When to start with training pants? Underwear? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 13 Old 03-24-2005, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so confused! I have heard and read so many different things about potty training and I'm not sure what is best. DD just starting peeing in a little potty at daycare this week (she is only there 2 days a week). She is still having wet diapers throughout the day and is reluctant to use the little potty or regular toilet at home.

Some say not to switch to training pants until they can tell the difference between them and a diaper. So is that when she uses the potty all day and doesn't have any wet diapers?

I have also read about these "quick training" methods that put the kid immediately into regular underwear, no trainers at all. That seems a little too rushed to me.

We have some padded cloth training pants, some waterproof training pants and some underwear but I'm just not sure which to use. She did pee a tiny little bit in the potty last night and then wanted to wear panties, but she wet in the cloth trainers I put on her. They are constructed very similarly to her side snap cloth diapers and pretty thick, so she might not be able to tell that they are panties. We have always used cloth diapers and plan to use all cloth trainers too.

We aren't in any hurry, I want to go at her pace. What's my next step??

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 03-24-2005, 04:51 PM

My 3.5 year old is potty learning as we speak. This is day three. He does great if he is not wearing anything at all. If I put underwear on him, he will pee in them. Same thing with cloth training pants or the pull-ups my friend gave us. We are just going to go with the naked butt theory for now since it is working. I am just not sure what to do when he goes back to the daycare at the university where I have classes. He is only there one day a week for three hours, so we will have to see what works there since he can't go around naked butt.

Rebecca wife of Megan...moms to six crazy kiddos! Seth (15), Madison (13), Zachary (12), Trevor (12), Alex (10), and Nicholas (9)
#3 of 13 Old 03-24-2005, 05:26 PM

DS is only 17 months, so we are not in the potty learning stage yet (although, I do have a friend who thinks that we should be? ) But, in my early twenties, I was a nanny and I had full time charge of five different toddlers in all (different families, at different times) so I do have some experience in this area. All children learn at their own pace. Some learn by the time they are two, some learn by the time they are three, some learn by the time they are in kidergarten. Some learn quickly and some learn slowly. They will all learn at their own pace in their own way. I have never met an adult who was still in diapers because their parents didn't "train" them properly, so our plan is not to sweat it.

I would let your DD lead the way. From what I have heard from our wonderful DCP, many of the children will spend the whole day at "school" in underpants and spend nights and weekends at home in diapers. They think that it's because of positive peer pressure (maybe that explains why DS eats brocolli and all sorts of colorful veggies there but not at home! :LOL ). Perhaps that it what's happening with your DD?

Rest assured, your DD will make the transition from dipes to potty (and you may just find yourself wishing that she were still in dipes so that you wouldn't have to stop to pee EVERYWHERE you go! :LOL )

#4 of 13 Old 03-24-2005, 07:10 PM

Our son picked up on potty learning fast. (maybe this was my reward for a brutal delivery). We devolped a system. Whenever he went pee he received 1 sticker to place on his toilet and 2 for poo. He picked out his own stickers. Worked great. When the sticker excitement wore off we went to chuck e cheese tokens. Same system...he put the tokens in his piggy bank and we'd go to cec every 2 weeks. (weekdays arent's so crowded). Then we let him pick out his own big boy undies and he couldn't wait to get them on. He had a couple pee accidents at first. I just never understood the whole "pull-up" method. Seems like a diaper to me. He is 3.5 and has been in big boy undies for 13 months. He's wet the bed several times in the past year, but we make sure he goes pee right b4 bed. Hope this helps! PS, 2 weeks ago he decided he know longer needed his lil potty. I was proud and heartbroken at the same time. They grow too fast!
#5 of 13 Old 03-24-2005, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynJen
I would let your DD lead the way. ...

Rest assured, your DD will make the transition from dipes to potty (and you may just find yourself wishing that she were still in dipes so that you wouldn't have to stop to pee EVERYWHERE you go! :LOL )

I have to agree! I wanted dd to be trained because I was tired of washing diapers, but didn't push it. I bought a little potty for each bathroom when she was almost 2. I would ask her if she wanted to pee on it, but with no pressure or reward. She was still in diapers all of the time, excpet when she was naked (which was quite frequently). We did go to the store to pick out panties & explained to her that she could wear them when she went on the potty because they didn't hold the pee like diapers.

