Eczema: How to stop the ITCH?! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 31 Old 08-09-2008, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking for some sort of anti-itch product to put on my dd's last remaining patches of eczema. She just claws at her ankles and keeps the cracks open and bleeding. The skin doesn't even have the change to heal. There has got to be something out there that can quell the itch overnight.

Dd's eczema history in a nutshell: started at 2 months; patches on face, chest, stomach, ankles, wrists, fingers, feet, and in arm and knee pits; numerous elimination diets (both me and her) failed to identify triggers; numerous allergy tests failed to identify triggers; use of OTC steroid cream ineffective; use of bactroban; use of prescription steroid cream effective until we reduced the dosage; use of all the below listed creams/salves/oils with some results; experimenting with bath, clothes, detergents, cleaning routines; and finally the one thing that worked- a homeopathic remedy. After going off the steroids we administered a remedy specific to her (we went through the whole 3 hour interview) and within two days her skin had cleared. When she is ill or teething just her ankles and knee pits flare and it is during these times that I need something to kill that #$%#[email protected]*$ itch. She can't stay alseep, which exacerbates the itch. If I use anything that suppresses the eczema (steroids, antihistamines) I run the risk of undoing her homeopathic remedy. I cannot risk this because we cannot go back to the severity of her eczema pre-remedy. Not to mention that I really don't want to use these products on her anyway.

Here are things I have already tried:
A wide variety of calendula based salves
TTO salves
Shikai borage lotion
Apricot oil
Herbal Ed's salve
Dercut cream
MyChelle Ex-zema Balm
Baking soda bath/oatmeal bath
Arbonne ABC oil and lotions
Norske cream (though I only had enough to try for 3 days)
Alba Un-petroleum jelly
Eucerin and aquaphor (unfortunately)
Urtica urens homeopathic
Florasone homeopathic cream
Carlson's fish oil (even though we are vegetarians! Talk about being desperate)
Bentonite Clay

Here are the things I do not want to use:
Steroid creams
Elidel or other questionable non-steroidal prescriptions
Petroleum products (preferably)
Benadryl cream
Other antihistamines like Zyrtec

Okay, other things I've found in previous threads are Neem oil, shea butter, grapeseed oil, vanicream (doesn't this contain petroleum?), Carolla's beeswax skin creme, and Weleda or Nelson's calendula creams. I would love to hear comments on these products and any other suggestions!!

TIA!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 31 Old 08-09-2008, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ds and I have had big problems with eczema, I use Emu oil on us. It is healing and has antimicrobial properties. Hope your homeopathic remedy is a success!

We create our own reality.
#3 of 31 Old 08-09-2008, 09:41 PM

I just gave my MIL homeopathic calendula (by boiron) for her eczema and she said it's helped her better than anything she has tried.

#4 of 31 Old 08-09-2008, 10:04 PM

I don't know if it quells itch immediately, but I've been impressed with Emily's Skin Soother.

I'll tell you what we do for our kiddo:
*Vanicream twice/day (it's probably petrol., but it's the best moisturizer we've found and we've tried EVERYTHING.)
*1 bath for 20 minutes, making sure to keep all parts wet the whole time, evening moisturizing quickly after the bath.
*1% hydrocortisone on his face twice/day and on other little patches if they pop up.
*homeopathy from our homeopath. he's fine with us doing the steroid, because he knows it's important for our son to not be miserable.

Before we got the eczema under control, he was an itchy, pathetic mess. To actually heal it, we did the steroid AND a triple-antibiotic, because the derm. told us he had a super-infection on the weeping eczema. maybe the trip-anti will help your daughter, even w/o the steroid?

The other thing that really helped his arms and legs was "wet wrapping". This might be right up your alley, because i think it will work fine even without medication, or with minimal medication. The idea is that the skin, in eczema people, doesn't know how to retain moisture properly. So you reteach it. This is how:
1) 20 minute bath where you keep the affected parts wet the whole time (like pouring water over the arms every minute if they're not immersed).
2) quickly after the bath, lock in the moisture with a good moisturizer. If you are willing to use a little steroid, even an OTC, like 1%, you can put it on the hot spots and it will work MUCH better with this method. use an ointment, as opposed to a lotion, because it will stay on better.
3) take some cotton clothes (pjs, stretch pants and a long sleeved shirt, etc.) that are tight fitting, but not uncomfy, and soak them in warm water and put them on. (yes, really!)
4) put fleece pjs on over, to keep the water in and not wicking onto everything immediately.
5) Keep this stuff on for 2 hours, minimum (we've done it overnight) and then remove. If you want, you can remoisturize afterwards.

do this for a few days and see where you are. If the hot spots are better, but not gone, you can continue. We did it for a few weeks, i think, but i don't really remember. When we were done, we had no eczema on his body and it's basically stayed gone since then (we did it last fall/winter).

