Travelling with a Toddler - Mothering Forums

#1 of 26 Old 05-24-2018, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Travelling with a Toddler

How was your experience during the first travel with your toddler? What are some tips you would want to share with others?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 05-30-2018, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are pretty lucky - my kids are all good travelers since they have been doing it since infancy. My best tips? 1. Take snacks you know your kid will eat. 2.Take a change of clothes for yourself and the littles on the plane. Don't ask how I learned that one. 3. This is not the time to be a stickler for rules. On a 16 hour flight my kids get the iPad (with their own kid sized earphones.) 4. Don't forget the blanket/special lovey or whatever thing it is that they need to feel secure.
#3 of 26 Old 06-02-2018, 04:42 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
If you are doing car trips, plan for a lot of side trips, look for inexpensive/free options to break the trip up (parks, roadside farm stands, landmarks). If your kid gets car sick, books and videos and so on are a no no, you are going to have to have them looking up and possibly have the windows open a little. Buses can be tricky too, my son would get sick on long distance buses, so yes, extra clothes are helpful. Try to strike a balance between fed and overindulging in snacky food as that can make car/travel sickness much much worse, some plain crackers or cookies can help settle a stomach. Tiny fiddly snacks like raisins can be a good distraction, I used to mix together raisins and whole grain cheerios so they'd have to pick them out slowly. If one of your side trips involves a visit to a store, you could maybe pick up a couple of new little diversions, match box cars, small dolls etc. otherwise put together a package of small toys they can reach into. Expect you may have to stop for a lot of washroom breaks.

#4 of 26 Old 06-07-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britney1991 View Post
How was your experience during the first travel with your toddler? What are some tips you would want to share with others?
book flights near his bedtime, or in the am. when we went to visit grandpa, the departure was at 7pm, so he passed right out after the plane took off (around 8). if I'm not mistaken, the trip back was early in the morning, so he was tired, and he again napped for most of the flight.

also, a pacifier for the ear pressure.
#5 of 26 Old 06-08-2018, 11:26 PM

Nice tips @mumto1 . Like it.
#6 of 26 Old 06-11-2018, 05:00 AM

My girls are on the road since they were born

They can't imagine their lives without traveling.
#7 of 26 Old 06-13-2018, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Traveling middle to long distances as a single mom was always a challenge. I prepared the trip so that I had various toys, video player, her pacifier (she loves using it and calms down quickly) and spare diapers. She got an additional layer so we haven’t had to stop too often.
We had only light food like nuts and raisins, sandwiches and muslibars and lots of water or tea to drink so she stayed hydrated.
#8 of 26 Old 07-03-2018, 01:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi! My first travel with my kids is awesome! Seeing my kids happy are one of the best things for a mom like me. But of course we need to keep them safe all the time while we are on a vacation. Keep your eyes on them all the time. Enjoy and Good luck!
#9 of 26 Old 10-17-2018, 09:45 AM

We travel a lot with our 2 boys and as they grow and they are getting use to it, it is becoming more and more easy . Our oldest son have always been easy traveling, but our youngest one ... it is an other story. When traveling by plane, our youngest one use to cry so much, I remember one time he cried for 3 hours alomost no stop, and I was so exhausted that I cried too , when I think about it now I laugh. Most people in the plane were nice and tryed to help. We now always make sure they have 1 or 2 favorite toys, a tablet with their favorite cartoons, and we often get up and walk in the plane.
I just created a youtube channel were you can see some of the travel with the kids, it is called Cecozy
But you make me think that next time I take the plane I should make a video!
#10 of 26 Old 10-30-2018, 11:33 PM

Cool Overall Great Experience

I have very much experience with my toddler we have shared some great memories with each other as well as we have traveled some part of USA, Europ and some eastern countries overall experience was great. I would like to share some tips from my personal experiences like 1) If you are flying then check in early as well as check the flight price for your kid 2) Make sure that you travel with lots of snacks. 3) And don't carry to much stuff with you It will make you upset.
#11 of 26 Old 03-21-2019, 11:30 PM

