• 1 Post By Turquesa
  • 1 Post By Turquesa
  • 1 Post By blessedwithboys

#1 of 10 Old 08-27-2020, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What is the right age for orthodontics?

Hey, I’m new to this forum and hope I'm in the right place. Today, I'm here to seek a suggestion on orthodontics, because my niece suffers from crooked teeth. She is ten years old and very conscious of her appearance. She wasn't concerned about her crooked teeth until some of her friends started teasing her after seeing her photos. This became a serious issue for her, and I noticed her smile was fading. The teeth reduced her confidence, and it badly affects her academics too.
Then we consulted a dentist to find a solution to this problem. After examining her, he found orthodontics as a solution for her problem, and he added that it could be done as early as possible.
Right now, we are in a dilemma about whether to start her orthodontic treatment now itself or to do it after she turns 12.
I need some suggestions regarding the right time to start orthodontic treatment.
applejuice likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 08-27-2020, 12:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nice idea
applejuice likes this.
#3 of 10 Old 09-01-2020, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Get multiple opinions, and look into jaw expansion

That's so sad for your niece. We could tell that my son would need braces starting when he was pretty little, so we saw an orthodontist regularly for consultations. They would have been willing to start when he was 9 or 10, but he wasn't really very motivated yet. Their faces are still growing at that age, so if she gets braces now, she might end up needing 2 rounds of them--one now, and one after her face has fully developed.

The most important thing I would say to anyone considering braces is: get multiple opinions, and tell the orthodontists you don't want to remove any teeth! We consulted with 3 separate orthodontists who had 3 different approaches to treatment. It's more like an art than a science. The last orthodontist was willing to keep all my son's teeth to begin with, although he warned us that we might end up having to remove teeth eventually. Luckily, things worked out and DS still has all his teeth.

No criticism to anyone who has truly needed this done! But orthodontists get faster results if they remove some teeth at the beginning, so I think they're prone to recommending this even if it could be avoided.

If I were you, I would also try to find someone who could work with your niece's family to help her jaw grow and expand more. That would give her more room for her teeth. I read about Lightwire appliances, and I still don't know if that's a scam, but if you google it you can learn more about jaw expansion. Anything they can do to help her jaw expand even a little more than it would otherwise will help her teeth in the long run.
applejuice likes this.

#4 of 10 Old 09-01-2020, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaPippi View Post
That's so sad for your niece. We could tell that my son would need braces starting when he was pretty little, so we saw an orthodontist regularly for consultations. They would have been willing to start when he was 9 or 10, but he wasn't really very motivated yet. Their faces are still growing at that age, so if she gets braces now, she might end up needing 2 rounds of them--one now, and one after her face has fully developed.

The most important thing I would say to anyone considering braces is: get multiple opinions, and tell the orthodontists you don't want to remove any teeth! We consulted with 3 separate orthodontists who had 3 different approaches to treatment. It's more like an art than a science. The last orthodontist was willing to keep all my son's teeth to begin with, although he warned us that we might end up having to remove teeth eventually. Luckily, things worked out and DS still has all his teeth.

No criticism to anyone who has truly needed this done! But orthodontists get faster results if they remove some teeth at the beginning, so I think they're prone to recommending this even if it could be avoided.

If I were you, I would also try to find someone who could work with your niece's family to help her jaw grow and expand more. That would give her more room for her teeth. I read about Lightwire appliances, and I still don't know if that's a scam, but if you google it you can learn more about jaw expansion. Anything they can do to help her jaw expand even a little more than it would otherwise will help her teeth in the long run.
see the link in the OP? its an ad. theyre not really asking about braces.
applejuice likes this.

Bring back the old MDC
#5 of 10 Old 09-03-2020, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quoted: 2107 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Tom View Post
Hey, I’m new to this forum and hope I'm in the right place. Today, I'm here to seek a suggestion on orthodontics, because my niece suffers from crooked teeth. She is ten years old and very conscious of her appearance. She wasn't concerned about her crooked teeth until some of her friends started teasing her after seeing her photos. This became a serious issue for her, and I noticed her smile was fading. The teeth reduced her confidence, and it badly affects her academics too.
Then we consulted a dentist to find a solution to this problem. After examining her, he found orthodontics as a solution for her problem, and he added that it could be done as early as possible.
Right now, we are in a dilemma about whether to start her orthodontic treatment now itself or to do it after she turns 12.
I need some suggestions regarding the right time to start orthodontic treatment.
Our dentist wanted DD to wait until some teeth came out first. Maybe get a second opinion to make sure that all of the teeth that need to come out do? DD got her braces at age 12.
applejuice likes this.

I'm the crunchy mom Dr. Amy warned you about.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#teamvaxchoice
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP old MDC. We miss you!
#6 of 10 Old 09-03-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post
see the link in the OP? its an ad. theyre not really asking about braces.
Did they take the link out?
applejuice likes this.

#teamvaxchoice

#7 of 10 Old 09-03-2020, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post
Did they take the link out?
No, it's still there and it links to a dentist in Canada.
applejuice likes this.

Bring back the old MDC
#8 of 10 Old 09-04-2020, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post
No, it's still there and it links to a dentist in Canada.
It doesn't show up on my feed at all. I think you're getting it on yours as automated targeted advertising, but the OP isn't the one who put it up.

#teamvaxchoice

#9 of 10 Old 09-04-2020, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post
It doesn't show up on my feed at all. I think you're getting it on yours as automated targeted advertising, but the OP isn't the one who put it up.
I can see the link too. Mouse over the word "dentist" in the second paragraph.
#10 of 10 Old 09-17-2020, 09:11 PM

Thanks - I took that to be the OP just saying which dentist they used. It seems silly to advertise a single dentist in Ontario on an international message board. I live thousands of miles from there, lol! Maybe the OP @Bella Tom can clarify.

#teamvaxchoice

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page