This is the technique that is taught as a standard for eczema patients at National Jewish in Denver. I may not have it exactly right as they teach it, but this is what we did and it worked well. We're trying to figure out a way to do it to his head/face!

Good luck. I know how horrible it is when they're so itchy and sleep and life are so negatively affected!
#5 of 31 Old 08-09-2008, 10:08 PM

Another vote for Vanicream.
#6 of 31 Old 08-09-2008, 10:11 PM

oh, 2 other things:
1) Look at the Unda homeopathic ointment:

2) a couple questions for you:
a) What remedy is it that helped your daughter so much???
b) how old was she when she was helped by the homeopathy, and
c) How long had the eczema been effectively suppressed by the steroid (before you reduced the dosage)???

Your kiddo sounds very much like our son, and we really would love to take steroids out of his routine. we HATE them. but we hated the eczema worse.
#7 of 31 Old 08-09-2008, 10:44 PM

Here’s a new voice for you who are trying to find some stuff for the eczema to go away: Eczema is a symptom of your immune system not working in a harmony. You need to find what is causing it.

Start food diary and see if any food will make the eczema worse/fade.
If you are nursing, you need log what you are eating. Everybody is different, so their list will differ, but these are the biggies:

Gluten
Sugar (of all forms)
Dairy
#8 of 31 Old 08-09-2008, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencat View Post
You need to find what is causing it.

If you are nursing, you need log what you are eating. Everybody is different, so their list will differ, but these are the biggies:

Gluten
Sugar (of all forms)
Dairy
Yeah, definitely foods can be a contributing factor. We did a total elimination diet, and got a CAP-RAST test. our son is RAST positive to egg, milk, wheat, soy, peanuts, other nuts, goat milk, cats, dogs, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds...and some other stuff. he never gets any of his allergens, but even when we were only eating 6 foods, he still had eczema. Food can be a cause, or a contributor, but sometimes there's just eczema. Definitely worth it to get an allergy test, though, yep.
#9 of 31 Old 08-09-2008, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by karin95 View Post
2) a couple questions for you:
a) What remedy is it that helped your daughter so much???
b) how old was she when she was helped by the homeopathy, and
c) How long had the eczema been effectively suppressed by the steroid (before you reduced the dosage)???

Your kiddo sounds very much like our son, and we really would love to take steroids out of his routine. we HATE them. but we hated the eczema worse.
a) After the three hour interview (with me, not dd since she was just 6 months old at the time), our homeopath decided on Calcarea carbonica. We had to special order the 3X potency since dd is so sensitive. We have dosed her several times and each time she flared the next day and then a little more of her eczema went away for good over the following days. I know there are only a few remedies that are routinely prescribed for infants/toddlers, but to get the one that is right for your ds, you'll want to consult a licensed homeopath.
b) She was 11.5 months old when the remedy worked
c) We had been supressing dd's eczema with OTC hydrocortisone off and on for about four months (starting at 4 months of age). After an appointment with a pedi allergist when she was 8 months, we more aggressively treated it was prescription steroid cream and bactroban for about 1.5-2 months. We tried reducing the dosage (which started at 3x/day) during this time, but the eczema flared each time we did. Then in preparation for allergy testing, we had to go off the steroid for 2 weeks. After the testing we kept off it for another week (3 in total) before successfully dosing her with her homeopathic remedy. We know this amount of time (give or take) was necessary because we had tried dosing her when she was about 6 months old after she had only been off the steroid for a about a week and the remedy did nothing. Her system had to be fully expressive for the remedy to do its job. It took us those next five months to finally get up the courage to go off the steroid and really give the remedy a shot. I think a lot of it had to do with the failure of all my elimination diets and all the allergy testing. Those things were experiences we had to go through before finally coming to the point where we could say, yes, let's let your eczema fully flare because nothing is fully working. I didn't want to risk the life long consequences of prolonged steroid usage, either. I know it's not clinically supported, but ancedotally, many people will tell you that suppressing eczema can cause asthma. This is in fact the case for my sister and she says she prefers to deal with her eczema at this point than have asthma (which has gone away now that she no longer suppresses her eczema).

