2 year olds in full-time Montessori? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 09-07-2004, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're strongly considering Montessori for our DD. I'm going to tour the school next month. Have heard lots of good things about it and I'm excited about the prospects.

However, I'm learning that this school (and maybe Montessoris in general?) encourage 2 year olds to attend 5 days a week, either full days or half days. !!??

I imagine that every kid is unique at 2 years, but this seems a bit intense to me. Maybe at 3 or 4, but to send my wee one off for a full day, every day at 2? My knee jerk response is that it sounds like the childcare dilemma - all or nothing.

I'd appreciate any thoughts ya'll might have about this - 2 years old in full-time school....yeah or nay in your opinon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 09-07-2004, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Well it depends on what they mean by full time but I would say that it's okay for some children that age but not the majority.

Troll? Here's me...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 of 8 Old 09-07-2004, 11:01 AM

As I understand it, "real" Montessori schools do want kids to be there every day. There are some places that call themselves Montessori, but they're not necessarily affiliated with the American Montessori Society (which doesn't require affiliation). Anyway, what happens is that, because the name isn't copyrighted, almost any place can call itself a Montessori school.

If you go to www.montessori.org, you'll see a FAQ section, and it talks briefly about the consistency kids get from being in school every day, and also from going through the whole preschool-kindergarten cycle in the same program.

I don't know if I necessarily agree with that, but it's the philosophy. I think 5 days of school are a bit much for the youngest kids, but of course there are plenty of kids in day care full time who handle a "school"-like environment. I think it depends on the child.

If it's a good school, one of the teachers ought to be able to guide you a bit and help you understand whether full time school is right for your 2 year old.

#4 of 8 Old 09-07-2004, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama
Well it depends on what they mean by full time
8:30am-2:30pm Mon-Fri
#5 of 8 Old 09-07-2004, 02:06 PM

Real Montessori schools rarely will accept kids younger that 2.5 or 3 because the Montessori practices are difficult to use with kids younger than that. However, look for a Montessori based program. Lucy (2) goes two mornings a week to a Montessori based pre school that is uses manipulatives geared to the younger set. At three, I will probably switch her to the acedemic Montessori school- but that school does not require full time- only attendance on Mondays because this is when the children's works are changed out and the teachers use the time to acquaint the children with them. Montessori is great for us and has been incredibly successful for my younger brother (5) who has some neurological problems. It has allowed him to achieve in the areas that come naturally for him and work more slowly on those that are challenging- without holding him back or having any LD stigms. We love it!
#6 of 8 Old 09-07-2004, 03:25 PM

My dd (20 months) just started a Montessori school that is Tues, Wed, and Thurs. from 8:45 to 11:45. They do want them to go the consecutive days, but for the toddlers obviously not five days a week. I think next year though (starting at 2.5 yo) the program is five days. They were awesome about easing her in though with a few hours until she gets used to it, and I think if you're going to do any kind of care, Montessori is very consistent with AP, down to nutritious snacks and all that.

Good luck...that sounds like a long day for a tod to me. Is a nap involved?
Peace.
#7 of 8 Old 09-07-2004, 03:52 PM

I worked at a "real" Montessori school and we had 2 year olds come in from 8:30am - 12 noon. Also we had some children come in only certain days a week for a few months before they started attending everyday.
#8 of 8 Old 09-08-2004, 04:16 PM
Banned

Personally, I think it is too long to be away from Mama, unless Mama has to work! It's a long day and a long time away from the comforts of Mommy and home. Our children are little for such a short period of time...soon enough they are off at school full-time, and then growing away from us faster than the blink of an eye. My opinion: why rush it? I am not a believer that kids need professional teaching before kindergarten, unless they have special needs (and I am a teacher!) JM2cents.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page