In the fall, when she was about 28, 29 months or so she just started going on her own. I didn't do rewards, but treated it more as a step to growing up & being a girl & not a baby. We would clap & laugh & sometimes she would want to call grandma, but that's about it. I thought about using trainers, but it seemed to be going well without them & I thought she might confuse them with diapers.

About 2 months ago, she had naps without a diaper & has had some accidents & last night was her first night without a diaper. I've explained to her that she doesn't have to wear a diaper at night if she wakes up to go pee (she is in bed with us & I don't feel like changing sheets in the middle of the night - we did use a pad with a towel on it though).

I don't know how big of deal it is to have a 'system' because your dd is in daycare (I know someplaces want them to be potty trained by a certain age).

I just figured it will happen & it's not worth stressing about.

Pooping on the potty..a whole other story! She's pretty regular so I have to try & catch her getting ready to poop & then put her on the potty. She doesn't have a problem if I do that, but she won't go on her own.

Good luck!
#6 of 13 Old 03-24-2005, 09:45 PM

I don't have an answer but my DD is interested in the potty, but doesn't go in it. She just wants to go sit on it, put toilet paper in the toilet and wash her hands. This is compounded by the problem taht she can now take off all her clothes and her diaper. I tried a day of 'just go naked and she'll learn fast' as a lot of folks have said, but it just involved me cleaning pee up everywhere. So I've decided to use training pants when she doesn't want to wear her diaper. She is in disposables, so I figure at least her peeing hte training pants is a step in the right direction. I really don't care about her potty training at this age - I'd be happy to wait, but she's forcing hte issue and I don't want my carpet peed on everywhere!

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#7 of 13 Old 03-24-2005, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm sure she will get there eventually; I just don't want to do it wrong.

We've tried letting her go naked a few times and she just pees on the carpet with no indication that she even notices it. When she was younger she was really good about telling us when her diaper was wet or poopy, but now that diaper changes are a major inconvenience in her busy toddler schedule she insists she is dry all the time (even when not).

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
#8 of 13 Old 03-30-2005, 07:41 AM

were ecers...we started training pants at 6 months, regular panties by 7 months. my daughter is now 17 months and it usually goes like this: start nakeybutt... if there is a pee out of potty she will go in panties, another pee and she goes in trainers, another pee and its diapers. she loves her little panties so its incentive i guess... natural consequences.

<<We've tried letting her go naked a few times and she just pees on the carpet with no indication that she even notices it.>>
have you tried calling her attention to what is happening? my daughter kind of does that. she will pee on her feet then look down like 'when did that happen?' and say 'eeeeeww'... but at least she isnt freaked out that she is peeing. ive known children who were terrified because they didnt know what was happening.

<<When she was younger she was really good about telling us when her diaper was wet or poopy, but now that diaper changes are a major inconvenience in her busy toddler schedule she insists she is dry all the time (even when not).>>
it sounds like she's learned that pee goes in a diaper.
have you tried a baby sign for wetness/dirty diaper? my daughter pats her hip and says 'weh!'

Mother to Sandrel(oct 2003) and Liesl(mar 2006) and someone new coming February 2013

#9 of 13 Old 03-31-2005, 01:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We go cold turkey. The first hint that they get what the little potty is for they go to cloth undies full time. it is a mess for about 3 days, and requires us to concentrate on it and not leave the house for about 2 weeks but is usually quick and painless.

