leaky gut ?? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 10 Old 11-15-2008, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I was thinking this morning about leaky gut/reactions to breastmilk....my DD1 does not have any food allergies, and we all know whats going on with DD2, so the thinking would be something happened with my gut in this pregnancy, right? That now needs healing? (really, correct me if I'm wrong, I'm still learning!)

But my question is, since my DD1 nursed through that pregnancy and is now still nursing 1-2 times a day, why is only my DD2 reacting to the same milk they are both ingesting? Is it because DD1 is older and can tolerate food proteins? Is DD2 just already set up for allergies and would have reacted no matter what? (like to regular formula from birth if she was not breastfed?) Do we just not really know the answer? Or is it that my gut screwed her up during pregnancy and its not my milk per se??

Sorry, I think a lot when I'm laying in bed

mama to August May (8/06) Liberty Kiana (7/08) and Calliope Rose (6/15/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 11-15-2008, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

shameless bump??

mama to August May (8/06) Liberty Kiana (7/08) and Calliope Rose (6/15/10)
#3 of 10 Old 11-15-2008, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I believe all of the above except the last part about during pregnancy. That is my understanding. There is discussion about how the fetus is affected by our grandmother's diet...but none of it warrants regrets or guilt, as it is useless and wasted energy. Spend your energy on the healing for you both, what a gift it is to finally learn what we can do to heal. Our children are our teachers.

Pat

I have a blog.

#4 of 10 Old 11-15-2008, 11:13 PM

several reasons....dd1 got the best of your stores and is in a better place nutritionally speaking. Her gut and immunity was formed before you had the subsequent pregnancy which could be the trigger for a damaged gut-the main reason being that most people don't bolster their stores before getting pregnant again. So, it is HIGHLY possible that you are leaking and that dd1 is non-reactive because her gut is already sealed.
#5 of 10 Old 11-15-2008, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I _think_ my understanding is similar. What I mean is... our health and lack thereof are on a sliding spectrum. Pregnancy and nursing are very draining nutritionally, it's hard to build up your stores enough after a first pregnancy/nursing to be just as "full" as for your second, and a specific stressful event in between would just exacerbate the situation. So when a specific health problem shows up, at least for me, was the culmination of a lot of things. So your first probably got a better start, I know my first did. Also, my two kids, at least, are predisposed to different problems. I mean--I have health problems that I shared with both, but they manifest very differently. My husband is prone to very different problems than I am, and my first takes after him, while my second takes after me.

It's hard to know for certain--except I'd say your milk is probably doing a whole lot more good than harm. I really believe, even with my health stuff, it was better to breastfeed my son (2nd child) than not.

As WuWei said so eloquently--our kids can help us figure out what we need for good health, and then in turn we help them grow up knowing what they need and knowing how to pay attention to their health and be strong and knowledgeable in taking care of themselves their whole lives.
#6 of 10 Old 11-16-2008, 12:19 AM

I guess I knew all that, but to see it in writing got me thinking.... that I am S.C.R.E.W.E.D. if I ever want to have another baby. I mean really, I can't even imagine my body being more screwed up any worse than it is right now (not to mention what bad shape the baby would be in!). I was really looking forward to DD having a sibling eventually too. :

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#7 of 10 Old 11-16-2008, 12:30 AM

Oh, honey. Anything can be healed. I got pregnant unintentionally after just a few years of healing WHILE breastfeeding. Just that small time was enough to create a difference. While ds2 isn't in perfect health, he's WAY better off than dd. I had no intention of having another child so I wasn't pursuing healing for that reason. I was healing though.

If you want another child, please be open to everything you need to heal to present itself. You can do this. I couldn't have been any sicker when I got pregnant with dd. Literally. I was non-functional most days and couldn't leave my house. Even so I did it and while it was hard and I had to do alot to heal dd, she is a lovely, lively little soul. She chose to be a part of this and to participate in our healing.

I'm not minimizing your experience, not by a longshot. I just want you to know that anything is possible. Don't shut yourself off to all of the possibilities.
#8 of 10 Old 11-16-2008, 12:31 AM

Thanks firefaery. That's encouraging to hear.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#9 of 10 Old 11-16-2008, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
Oh, honey. Anything can be healed. I got pregnant unintentionally after just a few years of healing WHILE breastfeeding. Just that small time was enough to create a difference. While ds2 isn't in perfect health, he's WAY better off than dd. I had no intention of having another child so I wasn't pursuing healing for that reason. I was healing though.

If you want another child, please be open to everything you need to heal to present itself. You can do this. I couldn't have been any sicker when I got pregnant with dd. Literally. I was non-functional most days and couldn't leave my house. Even so I did it and while it was hard and I had to do alot to heal dd, she is a lovely, lively little soul. She chose to be a part of this and to participate in our healing.

I'm not minimizing your experience, not by a longshot. I just want you to know that anything is possible. Don't shut yourself off to all of the possibilities.
Thanks so much for writing this... I too WANT another child. We ARE healing. Everything WILL work out. We HAVE to believe that it will. I too BELIEVE that our children choose us. This will ALL be worth it!

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#10 of 10 Old 11-16-2008, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Those are wonderfully encouraging words. And...no need to rush. My brother and I are 7 years apart! Not ideal for everyone but don't even stress about that now. Just continue the healing path and when another babe starts to grow you will do everything in your power to make him or her healthy knowing you have also done everything in your power to make yourself healthy. Sure, you may not be 100% but the world's not perfect and it WILL be okay.

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page