 01-13-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
tolovemercy, are you still doing water kefir and CO yourself?

What about CLO, magnesium, zinc, Vit. C?

Also, what might have changed in your diet this past weekend? Supplements, packaged food, ate out.

The CO is beneficial topically also.

Pat
Yes--CO, Water Kefir, Kombucha, and Primal Defense, all taken separately throughout the day.

I've been taking vitamin C and zinc. CLO is next on my HFS list, but it was vetoed by a disapproving (and skeptical) husband who already had an eyebrow raised at the ridiculously high total.

On Sunday morning, I drank a glass of goat's milk kefir. Sunday evening, I found DS2 in a poopy diaper that I hadn't detected (and have no idea how long he'd been sitting in it), and the rash had popped up. Until then, I was for the most part dairy-free. I'm not sure if that would have caused it...? Or was it just the sitting in a yeasty, yucky diaper that did it? Or both. ? Poor guy. I've been rubbing CO on his rash and then letting him go diaper-free for awhile a few times a day. It's looking better.

eta: I often find myself worrying that my water kefir is too sugary and/or yeasty, and worry that it could be adding to the problems. are these fears unfounded? I didn't worry about this when I was doing milk kefir, primarily because I wasn't dumping 1/2 c. of sugar into it! how do the yeasts in kefir interact with candida?
that said, i don't notice any particular correlation between the kefir and the symptoms, it's just a nagging worry I have about the whole thing.

#966 of 1043 Old 01-13-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovemercy View Post

eta: I often find myself worrying that my water kefir is too sugary and/or yeasty, and worry that it could be adding to the problems. are these fears unfounded? I didn't worry about this when I was doing milk kefir, primarily because I wasn't dumping 1/2 c. of sugar into it! how do the yeasts in kefir interact with candida?
You know, this paradox perplexes me also.

But, the sugar is eaten by the beneficial yeasts. https://www.mothering.com/discussions...8&postcount=26

Dom's Kefir FAQ's: http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefir-faq.html

The beneficial yeasts displace and replace the candida yeast. The other bacteria create a ph environment to benefit the "good" microbials and disrupt and clear out the "bad".

Pat

I have a blog.
#967 of 1043 Old 01-13-2009, 10:17 PM

Dumb question about Kefir from me....

I read to avoid fermented things when healing the gut (off of leakygut dot something when I googled)

Why avoid fermented things?

Does Kefir count as something to avoid while gut healing? (I'm guessing it's no, b/c of the beneficial yeast?)
#968 of 1043 Old 01-13-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springmum View Post

I read to avoid fermented things when healing the gut (off of leakygut dot something when I googled)

Does Kefir count as something to avoid while gut healing? (I'm guessing it's no, b/c of the beneficial yeast?)
I would love to see that link... AFAIK, you're supposed to have fermented things while healing the gut, because they help recolonize healthy bacteria and get things back in balance.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#969 of 1043 Old 01-13-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:

Fermented foods are acid forming in the body (as opposed to alkalizing). But, the probiotics are essential to gut health. So, it is a net benefit.

Pat

I have a blog.
#970 of 1043 Old 01-13-2009, 10:44 PM

I thought so too...

here's the link

http://www.leakygut.co.uk/Treatments...eaky%20gut.htm

"avoid fermented products which feed the yeast"

am I just misunderstanding the which feed the yeast part?.... Sometimes the brain cells aren't working the way they should, ha ha
#971 of 1043 Old 01-13-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Fermented foods are acid forming in the body (as opposed to alkalizing). But, the probiotics are essential to gut health. So, it is a net benefit.

Pat
Aaaaahhh.

#972 of 1043 Old 01-14-2009, 01:20 AM

Quote:
I thought so too...

here's the link

http://www.leakygut.co.uk/Treatments...eaky%20gut.htm

"avoid fermented products which feed the yeast"

am I just misunderstanding the which feed the yeast part?.... Sometimes the brain cells aren't working the way they should, ha ha

Some candida diets tells you to avoid vinegar, but some tell you that ACV actually helps to kill candida. The good bacteria in fermented foods are helpful, but maybe you want to go slow to start off if you were someone having significant inflammation.
#973 of 1043 Old 01-14-2009, 01:25 AM

I am kind of worried tonight. We have started the SCD for both of my boys. Things have been looking good, but they will have a few good days and then have an abnormal stool. We are very much still in the intro phases, but have introduced several things. Tonight, my older child had a bowel movement and there were actually these stringy things in the toilet along with it, and when I investigated I realized it was mucus, like a long string of mucus, tinged with a small amount of blood. I don't know what to do. Could that be a normal part of the process of things clearing out?? Or does blood-tinged mucus mean something is not settling well with him? We have only added in the most digestible foods, like butternut squash and well-cooked vegetables, peeled and well-cooked apples. I just don't know. They both seemed to do really well on meat, bananas, eggs, and coconut oil. But I need to add in more foods. I need to get into a homeopath, but I have got to figure this out.

