Advice on ending naps at 2.5 years? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 04-09-2015, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Advice on ending naps at 2.5 years?

Hi!

Anyone do this with a 2.5 year old successfully and have advice on bedtime if wake up is 6.45am?

My DD's bedtime has drifted back until around 9-9.30 pm and she sleeps until around 6.45-7.30am. Since it's just her and I all day long, I am totally pooped at 9.30pm, once she is finally asleep (I still sit with her while she falls asleep) and I'm going coo-coo not being able to get anything done around the house.

So I did what everyone says NOT to do and I stopped making nap-time an easy thing. She would fall asleep fine in the car or stroller, or even in bed as long as we're napping at home consistently for a while around 12.30-1.30 then usually sleep for under 2 hrs.

So her previous schedule was 6.45-7.30 awake, nap at 12.30-2.30, asleep for night at 9.30pm which doesn't sound so horrible but it's just a really long day, especially since she takes sooooooo looooong to fall asleep and needs me there through the whole process.

So we decided to not nap one day when nap was going to happen too late. She was out at 6.30pm that night after about a 20 minute bedtime routine, woke once at 7.30 sounding horribly overtired, went back to sleep quickly then slept until morning (she typically night wakes 2-4 times). So she got a longer stretch that night than normal.

We tried a no-nap day the next week with the same success so I decided to do 2 days in a row of no nap. The second night was ROUGH at the beginning. She just kept waking early on, sounding pitiful. She did fine the rest of the time (normal 2.30 quick visit and smooch with mom then back to sleep), but since she sounded so tired I tried so hard to get a nap in for her today with no avail! We are on day 3 of no nap and I feel so bad for her because I expect her to be so tired tonight.

Anyway, if you've done this do you have any advice on transitioning them to no nap so young? I feel like after 3 days we're kind of "in it" and it's worth trying since bedtime is so, so, so soooooo much easier and then see if she adjusts with the rest of the night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 04-09-2015, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I stopped my kids napping between 2-2.5 years of age for the exact same reason. I have four kids. When they took forever to go to sleep and when bedtime kept getting later and later, daily naps were done in our house. We always experienced the same thing. They would go to bed really easily and early at night.

I took it a day at a time. Meaning some days were great and we just powered through the day just fine until bedtime. Other times, that child was just losing it and was visibly tired so I would opt to do a nap. I found that sometimes in the beginning, a child couldn't handle every day of no nap but sometimes a nap every other day was enough. The transition to napping to no nap is just that, a transition. And with any transition, it can take time. Most of my kids seemed to be completely fine with no naps at all after a few weeks, one did have to have a nap every few days for a few months. Just be careful in the late afternoon if you are driving around. We would have issues with the not napping child falling asleep while driving around with the big kids after school.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#3 of 3 Old 04-10-2015, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks so much! I love when moms with several children offer advice! I'm one of 4, but my own mother doesn't remember anything from this period of her life so she really can't offer and tips.

Did you find that ending naps caused more night wakings? Last night was pleasant at bedtime again. She fell asleep after about 10 minutes of goofing around in bed. She then woke 1 hr later, showing me she was clearly overtired, though she wasn't sounding as tortured as the other nights when she woke, just wanted to see me and be put back down and she went right to sleep. But she woke up a lot! like 4-5 times through the night and ultimately was waking because she really wanted me to stay with her the whole time, which she seemed to have outgrown. Just wondering if this is part of the transition or if I'm inviting a long standing increase in night waking this way. At 6.5 months pregnant, that is really unappealing to me!

Last edited by nj001; 04-10-2015 at 06:04 AM.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page