We have started anywhere from 14-18 months. My first two were night trained first and then quickly day trained. my youngest is just now night trained but was day trained before her second birthday. within a few weeks. I htink it is easier when they are yonger because they haven't got so much of an aopnion about it,

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#10 of 13 Old 03-31-2005, 02:02 AM

ok, lilyka, i have to know, what is your method? i'm in no rush to potty train my two if they aren't ready (we have little training potties but haven't really introduced any serious potty training yet so i don't know) but if it's possible to avoid having *three* in diapers when the new little bean gets here, i would be entirely open to that possibility! how do you know that they "get" what the potty is for? do you try to get them to communicate to you when they have to go or just rush them over to the potty when you see a tinkle in progress and eventually they get the idea? mine tell me when they are wet or poopy so i know the are aware of what's going on in their dipes... i'm so curious as to how you did it.

(on a side-note, i used to live in sioux falls... it was one of the friendliest places i've lived. i really miss it!)
#11 of 13 Old 04-01-2005, 02:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't really have a method. the key is to start very young before they really have an opinion and before any defiance for defiance sake has set in. Madeline loved little seats and loved being naked so being a mutitasker and someone who knows a good thing when she sees it I bought the potty and popped in a veideo. Went nuts when she went. She caught on quickly. Tried that with my second one, all she got out of t was that you are supposed to watch movies naked. So it was summer and she ran naked a lot. After it ran down her legs several times she figured out the connection. Ava just will do anything her big sisters tell her so I let them take over.

So start young. as early as 12 or 14 months is good for introducing the potty and seeing if they can make the connection on thier own. My first two potty trained arounf the time they could make it through the night dry. There was six months between the time my 3rd was in panties by day and when she started starying dry through the night. But when it happened it happened all at once as it did with my other two. Cold turkey. Once you commit to potty training do not go back. If they hard holding poop back let them poop in a diaper and if they can't make it through the night you mkae the call. My friend says it works just as well at night if you are co-sleeping so long as you don'tmind changing wet sheets at night. I do. especially if I am sleeping in them. So i was willing to wait on night training. So then clear your calander and have your groceries delivered and expect accidents if you do leave. But just be sure you can focus on them 100% for a couple of weeks and with consistancy of reminding them to go , to sit for a while, and catching them as soon as an accident starts they will catch on pretty quick. But you really can't be busy with anything else. All three of mine were PT by the 2nd birthday. I think it would have been much harder had i waited even 6 more months.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#12 of 13 Old 04-01-2005, 04:05 AM

My 3 yo (38 months) just made the big switch. We have had the potty and have been talking, trying, etc...for a long time, but getting only occaisional interest. Disposable trainers seemed to hurt more than they helped.

My daughter LOVES doing laundry. So, one day, she was helping me empty the dryer, and inside she kept finding underwear (her size!) - each time, she would say "BIG GIRL UNDERWEAR!" - very curious/pleased. 36 hours later, when getting dressed for the day she said "I want to wear underwear." End of story. She had a few accidents (2/week?) Poops took about 2 extra days. (The first 2 she would request a pull-up to make a poop)

We do use pull-ups at night as we co-sleep and she wets the bed 1 to 2 times/week. Lazy mommy.

Good luck!
#13 of 13 Old 04-01-2005, 11:36 AM

I've done it slightly differently with each kid. We started with all of them with having a potty available and encouraging them to try it out at different times. Both my boys started out peeing in the potty before bath, and then occasionally other times. When they were about 2 1/4 we went to undies, and I just encouraged them lots to use the potty when they needed to, and didn't comment much about accidents other than an "Oops, let's get you changed" kind of thing. They both caught on pretty quickly over a few days. Oldest ds didn't want to poop in the potty, but my dcp set him all up with books and snacks and kept him company after lunch one day (his favorite time to poop) and eventually he went in the potty. She made a huge fuss over him, and after that he did it regularly.
My older dd just wasn't very interested at all, but woke up one day, demanded big girl underwear, and was done with diapers all in one day. She was about 2 1/2.
My little dd is learning now, and I have a whole other thread going about it. She had been using her potty occasionally, and almost every morning for months before we started. We went first to nakedness and that worked quite well, with just a few accidents. Yesterday, she stayed dry all day while we were out shopping, but I'd put a diaper on her just in case - so we just had to take it on and off all day.
I think they all get it eventually, and there isn't any one good set method.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page