ETA: There was not a lot of this stuff, but just the fact that it was there made me nervous.
#974 of 1043 Old 01-14-2009, 12:42 PM

momofmine--sorry about your boys' tummy troubles. i followed a strict anti-candida diet for a few months, and developed pretty miserable digestive ailments towards the end--including alot of cramping and bloating and mucous and blood tinged mucous with BM--sorry for the TMI, but just wanted to chime in that I felt better when I started eating more fiber (which is hard to do when you're following a SCD or candida diet. i started eating small amounts of oatmeal or millet in the morning with a healthy dose of ground flax)--so, maybe flax seeds? also, bone broth helped alot, but i'm sure you already know that.

i've started The Makers Diet this week (the 40-day tri-phase plan--the first phase includes raw, cultured goat's milk dairy, most vegetables except for corn and potatoes, excludes all grains and fruits except for limes, lemons, and berries). I feel like it's less restrictive than the candida diet. Anyway, I woke up this morning and took a pregnancy test because I felt so awful--shaky, sick. I recall this happening a few days after starting the anti-candida diet as well (thought I had the stomach flu, and blew the diet for a day). Die-off? I can only hope. Why else?

Negative hpt, though! ()

#975 of 1043 Old 01-14-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
I am kind of worried tonight. We have started the SCD for both of my boys. Things have been looking good, but they will have a few good days and then have an abnormal stool. We are very much still in the intro phases, but have introduced several things. Tonight, my older child had a bowel movement and there were actually these stringy things in the toilet along with it, and when I investigated I realized it was mucus, like a long string of mucus, tinged with a small amount of blood. I don't know what to do. Could that be a normal part of the process of things clearing out?? Or does blood-tinged mucus mean something is not settling well with him? We have only added in the most digestible foods, like butternut squash and well-cooked vegetables, peeled and well-cooked apples. I just don't know. They both seemed to do really well on meat, bananas, eggs, and coconut oil. But I need to add in more foods. I need to get into a homeopath, but I have got to figure this out.

ETA: There was not a lot of this stuff, but just the fact that it was there made me nervous.
Hugs, mama. I wouldn't like it either. Mucus *can* just be clearing out but with the blood present I think there's something more going on. How many new foods did you add at once?

*I* don't think adding fiber right now is a great idea. There's already inflammation and you were doing better with less. It was adding it that brought the mucus back. I can see doing it after some healing has been achieved, but not yet. I really thing fruits and veggies should be well cooked.

I think that looking into the homeopath is going to be invaluable for all of you.
#976 of 1043 Old 01-14-2009, 01:12 PM

I just came back to add that I'm not really suggesting that you start feeding your boys a bunch of fiber, and that I was just recounting my own experience.

I was suspect of all the almonds I was eating contributing to my digestive troubles, so there's a thought. Are you doing nuts? Soaked?

#977 of 1043 Old 01-15-2009, 01:24 AM

I feel like we are pretty low fiber so far, all fruits and vegs are completely peeled and well cooked. The only new food added was butternut squash, and he didn't eat a ton of it, but I did cut it back today. I just feel like I need to add some foods back in. They are eating meat, eggs, bananas, fish, cooked apples, and just a few veggies (cauliflower, carrots, zuch, green beans) but I don't give all those vegs on the same day. He usually just has maybe 2 servings of vegs per day.

I have not added back in any probiotic supp or foods yet. I was looking into coconut yogurt, but couldn't find any legal canned, but I found some shredded without preservatives and I am going to try to make some coconut milk from the recipe in the GAPS book.

ETA: and no nuts yet at all, in any form
#978 of 1043 Old 01-16-2009, 01:27 PM

Hope it's okay that I jump in here with my own issues... I just started giving DS (11 m.) a little coconut oil directly, and the past few BMs he's had have lots of little cheesy bits, like curds, only I don't think they are (he's never had curds really so I guess I wouldn't know). The last one had a spot of blood and some mucous too. His skin looks better though. Die off? Intolerance? Maybe too much too fast? Thanks for your ideas!
#979 of 1043 Old 01-16-2009, 04:13 PM

That is so interesting, we have still had some occasional spots of blood and mucus too, even though before it seemed related to the probiotic supp, but we haven't had that for weeks and weeks. I never thought about if it might be the coconut oil. I guess it could be anything. But it might make sense that if the coconut oil is causing die-off then it may cause irritation too.

