How is life with a toddler and a baby? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 05-30-2020, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How is life with a toddler and a baby?

I have 2 toddlers, 13 months and 2.5 years old. Honestly, it’s great. We’re actually planning a 3rd.
2 is easier than one in some ways because they keep each other entertained. My older child is not toilet trained. I try to always change them at the same time. I bathe them one after the other in the kitchen sink. They are the same gender and at this point close enough in size that they share a lot of clothes. They teach each other a lot, even this young.
It’s physically harder in some ways, more lifting, carrying etc. We bed share, I tandem nursed for about a year, it has it’s plusses and minuses but overall I would tandem again. They don’t sleep through the night, but I figure that these are the years I can have kids and in my 40s I can sleep the night again. Also, they usually wake up on the same schedule anyway if they bedshare.
You have to really go with the flow. Everything takes longer, but if you know this is what you want to be doing with your time right now it’s fine. I don’t push them to do things and it’s less stressful for everyone. They go to sleep when they show signs of being tired. Then they don’t fight so much. I do force baths. But they like the baths anyway. The older one weaned when it was time. Will potty train when ready. I don’t worry about whether they walked on schedule or anything. If nobody is getting hurt, I see no reason to get involved if they shout over a toy. They’ll learn to work it out. They’ll figure out how to put on their own shoes. Nobody is still sucking their thumb at 30. And I like my kids and like being around them, most of the time.
The things I find really important are
1) try to keep stress to a minimum. If something is very stressful, ask yourself how important it really is and decide if it’s worth the stress.
2) NO JUNK FOOD IN THE HOUSE I cannot take care of kids who are jacked up on junk food and crazy. I don’t care who thinks that crazy and ‘just one lollypop’ and ‘all the other kids have it’ I’m the mother, I deal with the consequences, I make the rules. You go raise your own kids. My kids can eat raisins and say thank you.
3) The whole house has to be pretty child proof
4) I try to not to schedule things for mornings
5) A good crock pot (2 actually, one to put oatmeal in on a timer before bed so I wake up to a hot breakfast, and 1 for dinners)
6) balanced meals have to happen on time so people don’t get crazy. They don’t have to gourmet. They need to be nutritious.
7) If the kid is hungry, they will eat. No kid ever starved to death because she didn’t like the food.
8) a good sense of humor.
Have fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 09-24-2020, 04:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Life can be difficult with 2 children of that age and getting time for yourself as a mother will be impossible. So every now and then take care of yourself , treat yourself to a nice spa, manicure or a skincare routine if that excites you. Ask your folks to take care of your little ones while you get some me time. I have been enjoying a good skincare routine it unwinds me and gives me so much confidence. I only trust the natural beauty products by the moms co. they have such great ingredients.
#3 of 3 Old 10-01-2020, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi everyone

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page