Need nap help with one year old! PLZ!!! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 03-31-2005, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My one year old refuses to take a nap without being held. He has always been that way. At night, we give him milk or juice and have some cuddle time until he falls asleep. Then we put him in the crib and he sleeps until in the morning.

But during the day, we get a drink, we cuddle, he falls asleep, I go to lay him down ANYWHERE, and he is immediately awake! Don't get me wrong, I would love to be able to hold him through all his naps, but I just CAN'T. Isn't nap time supposed to be the time when moms get things done? Or take a shower, or comb their hair.

Any suggestion and any sympathy would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 03-31-2005, 08:30 PM

No advice, just sympathy. My 18 month old is still like this. After 6 months of working very hard on independent naps, we still only get about 45 minutes before I have to hold her for the remaining 1.5 hours. But I do RELISH that 45 minutes.....it was hard won! It will get better....
#3 of 6 Old 03-31-2005, 09:13 PM

We were like that until the last couple weeks. Now I'll nurse him to sleep and take him back to our bed and lay down with him for a couple minutes. He'll usually sleep for an hour. I try to nurse him back to sleep and sometimes it works and he'll be good for another hour but sometimes it doesn't and he's up.
But it used to be that I couldn't even *move* or he'd wake up.

ETA: Could it be where you are trying to put them down? DS will NOT take a nap in his crib but he's fine there at night.

#4 of 6 Old 03-31-2005, 09:38 PM

Can you get him to fall asleep where he's going to sleep, so you just have to get up and leave? E.g. nursing side lying on the bed, etc.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#5 of 6 Old 03-31-2005, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Could you try slinging him so he can be held and you can get stuff done? Hard to shower, but other stuff...
#6 of 6 Old 04-01-2005, 12:54 AM

I have my best luck with naps if I let DS nurse to sleep while lying with him on a mattress on the floor. When he's out, I get up and get a few things done (if I don't fall asleep with him...) - hey, now I'm envious of those whose babies sleep for more than 45 minutes. We're happy to get 30-45 minute naps and then once DS wakes up, that's it, he's up, unless he's sleeping on DH, in which case the two of them will stay sacked out on the couch for up to 2 hours!!

Okay, so that probably wasn't very helpful, so my sympathy and companionship, we're in the same boat.

Mom of (11/27/03) and (9/29/06).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page