It seems like they need the coconut oil though to keep their bowels moving. Being low fiber, I have found that they need a certain amount of fat to keep the stools regular.
#980 of 1043 Old 01-18-2009, 07:49 PM

Bumping for a mama

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#981 of 1043 Old 01-20-2009, 12:42 PM

Hi all,
So we have been doing the SCD for gut healing for almost a month now, and both my kids have had normal stools for several days now. Then my 4 yo had a poop this am that was very soft, came out in several shapes/pieces, and part of it floated. I inspected it more closely and there were these very tiny, short, whitish threads in his stool. Would that be some type of digested food? Or a parasite issue? The threads were very tiny, thin, short, they weren't moving or anything, but it was odd. And they weren't "white" white, as in stark white, just kind of "white-ish".

Help? We were, and are still, doing so well. This just threw me this morning. We had an ova and parasite check done at the regular family doctor a few months ago, and it was negative.
#982 of 1043 Old 01-20-2009, 12:57 PM

momofmine, it might be threadworms. Here is an informative article. http://www.pharmj.com/pdf/cpd/pj_200...asiticworm.pdf
http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23068841/

Here is a photo. http://www.mcneilhealth.co.uk/family...threadworm.jpg

I personally wouldn't worry about it.

Pat

I have a blog.
#983 of 1043 Old 01-20-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
momofmine, it might be threadworms. Here is an informative article. http://www.pharmj.com/pdf/cpd/pj_200...asiticworm.pdf
http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23068841/

Here is a photo. http://www.mcneilhealth.co.uk/family...threadworm.jpg

I personally wouldn't worry about it.

Pat
Pat, you just rock. You always come through with a good link! Thank you for that info, really. I loved Panel 4 in that first link, it said that infestation with parasites is actually the normal human condition, evolutionarily speaking. And how they are even infesting people with worms on purpose to treat UC. That is really what makes sense, I mean, we have so many microbes that we have to live symbiotically with that we don't even know are on our skin, in our bodies, etc.

I think I am going to not worry about it for now, thank you.

I don't know what to do about the food/fiber thing. Both of the boys have had near-perfect stools for almost a week, and then over the last few days had some more things like cooked onions, more cooked carrots, avocado, and they both had funky stools this morning. Soft, in a lot of little pieces and/or different shapes, a large volume of stool. I don't know. They do well on meat, bananas, eggs, zucchini, green beans, coconut oil, and olive oil. When I add in anything beyond that their stools are off again.
#984 of 1043 Old 02-19-2009, 02:27 PM

bumping!

#985 of 1043 Old 02-19-2009, 02:29 PM

I think we should sticky this thread. Or maybe compile bits and pieces of it for a sticky. It's such a great reference.

#986 of 1043 Old 03-23-2009, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone! I've been seriously AWOL for months. I haven't read many pages of this thread but do intend to. I'm just letting you all know that I'm just completing my yeast/fungi page on my website. I am also looking for experimental people, guinea pigs, if you will. Let me know if you'd like to participate.

Anyway, here is the link to my site, from there, click on Yeast and Fungi and Mycotoxins, Oh My at the top of the page in the menu area: Sagacious Mama

I haven't finished the yeast page, you'll notice. My site has been a big undertaking as it is predominately evidence based. It's one thing to make a claim but entirely another to back it up. This takes time and resources. But it is worth it as it separates my site from the masses making alternative claims with no substance. My cancer page is closer to finished, and I think my SIDS page is done. My asthma page is wicked! My pride and joy But in general, the site is still a work in progress but I realised I had to link it anyway or it will never get done. This will motivate me.

Hunger is political.  Wherever there is widespread hunger, it is because people with guns are preventing other people from bringing in food.  
#987 of 1043 Old 03-23-2009, 06:22 PM

Hey- she's back! I was just wondering about you the other day. How's your little guy doing these days?

#988 of 1043 Old 03-23-2009, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was worried that you were banned or something. I almost asked this morning on the chat thread.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#989 of 1043 Old 03-23-2009, 08:07 PM

Jacqueline instituted a chat thread, where we get to chat about this and that, sometimes allergies-related and sometimes not. Come on over and share how you've been. Sounds like a cool website.
#990 of 1043 Old 04-02-2009, 08:29 PM

Hi wise women! I need help QUICK and I hope y’all can give me some good advice.

