Young Toddler Separation Anxiety... - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 11-23-2009, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know separation anxiety is common among babies and toddlers... but my DS has recently been having it for DH. When DH leaves in the morning, he starts crying. He runs to the window periodically through the day crying for "DADA"... and when I try to get him to take naps he cries for "Dada Nigh-night".......... Saturday DH was doing some yardwork and DS was crying at the window for him the whole time (obviously I was trying to distract/comfort him but he kept going back to the window).

I know there isn't too much I can do about it, and I'm glad that he loves his Daddy so much! I did not have a good relationship with my father, so it is really wonderful how attached DS and DH are. My DH is a great father, is very loving, plays with DS, and even is the one to put DS to sleep at night, per DS's request!

I guess I'm wondering if this is normal? Are there any other kids out there who are attached to both of their parents and show separation anxiety for the one who is not their primary caregiver?

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 11-24-2009, 01:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter gets this way over my mother, her "Nana". We lived with my mother for the first 2 years of my daughter's life, and recently bought a house and moved. We still see my mother quite often, but there are many times my daughter gets upset and wants to see Nana. I think it's normal. I am the primary caregiver obviously, but she has an extremely strong attachment to my mother, and does not like to separate from her at times.
#3 of 3 Old 11-24-2009, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My DS is like that with me, and sometimes his grandfather (my dad). DH and I both work FT, and DS is cared for during the day by my parents. When we're home in the evenings and on weekends, DS has a great time with DH as long as we're all together or I'm nearby, but if I leave to take a shower or something, DS does anything from fuss for a few minutes to a full meltdown. :-(

It seems to be better if I leave the house completely, like to go run an errand, or if he and DH are the ones leaving ME at home.

Mama to DS (7)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page