helping young toddlers talk about feelings (aka my dd's obsession with saddness) - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 03-22-2005, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my 19 month old talks bout how she is sad about things all day long...but they are trivial things...like
in our abc book "i" is for island and today she announced that she was sad about the island and then made sad sounds...\
but them she said it on and off over and over all day long....
i tried to get her to explain what she even meant.....she could/would not give me much more info....
and every day it is something else.....she is said about the cat
one day sad about the swing.....(and i can really not understand how or why she picks the things she does)
so anyway
she does use it correctly some times...like when she got a tummy flu she said she was sad about puke....or if someone cries she tells me they are sad....

any advice for helpin gme understand what she means or how to help her understand the coplex issues of feelings?
thanks
s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-22-2005, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
My dd has been doing something similar for quite a while. Before she could talk much, she'd just make a sort of fake-crying sound, and nowadays she still sometimes does that, but also says, "cry" or "cried" all the time about minor things that bothered her in some way but that she didn't actually cry about. I figure she's just trying to say, "Something about this bothers me," and that's usually how I describe it to her: "Oh, that bothered you?" Most of the time, the things that bother her aren't quite as mysterious as your dd's things, though (but sometimes they are.)
#3 of 4 Old 03-23-2005, 01:13 AM

Wow! IT's so interesting to hear other people talk about their kids doing this! For a few weeks, we had DS saying both sad and frustrated. Now he's reverted to everything is making him sad. When DP and I try to offer other emotions (frustrated, disappointed) he yells, "no, SAD." Sometimes it works to ask him to say some things that make him happy. Or we ask him, "does nursing make you happy?" or other things to which we KNOW the answer is yes, and sometimes we can get him out of his SAD state, and thinking about happier things.

I think so much of language development comes fromthem hearing it over and over again. I think when you model the kinds of things you want your child to be able to express, they hear it, and eventually pick up on how to use it..initially in very general ways, and eventually in the specific and accurate way.

Katie, DW to Megin, Mamma to Quinn (7y.o.) and Wylie, born 07-04-10

#4 of 4 Old 03-23-2005, 02:33 AM

My DD is obsessed with sad too. This started though when she got her 'My own learning leap' which has a cartridge about feelings and they talk about different feelings and for a couple days she would randomly blurt out 'I'm sad'. (My DD absolutely adores this toy) Though I knew this was from hearing it sung and in the stories, etc. She is still pretty obsessed about it, but it seems to be mostly trying to figure out what it means. We read a lot and she always points out if any of the characters in the book look sad - that would be one good way to start. Even if its not a big deal in the story, maybe talk about why the fish is sad and why this fish is happy, etc? (We have 'Rainbow fish to the rescue' and the whole time she points at the one little sad fish and says 'he's sad' in a forlorn little voice) At this point I don't take many of the things that DD says at face value as she is an excellent mimic and will repeat whole sentences she hears elsewhere.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page