Travelling red eye with a toddler - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 04-29-2005, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mamas,

So has anyone out there gone on a red eye flight with a toddler? We are going to NYC from Portland OR (5 hour flight) and a cheaper non stop is a red eye. Anyone ever done this? DD will be about 17 mos old when we do it (perhaps walking by then).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 04-29-2005, 03:40 PM

Oooh, you are brave! I would suggest having some baby friendly calming herbs available to use. Good luck!
#3 of 7 Old 04-29-2005, 05:43 PM

We traveled to England when my son was almost 10 months (big age difference, I know). He did much better on the flight over, which was overnight, because he slept 6 out of the 8 hours. (We were able to get a discounted seat for him and he sat in his carseat.) The flight back was during the day and much more difficult for him because he only slept about 2 or 3 hours and cried inconsolably for at least 2 hours...not even nursing helped

So for us, night flying was actually easier, but every kid is different...

#4 of 7 Old 04-29-2005, 10:58 PM

Best flight I ever took with my toddler was a red-eye when she was 15 months - It wasn't supposed to be - I was travelling alone with her and it was supposed to be a morning flight, but we checked in only 44 minutes before the flight and they wouldn't let us board because the cutoff is 45 minutes (GRRR), then put us on a 1pm flight that got delayed to 9pm. We took a few trips to and from the airport that day - Annnnnyway, she slept the entire flight and it was wonderful!

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#5 of 7 Old 04-29-2005, 11:43 PM

I guess it depends on your DC's tempermant but DD usually wakes up for the trip to the airport and stays awake until the plane takes off then she goes right to sleep. She is not fussy when she wakes so we take red eyes (much shrter trips. though) and it works out better than having her awake and wanting to move all around the plane or me!

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#6 of 7 Old 04-30-2005, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter

This is all good stuff to think about and talk over with DH. I'm leaning towards taking a chance with the red eye. I know she sleeps really well in her car seat (we drove up to Portland from San Fran and she slept almost the whole time) of course I say that now and surely she will surprise me come September....
#7 of 7 Old 04-30-2005, 03:30 AM

I just got home yesterday morning (ok, day before yesterday now!) on a red eye w/my 20 month old. On the way out we had a regular flight & she slept 2 hrs (4.5 hr flight, plus 1 hr connection). On the way back she slept 3 hrs. She woke up when we landed & was awake & tired & unhappy through the connecting flight. She slept 5 hrs after getting home & went to bed at 8 pm (regular time) and slept until noon today! Then she went to bed at 8 again tonight but woke after 2 hours to poop & now I am still up with her at 1:30am!!!

It works fine for the flight, but be prepared for it to affect her sleep the next few days!

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page