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#10 of 31 Old 08-09-2008, 11:25 PM

karin95: It will take a while to get your body rid of stuff that was not digested well, let's say, like gluten. You need to find what you need to avoid more specifically, if you can. Taking a food diary is the way I found most of it, and it is more accurate. You need to play a detective a little, but write down the change and reactions in your journal. Taking processed food out of your diet will make it more simple.

Also, you need to look into expanding your food you can eat. Look into making cultured food at home, and start eating them slowly. Bone broth, veggie juice are also excellent way to boost your nutrition value.

Look into Alkaline Diet and start eating foods that you can on the list of Alkaline Diet. Drinking a filtered water with fresh lemon is a must.
#11 of 31 Old 08-09-2008, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Here’s a new voice for you who are trying to find some stuff for the eczema to go away: Eczema is a symptom of your immune system not working in a harmony. You need to find what is causing it.

Gluten
Sugar (of all forms)
Dairy
I appreciate your sentiment and would have totally agreed with you 11 months ago. But, all I can say now is been there, done that. For a LONG time. Through all my food diaries and all my elimination diets (me and dd), there was NO pattern. None. We did all the biggies (all 8) and more including salicylates. She just had a base level of eczema that never went away. All the allergy tests she had conflicted and we had a lot: RAST, prick (twice), patch, IgG/IgE ELISA test, and NAET.

What's causing it is an imbalance that has almost righted itself with her homeopathic remedy. Her gut may also be maturing as she grows. What I need for her now is something to get rid of the itch so she can finally sleep and really heal. Her eczema is always better after nights she manages to sleep longer blocks.

I just got off the phone with my homeopath and she said that Neem oil is worth a shot and even though it may interfere with her remedy it will not antidote her remedy like an anti-histamine or steroid would. I'm excited to get some tomorrow!

#12 of 31 Old 08-09-2008, 11:32 PM

I've heard of Neem oil. Let us know, if it helps to calm down the skin.
#13 of 31 Old 08-10-2008, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I've heard of Neem oil. Let us know, if it helps to calm down the skin.
I definitely will update this thread when we try the Neem for a few nights. I also just found out that manuca honey is made by bees that feed on the Neem plant. So for those of you that have had some success with manuca honey, you might want to try straight Neem oil.

#14 of 31 Old 08-10-2008, 10:56 AM

Hey, this is great. We are experimenting with raw honey right now. I get mine from local bee keeper. I just picked 'wild flower' but looking for various honey. My kids are itch free now : and have been for a long time, but we'll see...

thanks!
#15 of 31 Old 08-10-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
karin95: It will take a while to get your body rid of stuff that was not digested well, let's say, like gluten. You need to find what you need to avoid more specifically, if you can. Taking a food diary is the way I found most of it, and it is more accurate. You need to play a detective a little, but write down the change and reactions in your journal. Taking processed food out of your diet will make it more simple.

Also, you need to look into expanding your food you can eat. Look into making cultured food at home, and start eating them slowly. Bone broth, veggie juice are also excellent way to boost your nutrition value.

Look into Alkaline Diet and start eating foods that you can on the list of Alkaline Diet. Drinking a filtered water with fresh lemon is a must.
This is good food for thought, but not for our particular situation at this time. As I said, we did a total elimination diet (we ate 6 foods, total) for a few months. Then we added one food at a time, with about a week in between, sometimes more. We watched for any reaction from our son (who is the one with the eczema, but we're bf'ing). We currently eat a good variety of foods, and are very careful about x-contamination (he's wheat allergic, so we use gluten-free oats, for example).
We were whole-foods eating people before our son arrived, so we're very versed in eating healthfully. Which was fortunate, because it has been helpful during this journey that none of the foods we were eating (teff, rice syrup, nutritional yeast, etc.) were new to us. And we've put our grain grinder through a lot in the past year, as we grind our own flour from safe grains.