Traveling with a kid isn't an easy task, it requires a lot of planning and packing. You may pack anything for yourself but when it comes to your baby everything needs to be pure and organic in order to protect them from infections and other problems. Using Nature's baby organics for your kid when they're traveling is great.
#12 of 26 Old 08-06-2019, 01:10 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Traveling with a toddler on a plane is often the trickiest stage, definitely harder than traveling with an infant in some aspects. Having a toddler sleep on the plane is always a bonus! Bring a pillow or something like a Travel Snug for your toddler. They really do help to settle little ones. Use the airplane blanket to make a cover over the seats to shield from the cabin lights too.
#13 of 26 Old 08-07-2019, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
The first three months after Sarah's birth we traveled a lot, in these months we traveled more than we did our whole life. We went to Europe, South Asia, South America. We had a lot of travel destinations in our minds but the time was not enough. Sarah is a very quiet child, we didn't have too many problems with her. If you put her in one place, she stays there until you take her. It depends a lot by the child's temperament but if you travel with him since his birth, it will have a benefic impact on his character and his gonna feel good when his gonna travel in the future.
#14 of 26 Old 12-14-2019, 05:40 PM

Always have sanitizing wipes within your reach, bring extra clothes, bring with you a travel first aid kit, snacks, don't forget snacks it will keep them busy.
#15 of 26 Old 04-16-2020, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:

for plane trips I would highly recommend a tablet to play with, snacks that won't make a mess and some chewy sweets - on my DD's first flight she got a terrible pain in her ear from the air pressure changes. The flight attendent was really nice and gave her a plastic cup with paper soaked in hot water to hold next to her ear and it worked a treat!
#16 of 26 Old 06-01-2020, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Never forget diapers at home I REPEAT.. NEVER FORGET DIAPERS AT HOME!! On our first trip i forgot the diapers at home and it was the most uncomfortable experience of my life.
#17 of 26 Old 06-03-2020, 07:23 AM

It's a very good idea
#18 of 26 Old 07-03-2020, 02:14 AM

Very nice!
#19 of 26 Old 08-30-2020, 03:47 PM

Mine is totally okay when we travel (and we travel a lot, but not this year, unfortunately)
I think, there's no better vacation as to travel with your family and show your kids the world. Usually, mine is amazed at everything new and we don't have any troubles with his behaviour
#20 of 26 Old 09-18-2020, 02:05 AM

For me, travelling with children is much better than travelling alone 'cause you can become closer, though it might me hard sometimes if your children are small. Our best trip was around Canada, my husband and I rented a car at Iversta.com as we didn't have personal vehicle. It was quite convenient, they provided everything we needed for our toddler, so we could really enjoy the trip. Our children also liked it a lot, so we definitely gonna try it again.
#21 of 26 Old 09-20-2020, 11:28 AM

My son is now 7 months old. Tell me how to plan a trip? I'd like to go to New York with him for Christmas.
#22 of 26 Old 09-21-2020, 02:38 AM

Whenever you travel with your little baby, make sure to add the diaper rash cream to your diaper bag essentials, it is such a blessing. Cross check the ingredients, I have been using the one by the moms co, it has worked for me.
#23 of 26 Old 09-22-2020, 11:30 PM

Young children are good for simple flights or crossings. As a rule, most of the time children sleep. Try to arrange for the child to have a comfortable place to sleep and, if possible, stick to the usual daily routine. When you booking hotel https://hotelfriend.com , pay attention to the location of the hotel, the grounds and the room you will be living in. It should be a spacious room. It is best that the hotel was not near the transport highway and discos.
#24 of 26 Old 09-24-2020, 04:08 AM

Whenever you travel with a toddler keep everything ready in your diaper bag just in case you need anything, especially a diaper rash cream because during travelling diaper rashes are so common due to no frequent changing. Try to invest in a natural baby rash cream that keeps you sorted during your travel. I have been using the baby rash cream by the moms co. and it has worked for me so well.
#25 of 26 Old 10-02-2020, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Toddler should not be in any meaning a burden to travel, but if it's via airliner consult with airline company about their options, even if it's third party company again ask them about possibilities and details to be aware of. They know - all of them what consultation should be told.
#26 of 26 Old 10-04-2020, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Absolutely agree with previous comment. In our case we did not travel with toddlers, but we saw problems for couples regarding stroller or additional bags with diapers and all stuff that is needed while traveling. Company policies are different in some of these things. We use https://tripduck.com/lisboa/ and they always ask us about everything. To be sure everything is clear and visible. We like that. They offered us great trips from Corfu we discuss this week to choose which one. But, our kids will decide at the end. They already chose Lisboa and that option is in our "favorites".

Tags
travelling with babies , travelling with toddler

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page