Snacks for toddler while travelling? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 06-23-2005, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're about to go on a week-long vacation with our toddler. We're going to Houston, which is a 12 hour drive, approximately.

So, I need to take lots of snacks for the long drive there and back - it needs to be stuff that will keep well in heat (the RV will be hot while driving most likely), won't make a huge mess, and is reasonably healthy.

So far about all I've come up with are cheesy crackers, Triscuits, possibly marshmallows..... I dunno what else. Not a very healthy selection for DS!

Any suggestions or ideas for good snacks? The little critter doesn't like cereal, unfortunately, which makes the perfect snack.

TIA for any ideas!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 06-23-2005, 04:07 PM

Some of my DS's favorites that meet your criteria:

Raisins
Dried cranberries
Bananas
Pretzels
Single-serving drink boxes of soy/rice milk

If I think of any more, I'll post again.

Christine , wife of Ron , mama to Tony (4-25-03) and Maria (3-19-06) :
#3 of 7 Old 06-23-2005, 04:10 PM

dried fruit like cranberries and apples

rice cakes

from our health food store dd loves whole wheat sesame sticks

that's all I can think of now.

#4 of 7 Old 06-23-2005, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Robert's Veggie booty or Pirate Poofs (should find them at health food store). These always helped ds.

Apple slices... peeled and sliced and put into an easy to hold tupperware container.

When my ds was a toddler he loved it when I took a whole wheat flour tortilla and put a thick layer of spreadable goat's milk cheese (cream cheese will work). Then I'd fold it in half and cut little bite size squares. Yum!

Good luck! Be sure to hit up a dollar store for some nick knacks for those desperate moments.

lilgreen
#5 of 7 Old 06-23-2005, 04:26 PM

Oh oh - pick me!!!!! We travel a great deal across a span of land with practically no place to stop.

I am not a fan of rice cakes because they make a lot of crumbs and toddlers can choke on them easily.

I take a bag of baby carrots and steam them so they are super soft. If dc is a choker you might want to also cut them in half lengthwise. They are still "finger food" but soft enough to chew easily.

Tortilla nut butter "crackers". I use whole wheat tortillas, spread nut butter on, put another torilla on top, and cut into wedges. More durable (and heat resistant) than bread, less crumbly than crackers, and a high protien source. I have also used refried beans as filler. Just go easy on whatever filler you use so it is not dripping out the sides.

Bananas are always a safe bet.

Sippy cup smoothy slush. Make very-well-pureed smoothies out of whatever you like (I use almond milk and fresh fruit), pour into sippy cups, and freeze. Halfway through the trip, you have a nicely melted but still cold "protien shake". Wrap these in towels to keep the condensation from soaking everything in the area. If you use a fruit with small seeds or a lot of fiber, try a sport bottle instead of sippy cup.

Apple slices.

Dried papaya strips. Littler dried fruit tends to end up all over the place....it is hard to eat little things while sitting reclined in a carseat.

Fantastic Foods makes a couple of cup-a-soup like things. I stash a few in the car in case we end up at a fast food restaurant and nothing is appropriate for little kids. We will often stop at a ff rest to use the bathroom, get some coffee, and change dd. In that few minute break, I ask for hot water from the counter and make a quick soup (usually black bean or split pea). We do this primarily in the winter when there is too much snow for outdoor diaper change breaks.

And lastly, I always keep a few toddler size jars of organic baby food. Usually fruit or cereal/fruit mix. Dd never has these at home but sometimes it is a real treat for one of us to sit back with her and spoon feed her the jar like when she was a baby. she gets a kick out of it. And really anything that will buy some time is worth it IMO.
#6 of 7 Old 06-24-2005, 12:21 PM

I didn't start this thread, but I just have to say thanks for all the great ideas! We're going on a long plane trip tomorrow, and you all gave me some great tips, just in the nick of time.

Christine , wife of Ron , mama to Tony (4-25-03) and Maria (3-19-06) :
#7 of 7 Old 06-24-2005, 02:04 PM

OK so I carry with me
peas in the pod
olives
carrot sticks
apples - sliced and skinned
cucumber
watermelon (in small chunks)
cherries
crisps (or chips as you call them)
biscuits (or cookies - no chocolate - it makes too much mess)
grissini sticks
bananas
green beans (haricot vert)
think thats about it, it does change depending on the season though - in the winter i have been known to carry slightly cooked broccoli and cauliflower they love them.
hope you have a good trip

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page