Anyway, I'm glad that you found so much help through a food journal. We had to take the plunge and do the TED, because our son was so young and it's so hard to see cause-effect with eczema, and we needed him to have relief ASAP.
#16 of 31 Old 08-11-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Eczema is a symptom of your immune system not working in a harmony. You need to find what is causing it.
Have you tried chiropractic?
Since eczema/allergies are the results of an immune system that is not properly functioning the best way to try to heal things is to help boost the immune system over time. My dh, fil and bil are all chiros and I firmly believe in it. We take ds to get checked three times a week. He does not always need to be adjusted, but we are really trying to keep him on this schedule to see how it works. It has been proven to help so many types of problems that regular meds will just cover up, kwim? It takes time, but I feel in the long run it will truly pay off. I want to find the root of his problem, not just cover it with meds! I also agree with others about the Vanicream and that is what is used at Johns Hopkins too. It is a good moisturizer. I have been trying to do CLO, probiotics faithfully for us too and have been told that this will take about 6mos to take effect. We are going to start a digestive enzyme too.
Calendula works well for itching too
hth Good luck!
#17 of 31 Old 08-11-2008, 11:31 AM

I would LOVE to be able to take my kids to the chiro 3x/week. Or to try CST. Or to see the CMP here. Or to try all the various oils and creams and homeopathics.

But all that stuff costs money. Usually lots of it. And we really can't afford any of it. I get so frustrated. There are so many different treatments that I am open and willing to try, but I can't because it costs and arm and a leg (not covered by insurance; our insurance is craptacular anyway).

So, for now, we try stuff at home. Right now we have fairly good success with unpetroleum jelly at night. But it has to be reapplied several times throughout the night - she wakes up crying and itching a few times. The cream takes the sting out of the itch. But it doesn't stop the itching, necessarily. And it definitely doesn't cure the eczema. For us, I mean.

We actually have an appt with our FP tomorrow because I think it has perhaps developed into a skin infection. So great. We have a kid with food intolerances and eczema and we may have to put her an abx. I am so fed up with all of this. I wish I could help her, but I feel like my hands are tied. We have all of these fantastic alternative practitioners around here and I can try one every couple months at most (and we don't even really have the money for that - FIL ends up "loaning" us money). Right now we're waiting to get in to see the CMP...

Sorry this turned into my rant. I just really feel your pain.

Nessa, DD1 (5) DD2 (3) & expecting again in late February/early March!
#18 of 31 Old 08-11-2008, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
I vote for Carolla's, it is the only topical cream that ever help my itching. I recommended once to a woman who was having chemo which was causing her legs to itch horribly, it worked for her too.

I am Rhome
#19 of 31 Old 08-11-2008, 12:18 PM

I've been dealing with eczema off and on all my life, on myself and on 3 of the 4 of my children. There really is NOTHING that takes away the itch without clearing the eczema.

That said, what helped immensely for those last stubborn patches of eczema on my daughters wrist were wet wraps. What you do for that is to apply moisturizers as usual, the wrap the affected part in wet, sterile guaze, and then either wrap a layer of dry gauze over it, or cover it with a clean sock (this works well for hands and ankles/feet).

For the torso and arms and legs, you can do the same thing using a couple of layers of clean cotton pajamas... just make sure they've been washed in a fragrance free laundry soap.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if you have a raw or cracked patch of eczema, ANYTHING that you put on it is going to sting, burn and make it itch initially... sometimes even just water will do that. Anything with any acidic or astringent quality to it moreso.

My oldest son and my daughter had severe eczema for years... the spots on their ankles and wrists were the hardest to get rid of, and they actually have spots on their skin where they have pigment loss from it.

As an FYI, things like dander allergies, pollen allergies, dust mite allergies and other enivironmental allergies can be just as much of a culprit in eczema as food allergies. If you suspect food allergies, particularly to nuts, peanuts, milk or oats, read the labels of moisturizers carefully. Quite a few natural and not so natural ones contain nut oils, or products derived from oats or milk.
#20 of 31 Old 08-12-2008, 11:41 PM

We've been using TheraNeem Cream for a bit now. It's expensive, so I only use it on inflammed spots a few tims a day. The rest of the time I use shea butter (Now brand, I think, too lazy to go get the pot). I really don't know if it's helped, but it's not doing any harm, and it keeps him moisturized. I'd rather use a moisturizer that is supposed to take the inflammation away as well as moisturize.