My yeast battles began before my c-section…about 12 years ago. Well, actually, they began in high school, but I didn’t get a diagnoses until I was in my early 20’s (I’m now 34). Before that, I had hayfever, super heavy, long periods…two weeks on, two weeks off. My dear mom, trying to help me and putting her trust in our doctor, took me to one who put me on birth control pills to regulate the periods. Then, came the extreme emotional swings….almost bi-polar-like, now that I look back on it. …And soon after, the cystic adult onset acne (perfectly coincided with the beginning of my college freshman year). Then the doctors had me on antibiotics for a couple of years….which led to ulcers, hives, prednisone, UTI’s and all kinds of other problems. I moved out to Oregon (I’m a Midwest girl) after graduation and found a naturopathic doctor who diagnosed me with Candida overgrowth. My family made fun of me and called me Anita with Candida….ha, ha. He prescribed me Nystatin and told me to avoid certain foods and that was it. The acne continued and I randomly went to an acupuncture clinic at the Oriental College in Portland. They sent me to the herbal clinic, they made up my own, customized prescription of roots/barks/berries and other assorted herbs which literally cured the acne within a week! I was also told to avoid dairy, wheat, alcohol, sugar, and anything that would provoke my "damp heat". I have continued to use TCM for the last 11 years with much success and have had several cleanses with colonics. I’ve had some irritable bowel issues and problems with my focus, but nothing too unbearable. I have eaten a mostly organic, free range diet for the past 12 years and have moved to a Nourishing Traditions diet in the last year.

Then I became pregnant almost 2 years ago. My pregnancy went great….I seemed to tolerate foods that used to make me gassy or constipated. I had acupuncture every month and ate super healthy, attended a Bradley Method series of classes and had an intentionally natural pregnancy. I did get diagnosed with a bacterial vaginal infection in the 3rd trimester, but I refused antibiotics and upped my dose of probiotics and took some herbs prescribed by my TCM doc. They tested me for it again in a couple of weeks and it was gone.

About a month and ½ before my due date, I received some very disappointing and utterly sorrowful news….my baby was breech and NOONE would even attempt to let me labor to see if she’d turn. I had to have a c-section. Despite the complete pain and loss I knew I would feel from not delivering vaginally, I also knew that my baby would not get the beneficial bacteria through my canal and that I would have to have lots of medicine/including antibiotics and pain-relievers after the surgery. Boy…this was the toughest ordeal I had to accept. I hadn’t taken any “mainstream” medication since the Nystatin 12 years prior and thought I’d be able to avoid getting a c-section by choosing a midwife group.

So, since the birth of my beautiful, joy of my life, baby girl, she has suffered from a slew of yeast problems……cradle cap, red/itchy/burning in her creases, severe eczema (all over her chest/back/arms and legs), and persistent diaper rash. Despite no vaccinations, she has still had several colds and contracted Roseola a couple of months ago.

So, here is why I need help fast! Acupuncture/herbs has helped her some. Probiotics, CLO, and my elimination of certain foods (gluten, sugar, nuts, fruit, dairy…except butter and yogurt) have helped with the eczema tremendously. 2 months ago, when the eczema subsided, DD got a diaper rash AND…..she STILL has it! I’ve tried everything natural and not under the sun! It keeps her up all night long and diaper changes are a wrestling match to keep her from digging her yoni. It seems to flare up at times…gets a deep, scalding red with some pimply marks….looks very painful. So, I’ve been reading this thread over the past week and decided that we need to kill the yeasty beasties! OH…and I have had a sore in my nose since her birth that will not go away! Also...bad gas and bloating returned with a vengeance until I gave up all gluten and sugar and alcohol.

I went to the doctor today and got a prescription for topical and oral suspension Nystatin. She wants me to give her 500,000 IU 4 times a day…which is a lot more than Calm recommended at the beginning of this thread. Actually, she recommended Nilstat…is Nystatin OK for a one year old and what should the dosage be? She wouldn’t prescribe me any and said I didn’t have a yeast problem. I figured I could use some of DD and just lower her dosage. She weighs about 23 pds. I bought some oil of oregano and UDOs enzymes. I have some Garden of Life CLO and some Nature’s Way Primadophilus Children, Optima and Intensive probiotics. I do not yet have the Oxygen Elements (is Cell Food or Essential Oxygen OK?) or Threelac (do I even need this in addition to the others). I have some ConcenTrace minerals that I’m going to take too. I want to get this started ASAP because DD is in such obvious pain/discomfort. Hopefully, the topical Nystatin will help, but I need to target the gut.

Please help! I know this is a long post, but I figured I’d give y’all the whole scoop so you wouldn’t have to ask lots of questions. Can you give me your perspective…does this sound like a good plan? What dosages should I use on these products? Thank you so much for bearing with my long post!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page