12 month old refuses to stay covered. - Mothering Forums

#1 of 14 Old 04-28-2004, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 12 month old dd refuses to wear covers at night. No matter what I do she takes the covers off. We go through the winter and I worry about her through the night because I can't check on her ever 20 min through the night. Everytime I do check on her the Covers are OFF. I have her in full sleepers but at night it gets cold. If I turn the heat up than it gets way too hot for the others and me.

Does anyone elses children refuse to wear covers? Why is this? What have you done?

steff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 04-28-2004, 11:07 AM

yep, we went thru that too. Still do at 22 months old. We cosleep so I know whe gets warmth from being near us. I just dressed her warm in the winter, sleepers and socks on. She seems to be a hot blooded little thing and get really hot under a cover. I figure if she is too cold, she'll wake up.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#3 of 14 Old 04-28-2004, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My 3 1/2 year old ds won't sleep under covers unless he's in our bed. The nights it's really cold, I start him out in the bed with us instead of in his. We also use the fleece typw sleepers for both the kids in the winter.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  11yo dd
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 9yo ds and 7yo ds
and 2yo ds 

#4 of 14 Old 04-28-2004, 11:38 AM

ds is 2 and absolutely refuses to wear covers. He's still cosleeping, but to keep him warm I give him 2 layers minimum when it's cold, plus make sure he has socks and Robeez on...
#5 of 14 Old 04-28-2004, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We use a similar approach to puppytails: For super cold nights, Karen wears thin pjs under heavy pjs of the next size up. Last night (not super cold, but the house was below 60), she wore a long-sleeved onsie and socks under her sleeper.
#6 of 14 Old 04-28-2004, 12:09 PM

DS runs warm just like DH. I put him in the footed sleepers and he is fine.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
#7 of 14 Old 04-28-2004, 01:39 PM

Same thing here. Even when I dress her warm I always feel like I have to put a cover on her. Most of the time she wakes up soon after and gets mad kicking the covers off. You think I'd learn.

The problem we have is that she sleeps in a bed beside ours for the first part of the night and then I'm with her from about 4 a.m. onwards. I need my covers so then I think she gets hot because she's got heavy pj's, me and the covers.
#8 of 14 Old 04-28-2004, 05:35 PM

I have this problem with all 3 of my kids. During co-sleeping, I started wearing flannel pajamas to bed so I wouldn't get cold. My body heat seemed to keep the child warm, so the footie pajamas were fine for them. When my daughter went through a phase of "sleeping around" (she'd go to sleep in her bed, but we'd wake up to find her in the hallway, on the floor of our room, in the closet, etc), I put her in two sets of pajamas and socks.
#9 of 14 Old 04-28-2004, 05:43 PM

Dd is 27 mos. and we co-sleep. While I shiver under the blankets, she's on top of them and even taking off her footy pajamas at times. As a kid, I was the same way. I slept best with a sheet and nothing but undies on (and my dad kept our house COLD!) in the wintertime and nothing but undies in the summer time. I've slept with a fan blowing at night since toddlerhood (can't barely sleep without one now) and dd loves a fan too. I think kids will adjust their own temperatures at night and there's nothing to worry about. If you get warm, I'd say turn on a fan, and let your kiddo do what's comfy for him/her.
#10 of 14 Old 04-28-2004, 05:50 PM

Most kids won't wear covers until almost age 3. If my dd gets a sheet or blanket so much as touching her she wakes up whining and writhing. Warm PJs should be enough for the night time. We sleep naked or almost naked msot night and turn the space heater thermostat to a comfy temperature. Now it is HOT where I live, so we sleep with the window cracked. In the morning I put PJs on dd when we drive DP to work so she stays warm. If your toddler is sleeping in another room I woulnd't recommend a space heater though.
L
#11 of 14 Old 04-28-2004, 07:05 PM

My ds (3) has always slept hot. He wears a diaper and a t-shirt, no covers. I used to worry about him getting cold. But, every time I checked his hands and feet, they were warm (almost hot) to the touch. So, I don't worry anymore. I trust that he knows what he needs. And it isn't covers.

Momma to three fine children, one that lives in my heart and two that live in my arms.
Circumcision is wrong, regardless of gender
#12 of 14 Old 04-28-2004, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

WOW, I didn't think this would be a common thing. From the sounds of it maybe she just doesn't need covers. I have worried about this for a long time. I have put double pj's on her but I kept thinking that she would be uncomfortable. I guess I'll stop worring so much. With her being so young I kept thinking she is cold and can't get the covers on her right.

Ever since I became a mother, Its like my heart is on the outside of my body walking all around me and I am forever worrying. MDC is an awsome place I tell you. I feel so much more relaxed about things after talking to other mothers here.

Thanks guys

steff
#13 of 14 Old 04-28-2004, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
just wanted to chime in to say if your dc is waking up at night because she's cold, then I'd worry. edited to add: if she's not waking at night and not purple when you pick her up in the morning, then i wouldn't worry.

I live in northern minnesota --->the furnance is running right now! Erin sleeps in a crib in her own room (which happens to be the coldest room in the house). When it is super cold out we put her in socks, knit pjs and a fleece sleeper with feet. If she wakes up cold then one of us goes in there and cosleeps on a single bed in there.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#14 of 14 Old 04-29-2004, 05:08 AM

My dd is almost three, and has never used a blanket. She wakes up angry if I try to cover her. My ped. told me to use her blanket sleeper as a blanket. So we put the tight, two-piece cotton pj's on after bath and that's what she runs around in. Then, at bedtime I put a sleeper on over those (in cold weather) and she sleeps fine.

My sisters kids are a little older, and anytime I babysit I'm always amazed that they sleep under blankets - I'm so used to my daughter freaking out about even a top sheet. Maybe one day she will.

Take care,

"Home is where the heart is, no matter how the heart lives." - PP&M

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page