Funny, I was about to post about what to do about the itch as well. We got an ELISA test a couple of months ago and I started the rotation diet maybe 6 weeks ago. Around the same time we started chiro treatment, and my DS's skin has improved slowly but surely. A few days ago, he still had a bit on his face and calves/feet (where he itches the most because I can't keep socks on him!). He started Zyrtec before we got the test results back and is still on it because he still itches. It's gotten worse the past few days and DH wants to take him to an allergist, but I'm trying to convince him to be patient. Our holistic pedi thinks an allergist would just try to get us to give him steroid cream, and I tend to agree. I would love to have him off the Zyrtec, as would DH - he is really worried about severe itching as a withdrawl symptom.

That all being said, I think a lot of the itching is psychological. The chiro did some emotional clearing and started him on a Bach's flower essence (mustard), and his sleep has definitely improved (and he laughs a lot more! . I think it's become a calming/coping mechanism, unfortunately.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I don't think the itching will really go away until the eczema goes away. I second the rec for chiropractic! Good luck!
#21 of 31 Old 08-17-2008, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeymama View Post
We've been using TheraNeem Cream for a bit now. It's expensive, so I only use it on inflammed spots a few tims a day. The rest of the time I use shea butter (Now brand, I think, too lazy to go get the pot).
Thanks for mentioning this cream. I don't know why I didn't think to look online for other TheraNeem products. The cream looks highly preferrable to the straight oil. Where did you buy it? The Neem oil may have helped slightly, but it was so smelly I had to post a separate thread to figure out how to mask the smell! I think that when I coated her ankles and then covered it in socks and babylegs a lot of the oil was getting absorbed by her clothes and not her skin. A cream version might work a lot better.

A couple of you have mentioned your Zyrtec use. This was recommended by her ped, nightly. I am too afraid to start it for two reasons. One, it will antidote her remedy and two, building a reliance on the drug. How many of you have had this latter experience? Do they become reliant on it and once you stop the itching comes back worse?

#22 of 31 Old 08-18-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post
Thanks for mentioning this cream. I don't know why I didn't think to look online for other TheraNeem products. The cream looks highly preferrable to the straight oil. Where did you buy it? The Neem oil may have helped slightly, but it was so smelly I had to post a separate thread to figure out how to mask the smell! I think that when I coated her ankles and then covered it in socks and babylegs a lot of the oil was getting absorbed by her clothes and not her skin. A cream version might work a lot better.

A couple of you have mentioned your Zyrtec use. This was recommended by her ped, nightly. I am too afraid to start it for two reasons. One, it will antidote her remedy and two, building a reliance on the drug. How many of you have had this latter experience? Do they become reliant on it and once you stop the itching comes back worse?
I buy the cream at Sprouts and Whole Foods (or Whole Paycheck as a friend calls it! ) Sam price at both places, though.

I'm really wanting to stop the Zyrtec after reading your post, DH even more because he's afraid of withdrawl itching, but I do think it's helping some and the only option is going to Benadryl 3 times a day instead of 1 dose. We've forgotten a dose ocasionally and it may be in our heads, but he seems to itch more. Dunno if it's withdrawl or he really itches that much.
#23 of 31 Old 08-18-2008, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I buy the cream at Sprouts and Whole Foods (or Whole Paycheck as a friend calls it! )

I'm really wanting to stop the Zyrtec after reading your post, DH even more because he's afraid of withdrawl itching, but I do think it's helping some and the only option is going to Benadryl 3 times a day instead of 1 dose. We've forgotten a dose ocasionally and it may be in our heads, but he seems to itch more. Dunno if it's withdrawl or he really itches that much.
Thanks for letting me know where you buy it! We have Whole Foods here, so I will definitely check it out.

That's the thing about these medications that suppress the eczema symptoms- once you stop them it all comes back worse than before. I was so afraid of going off the steroid in preparation for dd's allergy testing, but it turned out to the best thing we did! We prepared for it with lots of creams and mentally geared up for long nights. It flared and it was bad, but then it calmed down and was manageable enough and that's how we were able to give her the homeopathic remedy. With the chiropractic work you're doing, I wonder if it can have its full effect while you're suppressing. My homeopath says when you suppress one symptom, the body will express the illness somewhere else. This is why steroid use for eczema has been linked to asthma development- the illness can no longer express itself through the skin, so it goes internal. This idea is what I always tell myself every time I'm exhausted and tempted to use an antihistamine or a steroid.

This is a tough battle!

#24 of 31 Old 08-18-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:

That's the thing about these medications that suppress the eczema symptoms- once you stop them it all comes back worse than before. I was so afraid of going off the steroid in preparation for dd's allergy testing, but it turned out to the best thing we did! We prepared for it with lots of creams and mentally geared up for long nights. It flared and it was bad, but then it calmed down and was manageable enough and that's how we were able to give her the homeopathic remedy. With the chiropractic work you're doing, I wonder if it can have its full effect while you're suppressing. My homeopath says when you suppress one symptom, the body will express the illness somewhere else. This is why steroid use for eczema has been linked to asthma development- the illness can no longer express itself through the skin, so it goes internal. This idea is what I always tell myself every time I'm exhausted and tempted to use an antihistamine or a steroid.

This is a tough battle!
I hope the Neem cream works for you. I've also ben using the Renew lotion from Melalleuca, and the skin on his legs where he's been scratching a lot seems smoother and softer, but he also may be getting over the "relapse" he had last weekend. I've been trying to conving DH that patience is the name of the game.

Our pedi convinced us to do Zyrtec because of the scratch itch cycle..the more he scratched, the worse he itched, and we were desperate to give him some relief from the itching. I don't know if I mentioned this earlier, but we per the chiro we are giving him Bach's Mustard Flower Essence, and that seems to be helping him a lot. He's definitely been sleeping longer stretches with it. It's made me want to look further at other homeopathic remedies; I just need to find a homeopath and convince DH. I've heard enough that I don't want to try a remedy with9ut a homeopath's advice, afraid I would just be wasting time and money and energy.

Anyway, to you too, it sure is tough sometimes, but I've been seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. It's hard waiting for it, though!
#25 of 31 Old 08-22-2008, 11:24 PM

Quote:
a) After the three hour interview (with me, not dd since she was just 6 months old at the time), our homeopath decided on Calcarea carbonica.
That's funny (but not surprising...) the most recent remedy our homeopath has our son on is Cal Carb, as well. And it seems a really great match for him at this point. Our homeopath is not a "classical homeopath", so it's not just one dose. He takes a dose twice/day until the bottle is gone (it's the remedy diluted in spring water and given by the dropperful. Maybe because of this method of giving it, he doesn't feel that you can *negate* or reverse the effects of the remedy by eating something particular. He doesn't love that we use the steroid, but he says the remedy is still working.

He has suggested a one-shot dose of a high potency Cal Carb and, given your suggestion, we're thinking about trying it (after weaning him off the steroid so the Cal Carb can do it's thing as well as possible and we can actually see if there's a change.)

Quote:
b) She was 11.5 months old when the remedy worked
Interesting. Our kiddo is 19 months old and been on various homeopathies since about 6? months...?

Quote:
This is in fact the case for my sister and she says she prefers to deal with her eczema at this point than have asthma (which has gone away now that she no longer suppresses her eczema).
Wow. I've never heard that you can REVERSE the asthma caused by suppressing the eczema.

We really want to wet wrap some more (and get his head/face somehow!) and get him off the steroid! It's so hard because the eczema bothers him so much and it's so hard on him...but we do know that the steroid gets it under congtrol really quickly, so if we have to give up, then we can...
#26 of 31 Old 08-23-2008, 12:41 AM

Quote:
This is the technique that is taught as a standard for eczema patients at National Jewish in Denver. I may not have it exactly right as they teach it, but this is what we did and it worked well. We're trying to figure out a way to do it to his head/face!
Ski mask. Make one out of cotton knit/interlock. Top with a fleece ski mask. I wouldn't sleep in it, but maybe convince him it's a game in the evening?

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#27 of 31 Old 08-23-2008, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
He doesn't love that we use the steroid, but he says the remedy is still working.

He has suggested a one-shot dose of a high potency Cal Carb and, given your suggestion, we're thinking about trying it (after weaning him off the steroid so the Cal Carb can do it's thing as well as possible and we can actually see if there's a change.)
Do you feel that the remedy is working? It seems to me, impossible, for the remedy to do its job while the symptoms are being suppressed. The remedy is asking the body to express the eczema fully to rid him of it while the steriod is pushing it down further into the body. These two things are working in direct opposition. I'm so surprised that your homeopath doesn't agree.

I would totally encourage you to go for the higher, single dose after stopping the steroid for about 3 weeks, 2 at the least.

Quote:
Interesting. Our kiddo is 19 months old and been on various homeopathies since about 6? months...?
This is what leads me to believe that you just can't get the effect of the remedy while suppressing. Of course, you were on a different remedy at the time, so that may have had a lot to do with it, too.

Quote:
Wow. I've never heard that you can REVERSE the asthma caused by suppressing the eczema.

We really want to wet wrap some more (and get his head/face somehow!) and get him off the steroid! It's so hard because the eczema bothers him so much and it's so hard on him...but we do know that the steroid gets it under congtrol really quickly, so if we have to give up, then we can...
I couldn't really believe it either, but my sister was plagued by asthma her whole life and suddenly there she is running. Running! No issues with breathing. Of course, her hands and face are now plagued with eczema, but like I said, she prefers it. I think it gets harder and harder to figure out what's causing the eczema as you get older. She just hasn't been able to pin down any obvious triggers and her remedy didn't work.

Good luck going off the steroid. It will get worse at first, but we found that it calmed down a bit after a few days. We just kept slathering her in oils and creams all day and all night (maybe try that TheraNeem cream!)- covering her in socks and babylegs, long sleeved shirts, etc. It was hard, but if you can just get through it, his remedy might work within days of dosing and that could be it!! You have to find out. Please let us all know how it goes.

#28 of 31 Old 08-23-2008, 11:06 PM

I am going to add a few ideas here that helped for DS and me. We had similar situations-eczema, itching, nothing worked, we tried it all, TED, various eliminated diets. DS no longer has any patches of eczema and I have flair up here and there because I eat more foods I know I shouldn't and experiment with supplements.

In short here are our triggers:
Sulphur/phenols related to PST enzyme function (phenolsulfotransferase) I take Molybdenum and no-fenol enzymes

oxalates: we don't process them well and eating too much makes us itchy. We take VSL#3 probiotic which breaks it down, avoid high oxalate foods and take vitamin K2. I cannot take probiotics near food at all, it has to be separated 2 hrs on each side.

Low iron/anemia: still working on this one! Found out that Vitamin A triggers the liver to release stored iron

Thyroid: after being on all these elimination diets and using sea salt my body needed Iodide. I supplement with potassium iodide NOT Lugol's.

Improper fat digestion/usage-this was possibly the biggest issue we had-these are mitochondrial problems, cells were not using fats as energy. There are a bunch of supplements associated with this the 2 biggest are L-carnitine (which I have to take at every meal) and CoQ10.

So now that we can digest fats, I was able to add in fish oil, vit A, Vit D, DHA I added them all separately to get proper dosage, all from fish oil. Going to try CLO next so I don't have to take separately. If I do not take carnitine with these fats my eczema starts right away on my fingers and heals.

Also as we healed and our systems got stronger we have been able to fight off infections that were living inside our bodies that our weak immune system couldn't take care of. Viruses, bacteria, yeast oh my.

I have to say I feel better now than I ever have in my life!

We create our own reality.
#29 of 31 Old 08-24-2008, 03:40 AM

Quote:
That all being said, I think a lot of the itching is psychological. The chiro did some emotional clearing and started him on a Bach's flower essence (mustard), and his sleep has definitely improved (and he laughs a lot more! . I think it's become a calming/coping mechanism, unfortunately.
To some extent I agree with you. With my oldest son, the scratching became a part of things that happened when he was tired or anxious. He stopped doing it about a year after we got his eczema under control... until then he was getting nightly doses of hydroxyzine or benedryl to keep the bedtime scratching at a minimum. Obviously not a popular choice with most posters here, but it's what worked the best for my child.

Now my child is a happy, healthy almost 11 year old with just small patches of eczema, but he has no problems falling to sleep at night.
#30 of 31 Old 08-24-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I would LOVE to be able to take my kids to the chiro 3x/week. Or to try CST. Or to see the CMP here. Or to try all the various oils and creams and homeopathics.
You'd be surprised how many traditional chiropractors would be willing to work with you if you had a suffering child. I know at least ten off hand that would probably do it at a smaller fee scale and would work with you to make it work for you. Don't rule it out.

I would love to know what emotional clearing is. What does that do and what does the chiropractor do? I have never heard of it.

Speaking as one who at the moment has opted to give Zyrtec too...it is totally a necessity for the moment until we are able to pinpoint the triggers more. I can't see him suffer any more than he has and something needs to be done to stop the cycle, kwim? My son scratches from being anxious and upset too. It has become a way of life for him and we are trying to break the association that he has made with it and it is working

I think that the more you know the better off you are

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page